With so many Social Sites, have you had a friend pass away linked to you?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
With so many Social Sites up and running have you ever had a friend pass away and had to deal with it..

Sites such as

Facebook

MySpace

LinkedIn

Make it easy to connect with people but as an example a very good friend of mine passed away and still appears on "People you may know" on LinkedIn.

I remember when my mother passed away I removed all her contacts from MSN Messenger so Family and Friends would not have to constantly deal with the site of her name and found it difficult. Of course I had asked my Family members for permission to do so first and we had all agreed it would be best as her death had been so painful to all those on the list as you have the option not to remove her name from your side.

I am just wondering if perhaps the Moderators here can advise if they have ever been asked to remove friends or peoples names that some may know have passed away or how you would deal with such issue ?

Just curious... :-|

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,
Like your new avatar. That's a strange question but also a good one. I have to wonder though - on a place like this, how would they know? I realize facebook is a whole different ball of wax but I think on here, since the person would no longer be posting, the profile would sorta just sit there unused just like when people no longer bother to come on line but they are still alive and well. Are you thinking more in terms of "remove all traces".

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Hi,
Like your new avatar. That's a strange question but also a good one. I have to wonder though - on a place like this, how would they know? I realize facebook is a whole different ball of wax but I think on here, since the person would no longer be posting, the profile would sorta just sit there unused just like when people no longer bother to come on line but they are still alive and well. Are you thinking more in terms of "remove all traces".

No I mean some of us do know who we are. You as an example know who I am and there is little others with my name in my area if any others. Should something happen to me and it be tragic, would you have a hard time seeing my Avatar on your friend list knowing I have a young son and daughter, if you could not remove it. I don't think its an issue here but how would it be dealt with if it was.

Like I said, just a question.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
This has come up here before... well not the issue of what to do with someone's profile... we've only been able to speculate, but we're almost certain we've lost at least one since I've been here. Unfortunately, in most cases, we can never be sure if that's why an active member suddenly stops posting.It actually was the catalyst for us to put in an option on member profiles to add an emergency number for us to contact should we become concerned about the well being of a member.

We don't really have a clear protocol about when to contact someone, or what to do if such an event happens... I wouldn't think we'd be deleting anything though.

On another site I was a member at, there was a very tragic loss of a member - we found out almost immediately as she was at the home of another member when it happened. Nothing of hers was deleted. We honoured and grieved her as a community, and everything she ever wrote stayed put exactly as she wrote it.

I think it's appropriate for a person's posts would remain there for anyone who might like to come and revisit them... I hope we would never consider removing someone's profile after they've left us for any reason.

It is a bit sobering when you think about it though... to think that every word you've ever written on a forum might be there long after you're gone - even the stuff that may have been written in the heat of battle... do you think if people thought about that before they hit submit, they might reconsider what they've written?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
This has come up here before... well not the issue of what to do with someone's profile... we've only been able to speculate, but we're almost certain we've lost at least one since I've been here. Unfortunately, in most cases, we can never be sure if that's why an active member suddenly stops posting.It actually was the catalyst for us to put in an option on member profiles to add an emergency number for us to contact should we become concerned about the well being of a member.

We don't really have a clear protocol about when to contact someone, or what to do if such an event happens... I wouldn't think we'd be deleting anything though.

On another site I was a member at, there was a very tragic loss of a member - we found out almost immediately as she was at the home of another member when it happened. Nothing of hers was deleted. We honoured and grieved her as a community, and everything she ever wrote stayed put exactly as she wrote it.

I think it's appropriate for a person's posts would remain there for anyone who might like to come and revisit them... I hope we would never consider removing someone's profile after they've left us for any reason.

It is a bit sobering when you think about it though... to think that every word you've ever written on a forum might be there long after you're gone - even the stuff that may have been written in the heat of battle... do you think if people thought about that before they hit submit, they might reconsider what they've written?

Oh my, no I would not want what was written removed.. That was far from my point..

I think different people deal with grief in different ways. Some cannot stand to see a lost ones Avatar or Name on a screen day in and day out on a daily basis during the grief time. While others honour that name..

In our cases, here at CC, we have friends attached to our profiles. If you remove that name I am not sure if it is removed from your profile completely and remains on the person's other profile.

On MSN Messenger, the name remains in your Contact list and is virtually impossible to remove unless you change email address and start again.

On LinkedIn all past coworkers keep showing up as people you should potentially "LinkUp" to..

Some of those other sites can be quite aggressive in pushing names and as a matter of knowledge I happen to know this person has passed away a tragic death. It is quite annoying to me more then disturbing..

I must admit the hardest thing I ever did was hit the "Forget Me" on MSN Messenger for my Mother's name to remove her from MSN live. I promised her out loud that she would never be "Forgotten" and that it was just a Microsoft term that needed to be done. You see I do all the Computer work in the family so it was left to me to do so my father could use the computer.

God Bless her as she lives in my memory and always will :angel8:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I am sorry to hear about your mother's passing. I can tell that you love her very much.:-(

(Sorry for veering off-topic)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No I mean some of us do know who we are. You as an example know who I am and there is little others with my name in my area if any others. Should something happen to me and it be tragic, would you have a hard time seeing my Avatar on your friend list knowing I have a young son and daughter, if you could not remove it. I don't think its an issue here but how would it be dealt with if it was.

