Renewing a Credit Card

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Any one else have this happen?

My card expired in October and since I rarely use it I didn't attempt to activate the new card until today.

Anyways I call the 1 800 Master Card number and all is going well until he asks for my drivers license number. I have had this card for a really long time and have never been asked that so I said thanks but no thanks.

I went on that I don't know who you are and everyone who is anyone in the 'security' biz says only give your drivers lic to the cops.

He says I'm from the bank and I said well I have no way of proving that because I dialed a 1 800 number and besides, what if I didn't drive?

I'll swing by my branch sometime and ask them about this.......

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
They will need to identify you as you somehow. They will compare it to answers you have given them in the past. Otherwise, if your card gets misdirected, whomever gets it can use it. The ones I have usually do it all via hitting buttons. They need the security code on the old card and sometimes the new card and usually that is all if I call from my home phone (call display does the rest).

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think a trip to the bank is the best thing.

I had a security experience similar to this over the Christmas period. I wanted to buy something from Best Buy. I attempted to pay for it using my VISA, but at the end of the transaction was asked to verify my card. Not the three digit number, but a small screen appeared asking me to provide additional information which allegedly proved I was who I was. My month and year of birth, phone number, etc.

Sounded fishy to me, so I canceled the transaction and phoned VISA. As it turned out, Best Buy's little screen was legit. Best Buy is one of a small number of companies using this verification to reduce credit card fraud. VISA told me that I would not have got past that screen because, even though I have been a long time VISA customer, I was not registered to use this extra step.

What did I learn? Just go downtown and buy something or forget BB when ordering online.

You should have a chat with the bank people.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I haven't experience this one !!, and I would refuse to give my Driver Licence Number. They always ask me the same questions, "mothers maiden name and the 3 numbers at the back of my card", which I'm find with. But if you filled it out on your application, maybe they have it as i.d. in their system??

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
They will need to identify you as you somehow. They will compare it to answers you have given them in the past. Otherwise, if your card gets misdirected, whomever gets it can use it. The ones I have usually do it all via hitting buttons. They need the security code on the old card and sometimes the new card and usually that is all if I call from my home phone (call display does the rest).
He did ask what was my main branch and I told him the street plus he asked what dealings do I have at the bank (accounts, loans etc.,) and I told him. He did not ask for the Bank Account number which I would not have given.

The new card info clearly states to call from your home number. I assume that is for security. In my case it is the same home number I have had for a very long time so if it appeared on their 'call display' they would know where I am calling from.

I do believe they are just fishing for as much info as possible from everyone.

Oh, and here's something to add to the mix. I have had this card for over 20 years and have always paid it off before the deadline. I likely haven't used it in a year so I would have thought the process would have been simpler.

I will swing by the bank one day and if they can't help me well efff them, no CC for me........

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
He did ask what was my main branch and I told him the street plus he asked what dealings do I have at the bank (accounts, loans etc.,) and I told him. He did not ask for the Bank Account number which I would not have given.

The new card info clearly states to call from your home number. I assume that is for security. In my case it is the same home number I have had for a very long time so if it appeared on their 'call display' they would know where I am calling from.

I do believe they are just fishing for as much info as possible from everyone.

Oh, and here's something to add to the mix. I have had this card for over 20 years and have always paid it off before the deadline. I likely haven't used it in a year so I would have thought the process would have been simpler.

I will swing by the bank one day and if they can't help me well efff them, no CC for me........

I think the complications are for your protection (and I guess theirs since they would wind up eating fraudulent charges).

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Most debit cards can be used for (credit card) online purchases. There are no fees attached to the card and the money comes out of your account that is linked to that card.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Did he inadvertently call Nigeria?
That was why I said No when he asked me for the drivers lic.. I said no way, I don't know where/who you are and he said was 'from the bank'. Well okay DUH.

Maybe I am the only one who had had a card renewal but I have done it several times over the decades. My last one was valid from 10/13 to 10/16.

The info inside the envelope of the new card states this 1 800 number as does a peel off sticker on the new card.

And the more I think about my drivers lic I have no recollection of ever giving or even needing to give my bank my drivers license.

I'll swing by Friday and enquire about this.......

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That was why I said No when he asked me for the drivers lic.. I said no way, I don't know where/who you are and he said was 'from the bank'. Well okay DUH.

Maybe I am the only one who had had a card renewal but I have done it several times over the decades. My last one was valid from 10/13 to 10/16.

