The Spinach Question

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I bet children all over North America are cheering now that this odious veggie has been declared a health hazard :D Even I, as a child, was forced to eat some of it {YUCK!} My hope is that soon brussel sprouts will also be found to have disastrous effects on our health and that bacon will be touted as the ultimate health food.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
He died years ago as he was not politically correct enough :cry: can you imagine the effect his cartoons would have on the poor,impressionable children of today..why they might even try to eat some of that poisonous spinach!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Brutus will simply kick the snot out of poor Popeye. Olive Oil might have issues as well if he ain't strong to the finish.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My brother told me once Popeye had deformed elbows from eating all that spinach out of a can....

Never swallowed the stuff in favor of smooth elbows.

My mother may have sneaked it into some mystery dinner....but I can't count those tricks mothers pull.

Cartoonists were weird in those days.... Olive Oyl was also deformed and had the strangest hair.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I have never appreciated Popeye's taste in feminine compansionship. Olive was the Callista of her day. It's sad that children can't see these old cartoons. Most likely tho, they'd find what used to entertain us old folk to be boring.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh Gopher

We knew that..... isn't it more fun to talk about Popeye?

Think of all the little kids out there who are going to be spared that disgusting piece of green sliming its way down into your stomach...

Think of smooth elbows.

Seriously there are many fresh veggies and fruits which are contaminated when we buy them - especially in health food stores - I literally soak things in fresh water twice and dry them on paper towels before I store them for eating or cooking....

It's bugs or pesticides or water runoff from cow poop..... it's nature.

We have to stop relying on "regulatory bodies" to guarantee what we
eat. Take care of yourself and realize not all is perfect in what we grow.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The Mexican workers who pick all the spinach obviously didn't take care in their personal hygene while handling it. Just another good reason to seal the borders.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Popeye was my favorite cartoon -- I can still remember his song:

I'm Popeye duh sailor man
I'm strong to duh finich
Cause I eats me spinach

I'm one tough bazookah
Dat hates all palookas
Wot ain't on dug up + square
I biffs 'em and buffs 'em
And always outroughs 'em
And none of dem gets nowhere
If anyone darsus to risk me fisk
It's whomp and it's ban
Unndertsand?

So keep good behavior
It's you one life savior
With Popeye duh sailor man ...

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
A reporter busted a few small grocery stores here in NS for selling the Spinach after it was banned. The tainted spinach could of killed people. Food poisoning sucks, I had it six weeks ago-a slow and painful non-death experience. I can't look at a bucket with out flash backs.

In todays world Olive would be a supermodel married to a rock star twenty years older than her. She'd be protesting in NFL against the seal hunt. Opps sorry got her mixed up with another skinny chick.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
I grow my own spinach, so I'm content to just eat that.

Spinach is better if it is cooked shortly anyhow (releases some of the nutrients or makes them easier to absorb, or something like that...) and then soaked in olive oil, pressed garlic, and a little balsamic vinegar.

The exception for me is when you make a salad out of raw spinarch with strawberries, onions, and maple roasted nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds are my fave). It is an unreal combo...

PS always wash your fruits and veggies with water and some type of soap. Don't know if that would have helped in this particular situation, but there is a chance it may have.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
oh, and children are only cheering because their parents only know how to cook worth a crap anyways. this kinda stuff can be made really good if you take the time to do a bit more than busting it out of the freezer and heating it up in butter or margarine.