Like I said, just a question.
Hi Sir Fran,
I just now saw this post. You know how it is, some topics can get buried for awhile until someone revives them. You already know that it bothered me when JLM's name still showed on the other forums and while he was apparently banned, it did not show that he was and I assumed that since I had written to him to see if he was alright, and did not receive an answer, that he had passed on. It took sometime for me to trust that he was who he said he was when we all came on here. Part of the reason for that was in HH pretending to be him on there. Yes - I do know you in a sense and I know about your family. I know the names of a few people here and they know mine as well. I saw that you asked Sirrup if he had missed you there and I don't think he responded. Maybe it's because he knew you were here. He is on my friends list along with you so it's easy enough to notice. Also, there were times when you were busy with family and did not show up for awhile even on there. Yes - I noticed. Since I know your name, and since in real miles we do not live that far apart, I may go so far as to call and see if you are okay if you were gone for a long time. That said - both Spade and Sirrup have gone on vacation without announcing their private plans and it would never have occurred to me to check up on them. Their home circumstances are different than yours though in that (I know you have stated this publicly) they are both married and would have someone checking.
If I knew you were a "dearly departed", I would probably contact a moderator and advise them of that and they would probably just remove your posts anyway. As I said before, after a short time, nothing like an avatar would show up if you quit posting. If you are troubled, you can always send a PM.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I should have read more before I posted. I see that the posts would not be removed. I know of some people who have written some pretty nasty stuff that should they become ill, they MAY wish they had not said but probably those people wouldn't really care anyway. I think if another poster means very little to them while they are alive, the poster would mean even less to them if they were dying. Posts are not so bad. It's answering machines that are bad if you know someone personally. Hearing the voice of a friend that has passed is quite disconcerting. I may have already said that.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't remember being asked to remove something here. Unlike the facebook kind of social networking, a forum like this is generally used by one member of a family and it's more of an anonymous platform for most people.

One of the saddest situations I saw was a member, a regular poster, losing his wife during childbirth. He said he would be away dealing with stuff but never returned. I feel bad because no one stayed in contact with him. That was in 2006.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

That is always my intention everytime I post, which is to best represent who I am as a real person within each of my posts.... both good and bad.

I have thought about this situation as it would relate to me sometime in the future and wondered what kind of procedures I myself should go about setting up for when I die.

Do I just cease to exist in here and not get someone to let everybody know that I didn't get fed up and leave, that I actually died, or should I get someone I know to pop onto the various places I have been and let other's know, via using my account one last time?

Then again, who would really care and would it be worth while? We all die, that's a given.

As it goes for what to do about members who pass away, I don't believe clearing their account and/or wiping their posts and all records of them would be the best thing you could do. Sure in some cases some people might feel too emotional seeing their avatar, or their posts, or anything else by them for that matter...... but wiping everything they have done, everything they spent time in doing, all the information they wished to share with many other people, does a big injustice to their memory, as you're deleting those memories..... why? Because they hurt..... sure, I can understand that.

But it's not your information to delete or remove, it's theirs that they wished to share with everybody else, not just yourself. Generally speaking, I feel it's a selfish act when people do this just to comfort themselves..... what happens after you accepted their death, moved on from it, and learned to deal with it? Would you still have wanted all their information and work removed? What if you requested it to be removed only to regret the decision down the road? Once it's done, it's done..... there's very little chance of getting it back.

But I did say generally speaking, in some cases, such as the OP (I don't know, nor do I want to know what happened) it is best to do so..... it depends on the situation. But I feel that for myself, no matter how much it may hurt me to keep seeing someone's information, posts, contributions in a paticular web site, I would never request their stuff be removed/deleted.

If it bothers me that much, then I will either remove all the information I can from my own account so it isn't always shoved in my face, or I just will leave the place period.

Regardless of what it all is we're speaking of.... be that myspace, facebook, forums, whatever.... that is a part of their history.... history that will last for as long as the site does. When I die, my Myspace, Facebook, etc. will remain the same, so that if anybody wishes to, they can visit my stuff and reflect apon anything they wish..... and I would do the very same.

Going back to how one would post knowing that much of this would remain long after they are dead..... I go back to the point that we are all human, with our own emotions, reasoning, logic, beliefs, etc..... whether they are good or bad to you, may turn out to be the opposite for another. Perhaps much of my stuff could be considered crap.... then again, maybe it's just so-so.... or good.... who knows? Who cares? I let people take it for what it is and make their own judgements for themselves.

If I'm remembered as a decent person who liked to shake things up, then so be it..... if I'm remembered as a loud mouthed jerk.... then I'll be haunting your ass :twisted:

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't remember being asked to remove something here. Unlike the facebook kind of social networking, a forum like this is generally used by one member of a family and it's more of an anonymous platform for most people.

One of the saddest situations I saw was a member, a regular poster, losing his wife during childbirth. He said he would be away dealing with stuff but never returned. I feel bad because no one stayed in contact with him. That was in 2006.
Maybe he reads the posts but doesn't know if he should jump back in. Sometimes people don't want to talk about things. So - if there is a chance I am right - if the poster is reading this - jump in, say you are back and you want to move forward without discussing the past. I'm sure everyone would respect that.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Maybe he reads the posts but doesn't know if he should jump back in. Sometimes people don't want to talk about things. So - if there is a chance I am right - if the poster is reading this - jump in, say you are back and you want to move forward without discussing the past. I'm sure everyone would respect that.

There could be more truth in your paragraph than you think. I have noticed recently a lot of Members that have not been here in a very long time(and have not posted in at least a couple of years) have visited. Perhaps this will be the case for this gentleman?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
As for myself, I am thinking of giving my parents and/or sisters a sealed envelope with the password/account name for a few of the forums that I belong to(and one that I no longer post at, but view from time to time). That way, if I happen to pass away(not for a loooooong time, I hope!) they can open it and let my friends know what happened and so they are no longer wondering where I was.