Cutting The Enemys Lines of Communication

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Three Internet Cables Slashed in a Week: Has Iran lost all Internet Connectivity?

By Mike Whitney

Global Research, February 3, 2008

CNN reports that: “An undersea cable carrying Internet traffic was cut off the Persian Gulf emirate of Dubai, officials said Friday, THE THIRD LOSS of a line carrying Internet and telephone traffic in three days.
The first two cables “account for as much as three-quarters of the international communications between Europe and the Middle East”, so it is expected that the loss of the third cable will plunge large parts of the Middle East into darkness.
According to Mathaba Net, the latest incident took place “two days after the cable cut which "cut off Iran" and affected the rest of the Middle East and West Asia. Internet Traffic Report web site reports that Iran has lost all Internet connectivity. (http://www.internettrafficreport.com/asia.htm)
Israel and Iraq's Internet connections are still “intact”. (Mathaba.nethttp://mathaba.net/news/?x=580589)
“Omar Sultan, chief executive of Dubai's Internet Service Provider "DU", said that the incident was "very unusual” and that the cause of the incident "had not yet been identified."
From Mathaba News:

“The only 2 countries that were unaffected were Israel and Iraq, the only two close Anglo-American allies in the region, both remaining completely unaffected by the cable cuts, leading to theories for the causes of the cuts, which have so far been given as having been caused by ships dragging their anchors across the cables. The fact that two rare incidents have happened in the same week, and both with cables owned by the same company, on either sides of Israel and the importance of the Internet to telecommunications and business, lends suspicion to the events.” (
Mathaba.nethttp://mathaba.net/news/?x=580589)
Coincidence or Network Warfare?
Recently, a document entitled Information Operation Roadmap was declassified by the Pentagon because of a Freedom of Information Act request by the National Security Archive at George Washington University.
The importance of information warfare is clearly laid out in this document. Here is an extended excerpt from an article by Brent Jessop, “Full Spectrum Information Warfare” published by Global Research:
“Information, always important in warfare, is now critical to military success and will only become more so in the foreseeable future..... Information operations should be centralized under the Office of the Secretary of Defence and made a core military competency.
"Objective: IO [information operations] becomes a core competency. The importance of dominating the information spectrum explains the objective of transforming IO into a core military competency on a par with air, ground, maritime and special operations. The charge to the IO Roadmap oversight panel was to develop as concrete a set of action recommendations as possible to make IO a core competency, which in turn required identifying the essential prerequisites to become a core military competency."

Pentagon: The internet needs to be dealt with as if it were an enemy "weapons system". - by Brent Jessop - 2008-02-02

Middle East Internet Blackouts Spur Geopolitical Suspicions - by Paul Joseph Watson - 2008-02-02

Recognition of Kosovo: US Threatens Serbia's Sovereignty - by Bishop Artemije of Ras - 2008-02-01
Israel gearing up for Another War - 2008-02-03
Thirty Russian aircraft take part in exercises over two oceans - 2008-02-03

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Connecting The Many Undersea Cut Cable Dots

by Richard Sauder
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
4 February 2008

The last week has seen a spate of unexplained, cut, undersea communications cables that has severely disrupted communications in many countries in the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia. As I shall show, the total numbers of cut cables remain in question, but likely number as many as eight, and maybe nine or more.

The trouble began on 30 January 2008 with CNN reports that two cables were cut off the Egyptian Mediterranean coast, initially severely disrupting Internet and telephone traffic from Egypt to India and many points in between. According to CNN the two cut cables “account for as much as three-quarters of the international communications between Europe and the Middle East.“ CNN reported that the two cut cables off the Egyptian coast were “FLAG Telecom's FLAG Europe-Asia cable and SeaMeWe-4, a cable owned by a consortium of more than a dozen telecommunications companies”.(10) Other reports placed one of the cut cables, SeaMeWe-4, off the coast of France, near Marseille.(9)(12) However, many news organizations reported two cables cut off the Egyptian coast, including the SeaMeWe-4 cable connecting Europe with the Middle East. The possibilities are thus three, based on the reporting in the news media: 1) the SeaMeWe-4 cable was cut off the coast of France, and mistakenly reported as being cut off the coast of Egypt, because it runs from France to Egypt; 2) the SeaMeWe-4 cable was cut off the Egyptian coast and mistakenly reported as being cut off the coast of France, because it runs from France to Egypt; or 3) the SeaMeWe-4 cable was cut both off the Egyptian and the French coasts, nearly simultaneously, leading to confusion in the reporting. I am not sure what to think, because most reports, such as this one from the International Herald Tribune, refer to two cut cables off the Egyptian coast, one of the two being the SeaMeWe4 cable,(11) while other reports also refer to a cut cable off the coast of France.(9)(12) It thus appears that the same cable may have suffered two cuts, both off the French and the Egyptian coasts. So there were likely actually three undersea cables cut in the Mediterranean on 30 January 2008.

