Wal-Mart to close 269 stores

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Wal-Mart to close 269 stores
Nathan Layne, REUTERS
First posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 09:58 AM EST | Updated: Friday, January 15, 2016 03:21 PM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said on Friday that it would pull the plug on its smallest store format, Walmart Express, and close 269 locations as it contends with higher costs in its home market of the United States and disappointing results overseas.
The move includes Wal-Mart's largest-ever single culling in the United States, where the company is closing 154 stores. The other 115 stores are in Latin America, including 60 in Brazil.
The world's largest retailer said it hoped to transfer many of the 10,000 U.S. and 6,000 Latin American workers in the closed stores to other locations.
Wal-Mart's earnings have been under pressure due to last year's decision to raise entry-level wages as well as higher investments aimed at closing the gap online with Amazon.com Inc. At the same time, Wal-Mart is struggling overseas, where a strong U.S. dollar reduces the value of local sales.
The closings come three months after Chief Executive Officer Doug McMillon disclosed plans to review global operations and shut underperforming stores. Friday's announcement marks the first step in that restructuring effort.
Wal-Mart said the closures represented less than 1% of its global revenue. The biggest cuts are in the United States, including all 102 Walmart Express stores.
At 12,000 to 15,000 square feet, Express stores are less than one-tenth the size of a typical Walmart Supercenter. The format had been in pilot since 2011 but did not deliver the desired results.
Moody's retail analyst Charlie O'Shea described the closures as a long-overdue "pruning."
"I've always wondered why it's taken so long to cull the U.S. store base because they really haven't done much of it over the past several years," O'Shea said.
Wal-Mart said the move would reduce earnings by 20 cents to 22 cents a diluted share, with nearly all of that to be booked in the fourth quarter ending this month. In November, it forecast a full-year profit of $4.50 to $4.65.
The company's shares fell 2.6% to $61.39.
The other 52 U.S. stores to be closed are a mixture of Supercenters, Wal-Mart's largest format; discount stores; Neighborhood Market groceries; and outlets in the company's Sam's Club bulk-selling wholesale chain.
The closings highlight the challenges Wal-Mart faces in finding growth opportunities in both its home market, which it has blanketed with some 4,500 stores, and overseas, where it has grown to more than 6,000 locations but has struggled to generate consistent returns.
In an internal memo to staff, McMillon said a regular review of the company's assets was vital for growth. "Doing this ensures we focus and align our resources in ways that build a strong company positioned to win in the future," said the memo, which was seen by Reuters.
The Arkansas-based retailer said it would still open 142 to 165 stores in the United States in the year ending in January 2017. For the first time, it also disclosed plans to open 200 to 240 stores overseas in the coming year.
The company said about 95% of the closed U.S. stores were within 10 miles of another that it owns, making it possible to move some workers to other locations. It said it would provide 60 days of pay and severance for eligible workers not placed.
The cuts drew criticism from a group backed by the United Food & Commercial Workers International Union, which for years has been behind a campaign pushing for better wages and benefits for Wal-Mart employees.
"Sadly, these latest store closings could very well be just the beginning," Jess Levin, communications director at Making Change at Walmart, said in an emailed statement. "This sends a chilling message to the company's hard-working employees that they could be next."
Wal-Mart to close 269 stores | Money | Toronto Sun

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Probably the best thing to happen to those store workers. Get out. Move on.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have gone into Walmart off and on at different times in the last few months
and it does not seem as busy any time I go there since about October.
Shop more at Superstore and Costco than Walmart.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, I personally prefer Superstore. Years ago when the kids were small I dealt with Costco a lot, but no point to it now. Good place to buy Hallowe'en candy in bulk. :)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canada is spared for now.

Canadian Walmart is expanding, buying up old Target stores..

Let's see, go to Superstore and your looking for a loonie to use a cart, I don't carry cash, I use debit, so strait off the bat it's inconvenient. Oh yeah, you have to buy bags and bag your stuff yourself. LOL

Costco, but a membership to buy in bulk, what a snazzy idea. If you require 6 of everything that day.

Costco is perfect for those Doomsday Preppers.. everything in bulk.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Canadian Walmart is expanding, buying up old Target stores..

Let's see, go to Superstore and your looking for a loonie to use a cart, I don't carry cash, I use debit, so strait off the bat it's inconvenient. Oh yeah, you have to buy bags and bag your stuff yourself. LOL

Costco, but a membership to buy in bulk, what a snazzy idea. If you require 6 of everything that day.
Almost as silly as the Drive-Thru Guns 'n' Alcohol stores I've seen in the US. :lol:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It sure won't be around here. Most days, you can't get a parking spot at Walmart. It's just about the only general merchandiser left, short of the Dollar Store.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Yeah, I personally prefer Superstore. Years ago when the kids were small I dealt with Costco a lot, but no point to it now. Good place to buy Hallowe'en candy in bulk. :)

I have never done Costco but I hate the Superstore. I don't know why but it just gives me a bad vibe every time I have gone there.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You had better know what stuff costs before you go into a Costco. There are some deals to be had, there but most of the merchandise is overpriced.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Spent about 20 minutes in a local Wally Werld a few days ago-not much for bargains to be had and some of the prices in the food section were totally over the top-$1.88/lb for Red Onions that I can buy for $0.99 a few blocks from my house in one of the pricier neighbourhoods in the city-$0.49 if you know where to look-ditto Yellow and fancy White Onions.

In fact I never saw one single food item I couldn't buy cheaper somewhere else.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

We shop at Safeway and then get 10 cents off a litre for gas. Safeway prices are comparable. In fact, I think they're all pretty much in line.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You had better know what stuff costs before you go into a Costco. There are some deals to be had, there but most of the merchandise is overpriced.
Tat's what I found too, Only go once a year on my daughter's card, stock up on vitamins and such for the year.
I only glance at the electronics section...never found any deals to be had there.