Great computer speakers

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My son just built a set of these. They each use just one 3 and a half inch Fostex full range driver, about thirty dollars each, and five dollars worth of used plywood. They are a horn design that is very efficient and they absolutely fill a room. 89 decibals at 1 watt. I've just about finished mine...can't wait to get them going. Is anyone is interested?

lieexpsr

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2007
Absolutely interested and a covering of oal veneer which can be purchased at Windsor plywood on Boban will make them lood great! Is there some kind of sound deadening material in the plastic bag at the bottom? Sawdust? Rocks?

Do help him with the veneer work!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My son is thirty eight years old. These photos are from the site of the sound engineer who designed them. My son used 3/4 inch oak for his and they look great. I'm using some old oak faced plywood and I've mitered all the joins.(no endgrain) I'll post a picture when they are finished. Horn technology is used a lot by people like Bose.

Here are some really advanced horn designs.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan,

You need to get your self a good sound card to do those speakers some justice.

The last set of speakers are almost two meters hight. and are meant for a conventional stereo. The smaller speakers will do very well with a few watts. If you happened to have a ten watt sound card they do very well. I can't believe the amount of base that they put out with so little power.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do the speakers have their own amp?

No. My son Eric put together a 10 watt a side stereo amplifier from scratch using transistors, capacitors, and transformers that he had laying around. I don't have that talent. What I have is a $29 dollar Logitech amp and speaker set that I've had for a few years. It has a small sub-woofer and two side speakers. This amp provides ten watts for the sub and five watts for each of the side speakers. I have snipped off the side speakers and I'll add my horn speakers to that system. I have already tested this system on Eric's speakers and it works great.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That's a pretty cool project you have going there Juan. Highs and lows are clear on the speakers?

Yes, very good. I haven't posted all the pictures but what you do is pack pillow stuffing around the back of the full range speakers to filter out the high frequency stuff. . The highs and midrange come out from the front of the speaker. The long path from the back of the speaker has been tuned to resonate the low frequencies. I was very impressed.......impressed enough to build them..:wave:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Those are amazing. Any chance of getting my greedy little paws on some plans??

Thanks

I will post plans as soon as I can. My scanner is acting up right now but I should have that sorted out by tomorrow.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I had completely forgotten about this topic. It was three years ago. I'll look around and see if I have any of the drawings still around. I think I was interrupted by a family emergency and never got back to it.. Let me see what I can find.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Absolutely interested and a covering of oal veneer which can be purchased at Windsor plywood on Boban will make them lood great! Is there some kind of sound deadening material in the plastic bag at the bottom? Sawdust? Rocks?

Do help him with the veneer work!
So you are from Nanaimo. Who else would know about Boban? That would likely be Oak Veneer would it not? Do help yourself to spell check.
I just noticed the post is very old -probably a good thing.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
VI, Juan dragged this thread out from 2007. :)

Actually I didn't.. It was a topic that I kind of forgot for one reason or another. It just appeared on the boards. I built the speakers in question but for some reason I forgot about it.. There was a family emergency back about then and I never got back to it.