In the case of the cables cut off the Egyptian coast, the news media initially advanced the explanation that the cables had been cut by ships' anchors.(10)(13) But on 3 February the Egyptian Ministry of Communications and Information Technology said that a review of video footage of the coastal waters where the two cables passed revealed that the area had been devoid of ship traffic for the 12 hours preceding and the 12 hours following the time of the cable cuts.(5)(11) So the cable cuts cannot have been caused by ship anchors, in view of the fact that there were no ships there.

The cable cutting was just getting started. Two days later an undersea cable was reported cut in the Persian Gulf, 55 kilometers off of Dubai.(11) The cable off of Dubai was reported by CNN to be a FLAG Falcon cable.(10) And then on 3 February came reports of yet another damaged undersea cable, this time between Qatar and the UAE (United Arab Emirates).(6)(7)(11)

The confusion was compounded by another report on 1 February 2008 of a cut undersea cable running through the Suez to Sri Lanka.(19) If the report is accurate this would represent a sixth cut cable. The same article mentions the cut cable off of Dubai in the Persian Gulf, but seeing as the Suez is on the other side of the Arabian peninsula from the Persian Gulf, the article logically appears to be describing two separate cable cutting incidents.

These reports were followed on 4 February 2008 with a report of even more cut undersea cables. The Khaleej Times reported a total of five damaged undersea cables: two off of Egypt and the cable near Dubai, all of which have already been mentioned in this report. But then the Khaleej Times mentions two that have not been mentioned elsewhere, to my knowledge: 1) a cable in the Persian Gulf near Bandar Abbas, Iran, and 2) the SeaMeWe4 undersea cable near Penang, Malaysi

http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/ConnectingTheDots.htm

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sounds like the Muslim extremists seeking to isolate the Muslim masses from western media and infidel corruption, bought a sub eh?

You too can be a U Boat Captain...

Subs for sale

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
.....“The only 2 countries that were unaffected were Israel and Iraq, the only two close Anglo-American allies in the region, both remaining completely unaffected by the cable cuts, leading to theories for the causes of the cuts, which have so far been given as having been caused by ships dragging their anchors across the cables.

Yes, of course, that must be it.... ships dragging their anchors across the cables....

.... in a manner which dissabled all internet communications for all middle eastern nations except two nations which have personal interest for the US.

Wow.... now there's a remarkable Coincidence.

That's about as much of a great explination as weather balloons or WOMD.

*smacks head*

Can I get an icon of someone smacking their head?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, but this one fits your reactionary post.

Some of the countries affected are US allies as well. Dubia bieng the first that pops into my mind. It is an extremely busy way point for US Naval Operations.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
[/font]

*smacks head*

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Bear - I dunno - I'm feeling a bit reactionary too I guess... I posted concerns about this in the "Who broke the Internet?" thread...

The news - what little there is of it - just keeps looking more and more indicative that there's more here than meets the eye:

the total numbers of cut cables remain in question, but likely number as many as eight, and maybe nine or more.
It's quite an unlikely coincidence, doncha think? If not, then what explains this?

Eight or nine - maybe that's not yet factually proven, but even 3 within a week of each other would be enough to raise my eyebrows... Add to that the lackluster reporting on this, along with the gaping hole in the facts dept... which is just begging to be filled in with (possibly reactionary:p ) speculation ... ... it all adds up to something pretty stinky, imo.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
No, but this one fits your reactionary post.

Some of the countries affected are US allies as well. Dubia bieng the first that pops into my mind. It is an extremely busy way point for US Naval Operations.

If you say so, I am going on information provided and what was quoted in the article. Don't like it? Too bad.

The section which I quoted was what I was responding to. By their own explinations, it was ships dragging their anchors. If this was the case, how come this doesn't happen more often? How come all these ships just decided recently to start dragging their anchors?

Until more evidence or information is provided, I lean to the most logical solution. Is it fact? No. But neither is the explination of ships causing the issue.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Bear - I dunno - I'm feeling a bit reactionary too I guess... I posted concerns about this in the "Who broke the Internet?" thread...

The news - what little there is of it - just keeps looking more and more indicative that there's more here than meets the eye:

It's quite an unlikely coincidence, doncha think? If not, then what explains this?

Eight or nine - maybe that's not yet factually proven, but even 3 within a week of each other would be enough to raise my eyebrows... Add to that the lackluster reporting on this, along with the gaping hole in the facts dept... which is just begging to be filled in with (possibly reactionary:p ) speculation ... ... it all adds up to something pretty stinky, imo.

That's all I was saying, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

And I would concure. I have been following the story, and as of yet, I have seen no photo evidence, no forensic evidence...nothing.

