Why are Atheists so intolerant of Theists.....

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Something my Father taught me.
Never, never make fun of a mans wife,Religion or politics.

Now on a Thread I can see 2 of these point being somewhat open for some slinging back and forth.
When it gets really ignorant, well, just ruins a thread.

Next- Would Members be so Gall Damned rude in a face to face conversation. Doubt it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Some people have a 'live and let live' attitude and others don't. (Some may think they do, but in reality they don't because they're really far too judgemental for that.) Some will listen politely as you state your thoughts, digest what you're saying and try to understand where you are coming from. Others they just can't wait to be able to tell you how wrong you are.

None of these attributes are culturally based, religious based, gender based, etc.....it all varies by the individual. I just figure that I'll try to engage and converse with those who take the time to listen, and I'll take the time to listen to them. Everybody else I basically try to ignore.

(Unless they're really ignorant and rude, then I'll tell 'em off. :D)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Judge not lest yea be judged. I wish adults would make up their minds. If we're not allowed to judge won't we get in with a bad crowd. Today we should tolerate the intolerable, same thing. New improved bad advice.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is intolerance of Theists ... or preachers?

Indeed. The ones who try to push it on others are the ones I have a problem with. Even the most vocal of the "new atheists" like Hitchens and Dawkins have drawn that line. Don't try to force it on others and don't try to force it on others or put in in the science class. Im fine with having religion and philosophy classes but they should be separate from science.

When it comes to Christians - the majority of the very vocal religious people here just happen to be Christians. I was raised Catholic and it wasnt very pleasant. Left a rather bad taste in my mouth. If I had been raised by Muslims in a country predominantly Muslims I imagine the effect would have been similar. I don't blame all Christians for my experiences or have a problem with Christians in general. I have a problem with Christians who force it on others. Muslims too, or Hindus, any of them really.

Historically speaking up until relatively recently a person could be killed or imprisoned for being an atheist. That is still the case in some parts of the world. I would call that intolerance. So some atheists are vocal and say some stupid things from time to time, no one is stopping any religious person from practicing their religion.

Something my Father taught me.
Never, never make fun of a mans wife,Religion or politics.

Personally im fine with making fun of anything or having anything about me made fun of in the right situation. When it comes to a thread like this, probably not. Constructive criticism or debate on the other hand is very different from making fun of something. Though some people do not know the difference.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I'm an atheist. Zealotry comes in many forms. Some atheists are as zealous as the most zealous Christians, Muslims, or other believers. I suspect that the atheists who are zealots are seeking some form of validation. That's too bad. Imo quiet acceptance of oblivion should be enough.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
some people are intolerant of other people, one can't generalize if they are religious, atheists or
anything else, it just takes all kinds to live on this earth, i would think that if you questioned
individuals within most 'groups', you would find quite a mixture of different acceptances, intolerances,
those who couldn't care less, and on and on.

i am an atheist, and i accept people who are religious or non religious, as long as they are
not rude, mean, liars, or smell awful.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
You have to look past what that person thinks and believes , it is just a shield or an excuse to use to be what he truly is , an A hole.
Those who are tolerant are so by nature and the come from all walks of life, the problem with that is they are quiet about it and can't really be counted in numbers. Those that are intolerant make themselves know pretty clearly and they too come from many and different beliefs. It is for those one tends to use a wide brush for.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Many Christians would probably lump me in with the atheists, as I don't hesitate to say I am not a religious person and not Christian, even though I was raised in a moderately devout Lutheran family. I am a theist agnostic: I don't know what gods exist but there is too much in this universe for me to explain without accepting the possibility they may be there.

I am not about to nay-say anyone, except when their beliefs threaten to trample me and mine. I find evangelical theists and atheists equally obnoxious but one primary difference is I don't see very many atheists trying to undercut science with ridiculous "theories" of their own, and demanding equal play time in front of impressionable youth and especially my kid. I don't want your religion pushed on my kid: thats my choice, not yours (and TBH I am sending my son to a catholic school simply because it offers the best education in the area).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There is a rigidity to some people and their views, we've all experienced that. And I think because we've all experienced that, there are also those who also enter into any discussion on certain topics (religion, politics, etc) more or less in an offensive position, as in the best defense is a good offense kind of thing. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they don't realize they're doing that but a lot of times they are. It's kind of the antithesis of 'discussion' to do so, in my opinion. Conversely, I've also seen a fair number of members, past and present, that seem to be of the notion that any religious discussion should be limited to the ability to talk back and forth with like minded individuals or that one of the sub-forums of a sub-forum on a general discussion forum is the right place to preach for some kind of conversion.

I guess the bottom line is, people may often think they're discussing something but their lack of interest, willingness or perhaps ability to listen just makes for a lot of one sided speeches.