The info inside the envelope of the new card states this 1 800 number as does a peel off sticker on the new card.

And the more I think about my drivers lic I have no recollection of ever giving or even needing to give my bank my drivers license.

I'll swing by Friday and enquire about this.......

The RCMP would be able to answer that on the phone and they might like to follow up on it.

(sarcasm)
Or I could look into it for you. I would need your DL and credit card info and online backing info as well as it might be a virus thingy.
(end sarcasm)

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
There are many things in the computer age that befuddle me.

We have forgotten exactly which information we have provided to banks, business or the government over the years. No one can recall exactly what consent we gave to institutions when we blindly checked paper or online boxes in multipage agreements. Damned few people actually read them.

Information sharing - legal or otherwise - is a common occurrence in today's world. It's virtually impossible to prove that a bank, government or private company misused confidential information.

We are often confounded by our own stupidity.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

No, CNTR - ALT - DEL does NOT send you backwards in time.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I had a brand new, unused, still not activated Mastercard used to purchase items. This was when Canadian Tire changed from a store card to a CTC Mastercard. After three months of it sitting in the drawer in my office, I phoned the 1-800 number and activated it. A few hours later, I went to Canadian Tire and attempted to buy a $30 truck part. My card was declined. I was over my limit.

I phoned CTC and was told that because my card was at the limit, I could not use it until I brought the total down.

I told them that was impossible, saying that I had just activated the card earlier in the day and that I could not have a balance on a new card. The computer would have a record of me phoning to activate the card. The operator then asked if I was claiming that the charges made to the card were fraudulent. I said yes, and I wished to talk to the their fraud people.

The person from their fraud department kept saying , "ARE YOU SURE that you didn't buy anything?" After three or four times of her saying this, I got fed up and asked her if she understood that I just activated the card that morning. Then I asked her if she knew the dates that my card (or actually, the number assigned to it) was used to purchase the items. She had the purchases on her computer screen.

That was when I began to make headway. Grudgingly, she told me that I would be sent forms to fill out. And yes, I mean grudgingly. She was in a bad mood throughout our exchange. She cancelled the number and I was warned not to try to use the card. Duh.

There were at least a dozen purchases, and I had to sign a form for each, stating that I had not bought these things.

I talked to a friend with the OPP fraud squad later and he said that it was probably a counterfeit card because the items were obtained from retail locations.

Years later, someone in Germany used my Visa card to buy an item worth approx. $350. It showed up on my monthly statement. I phoned to report it. This time, it was quickly and pleasantly handled, without the insinuation that I had somehow 'forgotten' the purchase.

Fraud does happen, but I blame Cliffy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

No, CNTR - ALT - DEL does NOT send you backwards in time.
That would be the 'format c:' command.
Which OS is going to work best if one neighborhood was the whole 'network' if updates (or lack of) cripple windows 10 and android devices?? Being able to use 3 local towers would still be quite useful if the group was a 'talkative bunch'. Have real-time video feed for the 'pets' that roam around on their own or they start barking opens up an app on your smart-phone so it could be quite extensive in the data that is available.
On a nationwide scale if you voted a person in you should be able to track his activities.

I
Fraud does happen, but I blame Cliffy.
If you want cliffy to be able to understand it you need to make it into a poster of some sort. Should I draw you a picture?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Has anyone here used a version of what is know as a Pre-Paid Credit Cards?

If yes, tell me about it.

I never got around to getting a new Credit Card. She has one if needed but now I want something strictly anonymous that I can use online. The anonymous part comes in to not being traceable by name and address. I would ultimately only get one if I can apply Identification Free using a fake name and address.

I will only be using the Card for donations and likely not purchases except to support a given cause.

I'm looking at what are commonly known as Pre-Paid Credit Cards but they are not all considered CC's so you have to careful as to which one you choose.

First one to pop up when I searched is from, of all places, Canada Post, which isn't necessarily good or bad.

Is my Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card a credit card? No, it is not a credit card and is not reported to the credit rating agencies as you may only spend what you have loaded on the Card. Each time you use the Card, the purchase amount is deducted from the available balance.

Who would use a Canada Post Visa Prepaid Card?

Anyone! In particular, a reloadable Visa Card is great for people who are:

• Security concerned - limit your exposure to identity theft and fraud, and worry less about shopping online.
https://www.myprepaidcard.ca/index.cfm?pageid=g04&

7 things to watch out for with prepaid cards

http://www.creditcards.ca/credit-card-news/prepaid-credit_card-woes-1271.php

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017