Avast anti-virus

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I see AVG is getting out of their free anti-virus program in December. I've used AVG for years and it seemed to catch the odd virus....at least that is what it told me. Does anyone know anything about Avast? The only thing I know is that it is free.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I tried Avast out for a couple months, it's seems to be ok, except for the annoying advertisements that it pops up. It's free though so a little advertising is to be expected.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I see AVG is getting out of their free anti-virus program in December. I've used AVG for years and it seemed to catch the odd virus....at least that is what it told me. Does anyone know anything about Avast? The only thing I know is that it is free.

I hadn't heard that. Where did you learn that?

I've been using avg free for quite a while now.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Same notice here. I switched to Avast - again. Avast updates and scans don't slow FRED down like AVG ... and it seems to work. Now ... if that little voice would stop startling me....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I hadn't heard that. Where did you learn that?

I've been using avg free for quite a while now.

Yeah me too. About three times in the last week I've had a large pop-up from AVG telling me that as of December 1st, they would not be supporting their free program any longer. Next time it appears I'll try to get a link and post it here.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is basically what the notice said:
Important: You must upgrade to version 9 by December 1, 2009

AVG 8.5 is being replaced by AVG 9 and you will have to upgrade to stay protected. Updates for your current AVG Free will not be available after December 1, 2009.

Am I reading this wrong?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This is basically what the notice said:
Important: You must upgrade to version 9 by December 1, 2009

AVG 8.5 is being replaced by AVG 9 and you will have to upgrade to stay protected. Updates for your current AVG Free will not be available after December 1, 2009.

Am I reading this wrong?

They might be referring to free updates for version 8.5, it being unsupported after December 1, 2009.

Wasn't there a similar situation to this last year?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
it's the way AVG words the warning, you just need to upgrade to the newest free version. As for avast, it has been working fine for me and I agree with LW, it doesn't slow my systems down as much as AVG did. \The sounds can be disabled (as in that anoying voice telling you it has been updated) by right clicking n the ball with the a, going to program settings, then sounds, and clicking the box to shut sound off.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
it's the way AVG words the warning, you just need to upgrade to the newest free version. As for avast, it has been working fine for me and I agree with LW, it doesn't slow my systems down as much as AVG did. \The sounds can be disabled (as in that anoying voice telling you it has been updated) by right clicking n the ball with the a, going to program settings, then sounds, and clicking the box to shut sound off.

That is exactly right Gerry. I've just finished the installation of the new free version.

Would you say Avast is better than AVG?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
They might be referring to free updates for version 8.5, it being unsupported after December 1, 2009.

Wasn't there a similar situation to this last year?
Totally! I got notice after notice but was convinced by my son to ignore the notices. They did go away and now that we are approaching a new year, it seems it's the same this year. I still get notices to up date my free version. To date, I have not had any notices that the free version is about to disappear. On the link Juan provided, it states that they believe everyone is entitled to free virus protection so I really don't think they would say that in the first line and then take it away. It's a scare to make people buy the program but I don't think it's going anywhere. We used to use Norton and about a month or two weeks before it was time for renewal, we used to get a number of viruses sent to us which of course used to put us in panic mode but we soon realized it was quite likely Norton sending us harmless viruses to make sure we re-newed. We finally just went to AVG.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Totally! I got notice after notice but was convinced by my son to ignore the notices. They did go away and now that we are approaching a new year, it seems it's the same this year. I still get notices to up date my free version. To date, I have not had any notices that the free version is about to disappear. On the link Juan provided, it states that they believe everyone is entitled to free virus protection so I really don't think they would say that in the first line and then take it away. It's a scare to make people buy the program but I don't think it's going anywhere. We used to use Norton and about a month or two weeks before it was time for renewal, we used to get a number of viruses sent to us which of course used to put us in panic mode but we soon realized it was quite likely Norton sending us harmless viruses to make sure we re-newed. We finally just went to AVG.
I just took ten minutes and up graded my free version to 9.0. According to AVG it covers a few more things. Great. Now I'll stop worrying about the damn thing.;-)

I think AVG's wording was a bit fuzzy. I'd hate to think it was intended to stampede a few people into upgrading to the pay versions....Nobody would do that....Right??

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

I highly recommend Avast. I've used it since day one, and it has never failed me.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Been using avast for several years. Seems to work. Scared the crap out of me the first time it claimed to have caught a virus. Made lots of rude noises. Been using Safari for a browser for about a year now as well and seem to have way less problems than with MS. Next year wifey gets a new macbook and I get here old one and its bye bye billy and all your viruses.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Been using avast for several years. Seems to work. Scared the crap out of me the first time it claimed to have caught a virus. Made lots of rude noises. Been using Safari for a browser for about a year now as well and seem to have way less problems than with MS. Next year wifey gets a new macbook and I get here old one and its bye bye billy and all your viruses.

When I first installed avast I didn't realize I had my speakers turned way up. So when avast shouts out for the first time "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!". It freaked the living crap out of me! :lol: