As seen on TV Products

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey guys,

I'm curious as to what products anyone has purchased from an infomercial before. What was it? Was it worth it? Does it do what you saw it do in TV?

Before you read further, be aware! Total Loser alert...

Right, so our most recent purchase was a Scünci. A steam cleaner with a ton of weird nossles included, including a "wand" and a window cleaner. It seems to work very well with some things.. but right after blasting some crap off of the counter, you wipe it clean with a dry cloth.. that's where it falls short -- cuz it's usually just staying stuck on.

The one thing that it does do is clean the windows very well :D And other glass like our glass table -- it works with that too. It didn't get the grunge off of the oven door like it claims to do... it didn't really get much off of the stove, fantastic beats it hands down.

It also didn't get the grunge off of the bathroom counter.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
do chia pets count? who can forget that lovely one given to us at christmas, becoming resplendent in it's green finery? sheep of course :wink:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Do ginsu knives count? We didn't get them from an infocommercial, we bought them at the PNE about 29 years ago. The things are still going strong! Okay, so they don't actually cut anything, but they're still going strong. :)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I have never bought anything from an infomerical, I have been tempted, I once saw one that had a pair of twins, who were also midgets (!) selling a real estate program, very tempting that one :)

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I've never bought anything from an informercial, but my favourite is the pancake pan that closes like a waffle maker, but still sits on the stove. They described turning it over as easy as "turning a doorknob". For some reason, we just found that hilarious!

Yes, right, I should go back to the oddball post, at least I belong in there...

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto

Hey!

I think people only buy from infomercials when they are young.
Lessons are learned easily when young.

I recall responding to an advertisement about getting work
overseas. (In the late 60's)

I sent off my 30 bucks, and I got reams of paper with addresses
of firms said to be hiring for overseas positions.
I typed more than 300 letters.
Replies came in by the bag full and they all apologized for not
giving me a job. (I had all the skills .... 17 years old, quit school at
grade 9)
But, one company wrote me back and went out of their way to
explain to me how I was "had".
They explained the complete scam to me.

So, after that, I never paid any attention to infomercials. I was
completely insulted.

Calm

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
To the best of my knowledge, I have never watched an infocommercial. I can't imagine sitting through a long advertisement like that, and they are really long, apparently.

I only order stuff from the most reliable companies such as Lee Valley. There is nothing as good as getting a new Lee Valley catalogue, nothing as safe as ordering from them, and nothing as fun as getting the package. Whatever you bought will always work as claimed, that is the great thing about Lee Valley. Geez, I am sounding a bit like a commercial myself.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ah Lee Valley.....did you see the seat thingee in the new catalogue (got mine yesterday :lol: ). The way it works is, you are sitting at the campfire, you are hot in the face, but cold in the a**. No problemo, just pull out this sheet of aluminium foil thingee and place it behind (!) your seat. Tada - you are now warm all over. Sort of like cooking a baked potato.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
galaniomama how come you got your lee valley catalogue before me :( please bring it over so I can look see to! Does it include their gardening tools. Stop holding out on me, you will regret it.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey Pea - that sounds like a little bit of a threat! I suppose I could bring it over to you, as long as you are finished your repairs for the day. Um, coffee perhaps?

Yeah, there's all sorts of gardening knomes and good stuff. Hey - why don't we print a garden catalogue of knomes???? OMG I have hit on it. No longer would you have to repair, and no longer would I have to watch inmates. Too kewl!!!

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Nope-- supposed to be the best gardening tool in the world.

They have a website-- check em out.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Galaniomama please don't say that Lee Valley has Gnomes in their catalogue. Why are you always trying to ruin things for me :? "Why don't we print a catalogue of Ghomes" 8O are you drinking again at work. I am not going to dignify that with an answer :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hey. You got something against gnomes?

And double hey, I didn't see any gnomes in the latest LV catalogue. I saw some pretty funky garden clogs, but no gnomes.