HD Recovery

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Anyone have any experience with hard drive recovery services?

My home machine died - the HD will spin, and on startup you can hear the clicking as it tries to read itself, but nothing. I put it in an external SATA box, hoping I could get it to come to life and recover the files, but it doesn't want to read itself.

Was wondering about the recovery services - any recommendations?

PS - back up early, back up often.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

My home machine died - the HD will spin, and on startup you can hear the clicking as it tries to read itself, but nothing. I put it in an external SATA box, hoping I could get it to come to life and recover the files, but it doesn't want to read itself.

Send a pm to Francis. (or Spade) They may be able to help. I see Francis helping people all the time.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

What Durka said would be where I would start but you would need something like Ubuntu and burn it into a CD Rom to start up from the CD / DVD Drive.. Ubuntu comes in ISO Format and unless you can get to decompress it, you will get no where..

If that fails, you need to take it to a recovery place as the hard drive will have failed.. They can open the drive and read what is on it.. But it can be costly so be ready to fork over cash..

Good luck..

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Are you sure you hear it spinning up? Most hard drives fail due to the motor lacking sufficent torque to start the spinning the disks. Sometimes smacking it on power up gets the disks spinning. That won't fix the problem permanently, but might help to get it going one last time, so you can copy/recover the files before tossing your hard drive out.

Also, when disposing of computers or more specifically hard drives, you likely don't want anyone accessing sensitive data. If you buy anything online or do online banking, assume you have sensitive data on your hard drive. Erasing a hard drive doesn't eliminate the data. To render the data unrecoverable, I recommend opening the cover of your hard drive and smashing the disks with a hammer.

Its important to back up your disks regularly. External hard drives are cheap. If you have movies and music, try to keep two copies, one on your computer and the other on an external hard drive. Most important user files are under C:\Documents and Settings. I copy this directory and all its contents to an external hard drive periodically... Which reminds me.... I'd burn your pictures onto CDs. Always keep the original disks for your software in a safe location.

If you have important docs and want to save them, email them to yourself using a hotmail/gmail/yahoo online email account and let the cloud keep your files. Just remember these services can and do monitor your emails. But they won't break the law with your data.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can hear it spin up, and the head clicks as it tries to get into position.

I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with the recovery services.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I can hear it spin up, and the head clicks as it tries to get into position.

I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with the recovery services.

Sorry TP, the only recovery I have ever done was my own..

I opened a hard drive and fixed it myself, which I was told was impossible.. I would not dare do it again but those were the days all I kept on the drive was a few pictures and a resume. Not much to lose and just fun to prove people wrong..

ntvinh986

Nov 15, 2009

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.