attn: linux gurus

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
i've been running dual boot XP/FC2 for a little while now, and so far i've managed to find a suitable linux replacement or successfully emulate every windows program i use on a regular basis, save one:

VPN-1 SecuRemote/SecureClient

they have a linux version, but it's for RH7 and won't run on the newer kernel version that i'm using.

if i can find a way to connect to this vpn via linux, i can remove windows from my life completely.

suggestions?

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
i've been running dual boot XP/FC2 for a little while now, and so far i've managed to find a suitable linux replacement or successfully emulate every windows program i use on a regular basis, save one:

they have a linux version, but it's for RH7 and won't run on the newer kernel version that i'm using.

if i can find a way to connect to this vpn via linux, i can remove windows from my life completely.

suggestions?

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com

suggestions?

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
Everyone who switches to Linux is afraid to let go of their Windows programs. There are these things we need. It took me about two years to finally let Windows go; to realize that I wasn't using it. Everyone should start out with dual boot, or two machines.

Linux grew up on networking and the Internet. It's at home connected. It's actually better connected than Windows is. So, as to your interest, I would suggest that you look at the Debian manual. http://www.debian.org/doc/. Debian has the largest stock of programs and is the easiest to add programs to. Just "apt-get install [filename]". The APT installer is the best one available.

Distro watch http://distrowatch.com/ has lots of articles and reviews on the various distros.

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC
Everyone who switches to Linux is afraid to let go of their Windows programs. There are these things we need. It took me about two years to finally let Windows go; to realize that I wasn't using it. Everyone should start out with dual boot, or two machines.

Linux grew up on networking and the Internet. It's at home connected. It's actually better connected than Windows is. So, as to your interest, I would suggest that you look at the Debian manual. http://www.debian.org/doc/. Debian has the largest stock of programs and is the easiest to add programs to. Just "apt-get install [filename]". The APT installer is the best one available.

Distro watch http://distrowatch.com/ has lots of articles and reviews on the various distros.

Mooseskin Johnny

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2004
BC

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: attn: Linux gurus

I just started with Linux the Kanotix version. I don't know too much about it yet. But I installed a second hard drive and put Linux on it and I actually use it more now than XP. I intend to remove XP once I figure out all the features on Linux. Linux is easy to use for me. But with all new operating system it takes a while to figure out the little things.

You can get many programs similar to "Microsoft" that run perfectly well if not better than what Bill Gates charges. And for free to boot.

We have been brainwashed over the years into thinking Microsoft is the only way your computer will run right, and if you use something else your computer wont run properly. That is BS. Linux and Apples O/S 10 jag are way better than anything Gates comes out with. I spent 400 on full version of XP Pro and it was a waste of money.

I too was hesitant to try something non Microsoft (Linux) due to brainwashing but I am sure in hell glad I made the switch.

If you see "Judland" on the board ask him, he helped me out a lot (especially picking out which version to use, and he/she was bang on). He/She knows a fair bit about Linux and will be able to help you more than I. As I am just a Linux "newbie". Good Luck. :cool:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I just started with Linux the Kanotix version. I don't know too much about it yet. But I installed a second hard drive and put Linux on it and I actually use it more now than XP. I intend to remove XP once I figure out all the features on Linux. Linux is easy to use for me. But with all new operating system it takes a while to figure out the little things.

You can get many programs similar to "Microsoft" that run perfectly well if not better than what Bill Gates charges. And for free to boot.

We have been brainwashed over the years into thinking Microsoft is the only way your computer will run right, and if you use something else your computer wont run properly. That is BS. Linux and Apples O/S 10 jag are way better than anything Gates comes out with. I spent 400 on full version of XP Pro and it was a waste of money.

I too was hesitant to try something non Microsoft (Linux) due to brainwashing but I am sure in hell glad I made the switch.

If you see "Judland" on the board ask him, he helped me out a lot (especially picking out which version to use, and he/she was bang on). He/She knows a fair bit about Linux and will be able to help you more than I. As I am just a Linux "newbie". Good Luck. :cool:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Judland

Electoral Member
Regarding VPN... I don't know much about, but I'm making some enquiries. So, if no one else has an answer, I'll do my best to gather something together for you.

Regarding spyware on Linux.... In the 3 (+) years as a Linux user, I've never had to worry about such things. I've got SpamAssasin running, but that's just to help filter out e-mail.

My best advice about spyware for Linux is:

1) Try and utilize the official repositories of your distribution of choice as much as possible, when installing software. In the case of Kanotix, this is using Synaptic and/or apt-get with the repository list supplied.

2) If you download packages from the Net, make use of the md5sum signature to ensure you've downloaded exactly what the developer as provided. An md5sum signature that does not match that supplied on the developer's website should suggest to you that you've got a file that doesn't match what the developer originally created.

Being open source, the community members are very quick to divulge any "funny business" going on.

Following these two simple rules, I've never had issues with un-wanted software being installed on my Linux box. I don't know of any spyware for Linux based web browsers.

David.

Judland

Electoral Member
Are you using it for music play back, or video playback, or both?

If you want an EQ for music playback purposes, I suggest trying XMMS or open up Synaptic (your software installer) and download Amarok. These two music playback apps. have much better EQ features and plug-ins available for them.

I'm not certain that Xine has a built-in EQ.

Judland

Electoral Member
I believe that "Ham" is just another term for "not-spam". Go figure. :roll:

I've only been using K-mail's filters to filter out spam, with the help of spamassasin.

Marking e-mails as "ham" indicated e-mails you wish to read. Although, I'm not quite sure of the whole "ham" association. You may want to do a quick Google search on "kmail ham".

Judland

Electoral Member
Re: RE: attn: linux gurus

no1important said:
Would anyone know if the video player "XINE" has an EQ? If so, how do I access it? Thanks.

Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.....

Get the application, Kaffeine from Synaptic. It's a KDE media player that uses Xine. It has an equalizer, which you can use.