happy boxing day/week

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I'm sitting here covered in freezing rain waiting for the Dollarama to open........

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Today's the day my family host a huge buffet.

A festive feast to behold, something that would have made Henry VIII look on in awe.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
I'm sitting here covered in freezing rain waiting for the Dollarama to open........

Does the dollarama have some kinda hot sale where you are on boxing day??

And why is boxing day happy? I have never found it to be better than any other day for happiness.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

And why is boxing day happy? I have never found it to be better than any other day for happiness.

It is an especially happy day for fans of Canadian Junior hockey, mokka - this is the day the real games begin. :smile:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

No, that was my way of making fun of people who line up for Boxing Day. I don't think the dollar store would have much of a discount but you never know.

I actually went into one about a month ago to get some batteries. It was around 5 pm on a Saturday and the line ups to cash out was so long I turned around and walked out and will likely never enter one again........

Discount chain Dollarama ended its year on a high note, by all accounts, with profits and sales in the third quarter up from a year ago.
“Dollarama is a force to be reckoned with,” said Winder, co-founder and partner at Retail Advisors Network.

As they continue to roll out new stores, Winder suggests Dollarama will see continued growth beyond the industry average in 2017. “They’re perfect for the Canadian consumer right now,” as middle- and lower-income class consumers search for savings on their basic-product needs, Winder said.

“It’s fun to shop there, things are cheaper, all most of your basics are there,” Winder said. “You can walk out of there with a lot of stuff for $20.”

But Winder said it may not all be good news for discount shoppers. He expects that, if the Canadian dollar continues to weaken, Dollarama will have to pay more for their products.

“They’re going to have to pass on those cost increases to consumers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if, over the next year or so, they sneak up to $5 or $4.50, ” Winder said.

Dollarama recently defended their decision to increase the price of chocolate bars, saying it could no longer absorb the higher cost of raw materials

Shopping in Canada: 2017 trends from discount to luxury, online to in-store | CTV News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

27 December 1987

radical 1987 in Ontario where they let Sunday shopping (after 11) because 26th was a Saturday

Record-breaking crowds: Would-be bargain-snatchers lined up outside A & A record store and Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. yesterday hours before the 11 a.m. opening time. Security officers were posted at both stores and only allowed a certain number of shoppers to enter the store at one time. Most records and compact discs at A & A were selling at 20 per cent off.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

27 December 1987

radical 1987 in Ontario where they let Sunday shopping (after 11) because 26th was a Saturday

Record-breaking crowds: Would-be bargain-snatchers lined up outside A & A record store and Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. yesterday hours before the 11 a.m. opening time. Security officers were posted at both stores and only allowed a certain number of shoppers to enter the store at one time. Most records and compact discs at A & A were selling at 20 per cent off.

Pop music spoils quickly and they didn't want to get stuck holding old inventory, no matter what.