I do not believe that this is coincidental for one second, but the kneejerks are up to their typical tricks and the Imperial Boogie man is of course the target.

As I insinuated, it could have easily been an act of Islamic fundamentalists, hell bent on removing the infidels medium from the minds of its future explosive vest wearers.
I couldn't agree more, which is why I find it sadly black humourous to find those that would decry the inocences of those in Gitmo, until proven guilty, to be amongthe loudest to proclaim the US and its alphabets of intregue to be the culprits, minus any evidence at all.:roll:

You wanna go halves on a sub and see if you and I couldn't reak a lil havoc of our own and see who gets blamed?

Silvercrest Submarines has a lovely U Boat for sale.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you say so, I am going on information provided and what was quoted in the article. Don't like it? Too bad.

The section which I quoted was what I was responding to. By their own explinations, it was ships dragging their anchors. If this was the case, how come this doesn't happen more often? How come all these ships just decided recently to start dragging their anchors?

Until more evidence or information is provided, I lean to the most logical solution. Is it fact? No. But neither is the explination of ships causing the issue.
And my explanation is as plausible a cause as any. Sans the usual anti- US rhetoric.

That's all I was saying, lol.
BS. Then what is this suppposed to mean...

in a manner which dissabled all internet communications for all middle eastern nations except two nations which have personal interest for the US.

Please not that Zan did not insinuate that only US allies where spared or the US was involved in anyway.

Dubie and the UAE are both allies of the US, Dubia being one of the single most busiest ports of call for the US Naval fleets operating in that area. That is a huge asset and interest, ignored by the usual suspects.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Bear and Zan sittin' in a U-Boat.... ya that has a nice ring to it... but I'm not goin' to the middle east... I'm sure there's some kind of havoc we could wreak together in a more southern paradise, yes?;-)

As for who's causing this internet cable ruckus... that has yet to be seen - I don't personally see how one gov't or another could be more suspect until something comes to light that has some sort of fact associated with it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bear and Zan sittin' in a U-Boat.... ya that has a nice ring to it... but I'm not goin' to the middle east... I'm sure there's some kind of havoc we could wreak together in a more southern paradise, yes?;-)

As for who's causing this internet cable ruckus... that has yet to be seen - I don't personally see how one gov't or another could be more suspect until something comes to light that has some sort of fact associated with it.
BINGO!!!

btw, I want a window seat...who's gunna play stewardess?

mbryant26

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2008
U.S.

[/font]

Yes, of course, that must be it.... ships dragging their anchors across the cables....

.... in a manner which dissabled all internet communications for all middle eastern nations except two nations which have personal interest for the US.

Wow.... now there's a remarkable Coincidence.

That's about as much of a great explination as weather balloons or WOMD.

*smacks head*

Of course its a conspiracy and the U.S. has something to do with it. Like i said before, blame everything on the u.s..

Oh look a meteor is coming, just blame it on us. Storms splurring tornadoes, blame it on us again. Anything else Praxius you wanna blame on us???

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
And my explanation is as plausible a cause as any. Sans the usual anti- US rhetoric.

I just repeated what they said, only in different words. I can't help it you got that idea from what I said.

BS. Then what is this suppposed to mean...

It means just this:

....“The only 2 countries that were unaffected were Israel and Iraq, the only two close Anglo-American allies in the region, both remaining completely unaffected by the cable cuts..."

Their words, not mine... I just decided to use my own words to bring another perspective to what they said.

Please note that Zan did not insinuate that only US allies where spared or the US was involved in anyway.

No, Zan didn't.... Check the original post by D.Beaver. Please keep up.

Dubie and the UAE are both allies of the US, Dubia being one of the single most busiest ports of call for the US Naval fleets operating in that area. That is a huge asset and interest, ignored by the usual suspects.

Not as big of a concern as the other two, all things considdered.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Of course its a conspiracy and the U.S. has something to do with it. Like i said before, blame everything on the u.s..

I already told you before, time and time again, I only put blame where there is evidence provided. If the US didn't do it, then they don't get the blame.... pretty simple to understand if you ask me.

I point out questions and things that have holes in explination. They claimed it was ships dragging anchors, but how did they come to this conclusion?

Did they head down there and take a look at the cables to see how they were cut? Were they clean cuts comparable to a tool being used or are they rough cuts which appear as being ripped forcefully due to the force from a ship and anchor?

I see nothing either way.

Until evidence is provided, you then resort to motive. I never said anything was for certain here at all. But it is suspicious none the less.

Oh look a meteor is coming, just blame it on us.

Could have been.... with all those satellites up there, who knows?

Storms splurring tornadoes, blame it on us again.

Nah, I don't get Tornadoes where I live, I couldn't care less.

Anything else Praxius you wanna blame on us???

Yeah.... The Backstreet Boys.