friends, Canada needs your help to stay on top!

unpossible

Apr 12, 2005
Hey, guys. Bear with me -- this is a BIG BIG post! I'm trying to find some more Canadians who might be interested in joining up for a good cause!

The World Community Grid is a venture by IBM to let people donate their clock cycles towards protein folding and curing diseases. It's kind of like SETI@home, but it's big because it's basically one of the things that IBM is banking its future on -- and it's about twice as effective as they were thinking it would be!

I just thought I'd let everyone know that Canada has a team, and they're already #4 in TOTAL POINT GENERATED:

Slashdot Users 88,506,345
IBM Corporation 23,596,904
IBM Rochester 15,789,455
Canada 14,497,815
MyOnlineTeam 11,520,589
IBM Software Services 9,783,396
TribalWar.com 9,397,240
IBM Australia 9,244,694
IBM Innovation Centres 9,019,977
IBM Research Triangle Park (RTP) 8,389,121
America (USA) 8,334,622

First, it's sort of nice that Canada is beating team USA. ;) But everyone wins -- because every donated CPU cycle is an act of love.

I think that the general goodwill of this project is really encouraging, and it's astonishing everyone -- IBM announced that the entire human proteome is going to be finished in something like 6 months now, instead of the year and a half that they thought. It's proved to be really easy for groups to move up the ranks, and aside from Slashdot (who will always have the lock on the number one spot) it's an open field.

Team Canada is, unfortunately, being out-produced in a big way every day though, and is in danger of losing its dominance within a week or two. :eek: But as few as ten or twenty more people signing up could give Team Canada the extra production needed to keep competitive -- and overcome IBM for the #2 spot overall!

We have about 6 months left before this is over. It's been running for about 6 so far, and while Team Canada was basically THE ORIGINAL non-corporate team (well, and non-slashdot, they're just too huge)

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org

Once you've downloaded and installed it (it doesn't interfere with your computer! you can set it to run as a screensaver, and can easily turn it off, or leave it running and it won't slow things down because it only uses extra/spare cycles), click on this:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=4C21G7R9N

edit: Forgot to mention!

Make sure to go to this forum thread and sign in afterwards, so we can say hello, and so that you can be in touch with other team members!!!!
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=1540

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: friends, Canada needs

I did the SETI one for a while, Crespo. Basically what your are doing is letting them use the idle capacity of your computer. They get a bunch of people doing it and it amounts to a huge super computer.

unpossible

Apr 12, 2005
Re: RE: friends, Canada needs

CrEsPo said:
What is this? I mean do you have to install some sort of program? If so what does this program send out?
Boy, I flubbed that one!

Yes -- it connects to IBM, gets a job, and then works on that job -- for anywhere from a couple of hours to about one and a half DAYS. When it finishes that job, it asks for another one.

However, because it's very efficient, it only uses the cycles that you don't need. At the first sign of conflict with another resource, it always yields immediately -- meaning that you will never notice it affecting the speed of your computer.

All by itself, it's pretty boring. I would never, ever have been interested enough in this to keep it installed or running. But once you join a team, it's much more fun. ;) And Team Canada is #4 in the world! Very impressive -- beating America, lots of other countries, and most internal IBM divisions. It's just Slashdot, IBM and IBM rochester ahead of Canada right now -- and TC can easily sweep them out of the way and end up on top of this thing with just a few more people joining up.