hot tubs what is good?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What should I be considering?

What you will be using it for, the climate if that's a factor, how often you will want to use it and heating options. Jets jets jets. I think the more the better.
If you don't need the biggest one made, then look for savings in a smaller tub. While it's not going to be a huge difference off the top, savings in heating and chemicals due to smaller amount of water to heat will add up.

Remember too that some commuities have new regulations regarding all water containers. You may need to erect a fence if you don't already have one.
Definately get the insulated cover.

Fork over the info and I'm sure we can do some research on all you will need to know.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just took delivery today of Polar Spa.

We didn't start with a new spa though. Too many people I know have gotten them, and then hated the upkeep and rarely used them, so we had originally watched Bargain Finder and got a decent sized 5 year old tub for about 3000. We used Beach Comber's 'CareFree' system in it (which didn't bother my skin at all), and found we loved it. When it sprung a leak we couldn't fix at around 8 or 9 yrs old, we replaced it with another BeachComber. We were very pleased with their product.

We've been without a hot tub since our move though, and when we went to the BeachComber dealer here to buy a new one, apparently we didn't look rich enough to be bothered speaking to. So, customer loyalty went out the window, and research began. We narrowed our purchase down to two companies here, based on price and construction (good insulation is key living in Canada). Polar Spas ended up coming out on top, with a well insulated tub, sleek design, good price, and lots of 'add ons' that the company gave us. It's also (supposedly) a little to no chemical hot tub, having an ozone generator to keep the water clean, rather then relying on chemicals. Other companies had ozone assistance, but none that eliminated the need for daily chemical. With this company, the only time you need chemical is if and when you have extra people in for extended periods of time (supposedly).

We're essentially the family guinea pigs for this particular company. If they're all they're cracked up to be, then my folks will be picking one up too.

Oh, and the company has an energy guarantee.... if you feel your power bill has jumped too much after getting the tub, they'll send someone in to put a meter on the line to see if there's a problem with the tub, if it's using too much energy.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
First off ... where are you going to put it? Do you need a footing because a filled hot tub is a lot of point load so that rules out setting it up on the sundeck or an unsupported floor. Do you have the electric service for it? You'll need the same capacity as for an electric range in most cases. Better check with building, electric and plumbing codes in your area. A hot tub is more than a luxurious toy. It's a project.

Woof!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ours required, first of all, taking out a permit... trenching 220 power... rewiring the electrical panel and adding a breaker box on the outside of the house (within visual range of the tub)... pouring a concrete pad. It was a huge project alright.

Our last hot tub was easier because we didn't need all that pesky permitting stuff. The deck to support it was pricey though.... lots more timber and better footings needed than a typical deck.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh, and hubby reading over my shoulder pointed out that it requires heavier gauge wire and usually a higher amp breaker than even an oven. Ours is 60 amp service and #6 wire. The GFCI breaker runs anywhere from 200-400 dollars, and the wire is about 15 dollars/m for underground service.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If I were you, I would be considering how much you really want one. People use them for a few years and then the novelty wears off. You're going to have to invest about 5 to 10 grand in it. My friend just got one... Just hooking up the electrical part was $1500.00. Then they had to move the air conditioning for the house since there can't be any other electrical stuff within 15 feet of it. Then it didn't have enough insulation for this colder weather... now they need to extend the deck around it and on and on... We'll see how much they actually use it.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
We have a cement slab for it, however, we don't really need one, as we are leaning towards an Arctic Spa which has a base that does not require anything. We like the fact that it is not full of insulation...only the box is insulated, this provides easier access should anything ever need fixin'. They claim they are the most energy efficient spas on the planet, which is also a huge plus. What does one do with an old hunk of junk one? I called our local officials to find out if there was a recycle area to drop it, and nope, there isn't...just can't stand the thought of taking it to a landfill....perhaps we can turn it into a planter...I have never found it difficult to maintain a hot tub...the electrical is there already.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We have a cement slab for it, however, we don't really need one, as we are leaning towards an Arctic Spa which has a base that does not require anything. We like the fact that it is not full of insulation...only the box is insulated, this provides easier access should anything ever need fixin'. They claim they are the most energy efficient spas on the planet, which is also a huge plus. What does one do with an old hunk of junk one? I called our local officials to find out if there was a recycle area to drop it, and nope, there isn't...just can't stand the thought of taking it to a landfill....perhaps we can turn it into a planter...I have never found it difficult to maintain a hot tub...the electrical is there already.

Arctic and Polar are pretty neck and neck competition. I found though that Arctic spas seemed shallow to me. I don't know what it was exactly. Optical illusion perhaps? But they seemed to lack leg room.

As for your old one.... koi pond.