Canadian Tire Hacked

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
For years, I had a CTC card. 20 odd yrs ago, they came out with the CTC Mastercard. Mine was hacked before I even activated it. It's the digital age and crimes of this nature are driving up interest rates faster than a crooked banker with the keys to the vault.

Mazel tov, babies!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I've been getting some hypersophistcated phishing spam, lately... yesterday, one from (an ersatz version of) PayPal that is really convincing, except for this one detail.

This was the header to the e-mail (cut-and-paste, verbatum)

Your payment for Farm Ville at facebook.com was recived.

Beside the facts that I don't have a Facebook account, nor have I never heard of Farm Ville (my kid, has) this e-mail stinks of poorly educated Millenial. They can't even spam without making spelling errors.

BTW, I don't "do" PayPay, either. I opened the link in a much more secure system than mine and all that they asked of me is to update my credit card info., number, expiry date, full name, address, name of my first born, what I voted in the last election, my shoe size, my IQ (117! ... just like Johnny's!).

The graphics were good, slick and professional. Too bad the geek can't spell.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I never even open those links, especially those hidden ones...
There are several places to check them..
One site is this one .... Website/URL/Link Scanner Safety Check for Phishing, Malware, Viruses - ScanURL.net it reveals the true url as soon as you paste it in.

I was curious, this time, so I did it in a major, very protected and firewalled computer.

Another trick that I've learned it to just hit a simple "reply" to the e-mail, without touching a live link. You should get an "undeliverable mail" message with a return address shown. A couple of times, I received similar phishing spam from supposed Canadian chartered banks with which I have never had an account. The address that came back to me was from a local community college. I alerted their IT security people, sent them the code content of the messages and left it to them. I still get similar spam but my "reply" trick has stopped working and the nerdballs aren't making the same mistake, anymore.

p.s. Is your link safe? Do I trust you, oh random internet contact?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Of course..

Reporting Scams and Frauds - Royal Canadian Mounted Police