Open Source Personal Entertainment Player (GP2X)

Judland

Electoral Member
This week I bought myself a new portable video/audio player and gaming device called the GP2X. This is the first "gaming" system I've bought myself since my Sega Genesis, back in the early '90s.

I must say, this is an awesome little device. Best of all, it runs on Linux and is open source... that is, everyone is free to develop, contribute, distribute software and other devices for this machine.

The community that is contributing to the GP2X world is relatively small, but we're growing and, as most things Linux, advancing by the week.

I blog a bit about it here if anyone's interested... with some video capture of the GP2X in action (scroll down to my blog entry for April 8th for those).

The best thing about the GP2X so far for me: many of the "old school" gaming systems (Sega Genesis, C64, Nintendo, even the old arcade games) have emulation software available, so all of my favorites I can now play in the palm of my hand; I don't need to set up the old hardware/equipment to play them anymore.

8)

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
RE: Open Source Personal

Wow, cool! WTF? Dual core?!!

Neat little device... I've never seen a portable device (besides a laptop) that has a dual core cpu in it.

But, after I got over the dual-core excitement, I decided against buying it because it didn't fit my needs... no built-in hard drive = no portable storage.

BTW, how big is the screen?

Judland

Electoral Member
No portable stroage? It uses SD flash cards as storage, so at the moment firmware will support up to 2GB of storage.

It also has a USB connection. So, all that is required is the development of software that utilizes USB technology to add that storage potential. It's not here yet, but at the rate the community is developing, it won't be long. And that's the real power behind the device... the community and our ability to make the GP2X into what ever we want.

None-the-less, 2GB of flash RAM is pretty good, not to mention being interchangeable (that is, if you had two 2GB SD RAM cards, well, you have twice the storage capabilities).

I've certainly been enjoying it. It's great entertainment for my business flights up to northern mine sites.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Re: RE: Open Source Personal Entertainment Player (GP2X)

Judland said:
No portable stroage? It uses SD flash cards as storage, so at the moment firmware will support up to 2GB of storage.

It also has a USB connection. So, all that is required is the development of software that utilizes USB technology to add that storage potential. It's not here yet, but at the rate the community is developing, it won't be long. And that's the real power behind the device... the community and our ability to make the GP2X into what ever we want.

None-the-less, 2GB of flash RAM is pretty good, not to mention being interchangeable (that is, if you had two 2GB SD RAM cards, well, you have twice the storage capabilities).

I've certainly been enjoying it. It's great entertainment for my business flights up to northern mine sites.

What I meant is that this device needs a hard drive built-in... so you can use it as a portable storage device. The cost of SD cards or any flash memory, for that matter, is expensive when compared to mobile hard drives. A decent 2gb SD card will run you about $80... now if you got 20gb worth of these cards, well... I wish they put a built-in hard drive instead.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

Judland

Electoral Member
I see.... Anyway, it can still be used as a portable storage device. It's not like it can't be used in such a way. You're just making the comment that you'd prefer something with more storage space. I get ya.

Luckily, I don't need to carry ALL of my movies, music and software around with me at one time, so it works out just fine. ;)

Cronos

Sep 12, 2006
I have a GP2X and think it is amazing. I love all the emulators, the neo-geo and genesis are killer. If you like old school games and having a portable mp3/movie/picture/games device then get one right now.

gangstalking

Electoral Member
Sep 10, 2006
Sounds like a very neat find.

Oh and for portable storage devices you can get one that holds 20 gb for about 100-200. Small enough to fit into your shirt pocket.