MPAA Torrent Threats/Shutdowns

marker

Feb 16, 2005
Toronto
Whats your thoughts on the MPAA and the torrent scene?

The torrent scene is dying slowly, as site after site is getting pecked off. Well.. it is pirating.. so how long could this go on?

Interesting stuff.. it's too bad they just wont go away :)

I wonder why Microsoft hasn't started getting court orders to shut these sites down as well.. All they do is send a letter telling the sites to remove the M$ products..

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it
RE: MPAA Torrent Threats/

They shut down TorrentBits and look what popped up. Feed The Masses (private only right now) and EliteTorrents. They shut down the best torrent site and two equally as good sites pop up.

Suprnova down? Snarf-It and Mininova to the rescue!

Notice a trend? Each time the MPAA shuts down a site, the community just gets stronger.

File sharing is like a virus to the RIAA/MPAA. You will never be able to kill it off! You can "clean" one machine (shut down a site) but you get other "infected" machines popping up more rapidly (new sites come up).

marker

Feb 16, 2005
Toronto

Yea, but now theyve shutdown lokitorrent, torrentstop (same provider) and uk-torrents.

Slowly edging their way around..
sure, I still have about 25 other torrent sites bookmarked.. but it's interesting seeing them get chiseled away 1 at a time. You can see the billion dollar MPAA Plan in action... (Im only guessing at the money they're pouring into this)...
Probably would be cheaper for them to just let it ride :)

The thing is, many people can run these site so often because so many people donate small amounts of money.. But now that they're starting to get taken down, more and more people are afraid to give money, and they will eventually stop popping up.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

No matter what the MPAA does the P2P community will find some way to counter it.

Look at eXeem for example. It is horrible right now but the idea is right. Decentralization of BT. Once that gets rolling I wouldn't want to be in the MPAA's shoes.

There is never going to be a way to stop "rebels". In any part of society there will always be people getting away with something. No matter what someone does to try to stop them, they will counter. It's an on going cycle.

The only real big site was LokiTorrents, but just watch. I have my bets on another site popping up soon to try and steal their spotlight.

Already a site NextTorrents is up but it has a bad rep right now for their security. We'll see how that plans out aye?

BrokenSword

Feb 19, 2005
UK
I agree that when sites close more simply pop up...however elitetorrents was already a well established BT site before the closure of TB - they just opened their doors and raised their user limit to accomodate the refugees.

I think the closure of BT sites is a bit overhyped at the mo. Most that have closed have had links to the US like loki, or simply have closed out of fear.

I still think if BT sites are situated in places like Sweden, Asia etc for the time being they dont have much to worry about. The scare tactics are just used to put people off downloading, which actually seems to work for some users and owners of sites, even though site owners arent breaking any laws - remember they have torrents (links) not illegal content.

P.S - i know it is a private site but what is the url for FTM? I miss them since the closure of old TB.

EDIT: when you say nextorrents has a bad reputation for security, are you talking about the hacking? I would never support a site like that just because of the spamming they have done in other forums and the hacking they have done at TorrentBytes.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it
Re: RE: MPAA Torrent Threats/Shutdowns

BrokenSword said:
I still think if BT sites are situated in places like Sweden, Asia etc for the time being they dont have much to worry about. The scare tactics are just used to put people off downloading, which actually seems to work for some users and owners of sites, even though site owners arent breaking any laws - remember they have torrents (links) not illegal content.

Agreed. Just have sites outside the juradiction of the US and you're fine.

BrokenSword said:
P.S - i know it is a private site but what is the url for FTM? I miss them since the closure of old TB.

Sorry, I don't remember the URL. I kind of slowed down on BT usage.

BrokenSword said:
when you say nextorrents has a bad reputation for security, are you talking about the hacking? I would never support a site like that just because of the spamming they have done in other forums and the hacking they have done at TorrentBytes.

First they spoofed they host in Spain meanwhile are hosted in Colorando, USA.

Second, the admin acts like a five year old, not only spamming forums with his address but also talking like it.

"OMG !!!!!! someone just wrote it i dont know why i dont know who start it with that bullshit NEXTORRRENTS is the best secure site ever and we did this site all for u ... u will see u were wrong ...

this is JUST BULLSH*T !!!!
bullsh*t man !!!

NEXTORRENTS IS THE SECUCRE PLACE EVER someone start with it only cause pepole think we hacked torrentbytes lol

anyway my friends use the site it wsa built for u guys u r the heart of this site without u the tracker is nothing

i want u to please tell anyone u know this is BULLSH*T !! dont belive any of this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:cool:

Third, the alleged TorrentBytes hacking.

Albeit they are just rumours (not sure if they really are in Colorado, USA, just two good friends posted that) my second point makes me stear clear.