Microsoft has released pricing for Windows 7

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium is priced at $199, with an upgrade from Vista or XP costing $119. The full version of Windows 7 Professional is $299, with upgrades going for $199. Windows 7 Ultimate is priced at $319, with the upgrade version at $219. All pricing in U.S. dollars.

Microsoft Discloses Windows 7 Pricing -- InformationWeek

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If you purchase OEM copies, you save substantially, the downside though is that OEM copies are unsupported by Microsoft.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If you purchase OEM copies, you save substantially, the downside though is that OEM copies are unsupported by Microsoft.

I wouldn't be buying the OEM version. I need somebody to yell at.;-) Has Microsoft added a new level in the "ultimate"?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wouldn't be buying the OEM version. I need somebody to yell at.;-) Has Microsoft added a new level in the "ultimate"?

Not too sure about Ultimate, I always thought it was a rip off as the only additions to it were "active directory" support and some crappy "extras".

The home premium version of Vista has served me well, I think it cost about $120.00 when I bought it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
haha. Talk about ancient, I haven't used that OS since about 94 or so.

Is it true that with Windows 3.1 you could actually hurt the feelings of the "file manager", causing a crash?...;-)

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Not too sure about Ultimate, I always thought it was a rip off as the only additions to it were "active directory" support and some crappy "extras".

The home premium version of Vista has served me well, I think it cost about $120.00 when I bought it.

The ability to switch languages is useful in some settings.

I like the OEM versions. I usually like to run things with the safeties off. Like my lack of a virus scanner and firewall. Manually monitoring processes is so much more enjoyable. Like some sort of computer ant farm.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The ability to switch languages is useful in some settings.

I like the OEM versions. I usually like to run things with the safeties off. Like my lack of a virus scanner and firewall. Manually monitoring processes is so much more enjoyable. Like some sort of computer ant farm.

I am monolingual so the language packs don't do much for me.

I keep AVG just in case a virus gets added to a zip file, my router works well enough as a firewall. I usually have task manager open so I can restart certain processes that like to consume large amounts of memory, sidebar.exe is the main culprit, I have seen it use as much as 500mb of memory.

Supreme

May 21, 2009
What are people doing still using windows nowadays anyways? Haven't people found out that 5 minute boot times and the usual crash isn't what an OS is meant to do? :p

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
What are people doing still using windows nowadays anyways? Haven't people found out that 5 minute boot times and the usual crash isn't what an OS is meant to do? :p

Funny, I have never used any operating system that takes five minutes to boot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Funny, I have never used any operating system that takes five minutes to boot.

I haven't had that problem since Windows 98. I don't think it ever took five minutes to boot but it was, on occasion, pretty slow. I am currently using XP and (knock wood), I don't have those problems.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I haven't had that problem since Windows 98. I don't think it ever took five minutes to boot but it was, on occasion, pretty slow. I am currently using XP and (knock wood), I don't have those problems.

Boot time is greatly effected by the number of startup processes, drive fragmentation, device initialization etc. My pc usually boots in about 90 seconds, from BIOS Post to Windows Login.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

What crash, Supreme? I can understand 5 minutes boot time (my computer needs that much) but I have never had a crash. Of course, my needs are simple. Word processor, spreadsheet, DOS programs and internet. But I have never had trouble with my computer, not with virus, crash etc.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Back in the days of 3.1 and dial-up, you could go away and make a sandwich while waiting for the system to boot-up and get on line......maybe read the paper too.;-)

95 was a waste of time. 98 was definite improvement, kind of like 95 should have been, but it still crashed on a regular basis.

I had an OEM version of windows 2000(read pirate version)and wasn't impressed.

XP was a real step forward and from what I've read, the best OS till windows 7

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Boot time is greatly effected by the number of startup processes, drive fragmentation, device initialization etc. My pc usually boots in about 90 seconds, from BIOS Post to Windows Login.

My Mac boots in about 30 seconds. Windoze machines drive me nuts.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
My Mac boots in about 30 seconds. Windoze machines drive me nuts.

With the amount of hardware I have in the pc, the boot time doesn't bother me much. I have 4 internal hard drives, about 6 fans, blu-ray drive, hefty video card etc.

I never shut up my pc down either so the only time I really have to reboot is after a critical windows update or hardware change.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
When I noticed sidebar taking up enormous amounts of ram, I disabled it and never looked back.

My machine boots pretty quickly. Couldn't tell you how quickly, because usually I am not sitting there waiting for it to boot. Its less than a minute in any case. Of course, I could have it boot in 15 seconds if I didn't want to load anything. It can take a while to load a gigabyte of programs from random locations on the hard drive.

On a related note, I stopped using the hibernate feature when I noticed that the combined time of hibernating and restarting was slower than just shutting down and restarting.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
With the amount of hardware I have in the pc, the boot time doesn't bother me much. I have 4 internal hard drives, about 6 fans, blu-ray drive, hefty video card etc.

I never shut up my pc down either so the only time I really have to reboot is after a critical windows update or hardware change.

I'm much the same. Its just too much to shut down and turn on each day. Plus I like to run tasks in the evening after I've go to sleep so that I don't have to sit through it or wait for something when I want to use some high demand program.

It's really is amazing though how with so much technology I can manage to sit here and do nothing at all for so long. :lol: