Rogers charges ailing man $1.2G for cable at home destroyed in fire

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Rogers charges ailing man $1.2G for cable at home destroyed in fire
By Chris Hofley, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 05:33 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 05:39 PM EST
OTTAWA — An Ottawa man wants answers after being hit with a huge Rogers bill for services that stayed active at his house months after it burned to the ground.
Still reeling from the loss of his home in March and almost everything in it, Gary Cartwright was shocked when a collections agency called him and said he owed $1,288 on a delinquent Rogers bill.
He was also told his cable had been shut off because of non-payment in September, months after his home was destroyed.
Cartwright, who is battling cancer and is confined to a wheelchair because of multiple sclerosis, is on a fixed income and a bill that size would be a massive hit.
But that's not the point, Cartwright said. He is adamant he called Rogers about a week after the fire, after he had gotten out of the hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation.
He said he also made a $400 payment prior to the fire and his balance, at that point, was zero.
"I know that everything was in order," Cartwright told QMI Agency from the lobby of the downtown Ottawa hotel where he's been staying for months, paid for by his insurance policy.
He said he cancelled all services at his former home at the same time — hydro, and water, his cable and Internet.
"How can I possibly owe you people any money if there was no house there to have a cable connected to?"
He didn't get much in the way of an answer and nobody seems willing to provide him with a bill explaining the bill math, he said.
But the collections agency is on his trail, having tracked him down at the hotel he stayed in immediately following the fire to the one he's in now.
"They said, 'How do we know it burned down?'" Cartwright said. "You think there would be some common sense there."
After a lengthy search, Cartwright is preparing to move into a new place he's renting in the city’s Dunrobin village. He's doesn't know what's going to come out of the Rogers fiasco, but he's sure about one thing.
"I told them, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not paying it," he said.
Rogers didn't respond to QMI Agency’s request for more information on Cartright's situation.
chris.hofley@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @chrishofley
Gary Cartwright, who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is battling cancer, is angry that a collections agency is after him for $1,288 in Rogers fees incurred after his home burned down in March. Cartwright says he canceled all his services in the week following the blaze. CHRIS HOFLEY/OTTAWA SUN/QMI AGENCY

Rogers charges ailing man $1.2G for cable at home destroyed in fire | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

they need to be whipped with their coax.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'd tell the collection agency (who seem to be nothing but leeches) to kiss my ***. How hard is it to check to see if a house is no longer there due to a fire? Sheesh!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I would use the pony express for a message before i used Rogers and these are
the people who will start screwing hockey fans in the very near future

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can't vouch for the veracity of the story, but I know Rogers since I used to work for the bastards at HQ. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I honestly have to say, as a consumer, I've had way more problems over the years with Bell than with Rogers. Not that I'm championing Rogers necessarily, it's just that in my experience they suck slightly less, lol.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ive worked for them and been a customer. I hope neither happens again. They aren't the most pleasant people to deal with.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I honestly have to say, as a consumer, I've had way more problems over the years with Bell than with Rogers. Not that I'm championing Rogers necessarily, it's just that in my experience they suck slightly less, lol.
Probably because you've done more business with Bell or had to deal with them more often. You can't put a cigarette paper between the two. The two companies only exist as they do because of their former monopoly status. In a real free market (of course without former CEOs at the top of the CRTC/lobbyists paid for by taxpayer capital,) Rogers and Bell might be third-tier brands, in a best case scenario.

Just remember that the broadband networks that connect us today exist more because of initial taxpayer capital, funding and subsidies than actual investments by quasi-free-market companies like Rogers and Bell.

BTW. Why can I roam in Botswana, Australia, Nigeria, Taiwan, Cuba, Mongolia, Greenland, St. Pierre & Miquolen, Iraq and Iran... surf the web for 30 minutes, make 5 local calls and still pay 1/10th the price of a 59 second call in Montreal or Toronto on Rogers/Bell/Telus?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
BTW. Why can I roam in Botswana, Australia, Nigeria, Taiwan, Cuba, Mongolia, Greenland, St. Pierre & Miquolen, Iraq and Iran... surf the web for 30 minutes, make 5 local calls and still pay 1/10th the price of a 59 second call in Montreal or Toronto on Rogers/Bell/Telus?
I don't know, but I'd love to know.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Probably because you've done more business with Bell or had to deal with them more often.

Yes that's probably true. Although where I was in years past exclusively with Bell for phone and internet, I've been exclusive with Rogers for all services the past several years and I honestly can say it's been a better experience. Not that it's always a good experience though.

You can't put a cigarette paper between the two. The two companies only exist as they do because of their former monopoly status. In a real free market (of course without former CEOs at the top of the CRTC/lobbyists paid for by taxpayer capital,) Rogers and Bell might be third-tier brands, in a best case scenario.

Just remember that the broadband networks that connect us today exist more because of initial taxpayer capital, funding and subsidies than actual investments by quasi-free-market companies like Rogers and Bell.
I'm not arguing, I'd love to see better choices for consumers here. As much as everybody made light of the 'big announcement' from the throne speech being about cable and cell phone, the reality is that these services are becoming the backbone of society. Not just for entertainment purposes but for business, education. Want is quickly becoming need. So I'd like to see better and fairer options available nationwide. We've been gouged for years by all the providers.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I view them as being like our banks: They are all lying thieving bastard$ with the government in their pocket so jo&jane lunchbucket are guaranteed a screwing.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I view them as being like our banks: They are all lying thieving bastard$ with the government in their pocket so jo&jane lunchbucket are guaranteed a screwing.

Banks are actually the example I was thinking of, lol. And yes, they are all the same.

I can distinctly remember as a child listen to different adults bitching and moaning about the different banks over the years and having it dawn on me that really there's no difference between them.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It looks like Rogers has quashed his bill. Probably didn't want the negative publicity affecting their Christmas sales.;)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
It looks like Rogers has quashed his bill. Probably didn't want the negative publicity affecting their Christmas sales.;)
Rogers erases cancer fighter's bad cable bill
Chris Hofley/ QMI Agency
First posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 09:54 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:28 PM EST
OTTAWA - Gary Cartwright doesn't owe Rogers anything.
Soon after QMI Agency wrote about the $1,288 bill Cartwright - who has multiple sclerosis and is fighting cancer - received for charges in the months after his home burned down, Rogers reached out to try and rectify the situation.
"Thank you for bringing this to our attention," Luiza Staniec, Roger's public relations manger, said in an e-mail.
She said the company had reviewed Cartwright's file and would "be contacting him to offer our apologies and to discuss the steps we've taken to resolve the matter."
Cartwright, who is confined to a wheelchair, said he received several messages from a Rogers VP after his story came out.
"(The VP) said he was going to erase everything," Cartwright said of the charges.
The issue isn't completely resolved, as Cartwright still plans to call the collections agency to which Rogers forwarded his account to make sure it was cleared up on their end, too.
While he's happy the bill - which was for services he disconnected the week after the blaze - is being taken care of, he wished it hadn't required media exposure to get the ball rolling.
Cartwright was adamant from the beginning he was telling his story in the hopes that others wouldn't find themselves in a similar predicament.
He had said he wasn't going to give the collections agency a dime, but was concerned about how easily it seemed somebody's credit could be damaged by an erroneous cable bill.
"It's not just me, other people are dealing with it," he said.
Chris.hofley@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @chrishofley
Rogers erases cancer fighter's bad cable bill | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun