Karrie needs tech help!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, I've been having computer issues for a long time, with recurring freezing of my computer. It's now become immensely clear that it occurs anytime I watch any kind of video. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my web browser, as well as all the flash players, etc that I can think of, and still it keeps happening. I can not watch any video content without having to do a hard reboot on my comp. I've also run virus scans, adware scans, and they all claim my comp is now squeaky clean.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
Is your computer very old? It could be that your hard drive is (physically) overheating and stalling/crashing because of that.

Check to see (hear) that the internal fan is running occasionally.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Sounds like a heat problem I had with my old AMD64 but I'd bet Durka is on the right track. Word Perfect 9 used to do this to me too but then I got ver. 12 and it went away.
Good luck. :cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Is your computer very old? It could be that your hard drive is (physically) overheating and stalling/crashing because of that.

Check to see (hear) that the internal fan is running occasionally.

Oh yeah, I definitely have it crash due to overheating once in a while... the fan has always sucked in this laptop, and everyone I know with similar ones has the same issue.... this is ON TOP of that problem, and is almost instantaneous when I look at a vid.

Durka, I'll give that a shot and see if it helps.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Watching a flash video shouldn't significantly increase the system temperature.

Karrie, if you go to control panel-administrative tools-event viewer-application logs: Look for en entry with a red exclamation mark or yellow warning. Within that log, it should tell you what caused the browser to crash.

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
Oh yeah, I definitely have it crash due to overheating once in a while... the fan has always sucked in this laptop, and everyone I know with similar ones has the same issue.... this is ON TOP of that problem, and is almost instantaneous when I look at a vid.

Durka, I'll give that a shot and see if it helps.

If you're ever in a pinch and need to boot-up sooner rather than later, shut down the laptop (if it lets you), close it up and stick it in the fridge for a few minutes.

It sounds silly, but it does cool it down enough to get working again for a while.

PS - If it is crashing as often as you say; think real hard about transferring you files to disk or flash-drive... Once your HD is gone, it's a real pain to get all that data.

Just a thought.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Okay, I've been having computer issues for a long time, with recurring freezing of my computer. It's now become immensely clear that it occurs anytime I watch any kind of video. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my web browser, as well as all the flash players, etc that I can think of, and still it keeps happening. I can not watch any video content without having to do a hard reboot on my comp. I've also run virus scans, adware scans, and they all claim my comp is now squeaky clean.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?
Take the covers off and blow all the dust off the motherboard, power supply, etc) you might even want to take the fans apart and put a very small amount of 'lube' on the bearings so they spin faster and quieter.
Your graphics card should also have a fan so pop that out and service it also., Same thing with the CPU fan and use an air-hose of the exhaust from a vacuum to supply a blast of air. do it outside as a lot of dust will come out. Repeat yearly.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, that didn't cut it Durka. *pout*

As for backing up... I'm all backed up. I've got a new comp coming this week, and this one will be hubby's... I wanted to sort out the issues for him.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

As for backing up... I'm all backed up. I've got a new comp coming this week, and this one will be hubby's... I wanted to sort out the issues for him.
Rather than give him one that doesn't work all the time can you buy a high performance fan to increase the cooling. (now that I know it's not a tower)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I would check the application logs and see what exactly is causing the crash.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Start -Control panel-Administrative Tools-Event Viewer-Application Logs, System Logs

Look for entries near the top with red or yellow exclamation marks. If you find any, copy the text and paste it here and I'll see if I can decipher it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, I have a ton that say 'Media Centre update terminated'.

But, my most recent says ACEEventLog.... exception called by ATI.ACE.MOM and, obviously, a whole bunch of jibberish that my frigging comp won't let me copy and paste. lol. Do you need more info than that?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Okay, I have a ton that say 'Media Centre update terminated'.

But, my most recent says ACEEventLog.... exception called by ATI.ACE.MOM and, obviously, a whole bunch of jibberish that my frigging comp won't let me copy and paste. lol. Do you need more info than that?

Sounds like ATI media center is causing the crash, specifically the update portion.

My suggestion is that you reinstall the video drivers for the presumed ATI video card.

You can do this by going to the laptop manufacturer web site and downloading the latest drivers for your laptop model or you might be able to find them here: AMD Support Search

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I use CCleaner and another eraser program on a regular bases and I also wipe the temporary graphics.

I found that it speeds it up

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sounds like ATI media center is causing the crash, specifically the update portion.

My suggestion is that you reinstall the video drivers for the presumed ATI video card.

You can do this by going to the laptop manufacturer web site and downloading the latest drivers for your laptop model or you might be able to find them here: AMD Support Search

Okay, I'll go hunting and see if I can fix that, thanks!