Help!! Service Pack 2 Problem

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
I upgraded my Win XP to service pack 2 ... now my Norton Internet Security 2004 won't allow me to connect to internet. I keep getting this weird error message about rules for svchost.exe

I went to task manager & disabled svchost.exe which allowed me to get onto the net, but this is driving me nuts!!

Anyone else have this problem????

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hi! Cosmo

I sort of dislike answering puter questions via a bulletin board like this.
I could go on and on with what I think the problem might be and only to find out that you already tried that. It is very frustrating.

When SP2 first hit, I was the first one out there downloading it. I never read anything .... I just trusted Microsoft. Well .... after the installation and I rebooted, my system crashed.

The problem was the firewall trip conflict.

If possible, you should disable your security settings and firewall prior installation of SP2.

I too use Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works (anti virus).

Calm

Prometheus

Electoral Member
Jul 12, 2003
Eastern USA
I agree with Calm. Some third party security softwares, such as Norton's, have recognized this problem and the latest versions have a dialog suggesting you turn off the security features included in SP2. This seems to be where most conflicts stem from. I have SP2 and use Norton as well, but have all of the internet security features that came with XP disabled. I have no conflicts with this setup.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I hope I explained properly. After SP2 installation, I put up all my Norton Security again.
Both Internet Security and Anti-Virus are running with SP2 installed.

At the time my puter crashed, I had over 140 programs installed. I had more than 60 Dreamweaver extensions installed. I had about 150 Adobe plug-ins installed.

God! I sure hated having that crash!

Calm

Prometheus

Electoral Member
Jul 12, 2003
Eastern USA
so do you still have the SP2 security features enabled, or just the Norton's running now? I did what you did as well, disabling during SP2 installation. But there still was a conflict until after i disabled the SP2 security features, allowing Norton to be the exclusive security/firewall protection.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I have nothing disabled.

As an example .... if I were to try and open an .scr file .... I get a Microsoft Firewall alert.... and the messages of doom and gloom.

Plus... I got my Norton Internet Security and Virus running.

Under normal conditions, I would advise people to first install Windows/SP2 and then install Norton stuff .... thus no conflict.
But, this person already had the puter running and I did not want to suggest a new Operating System installation at this point.

Following these steps makes the upgrade take longer, but will
greatly reduce the likelihood that you'll run into trouble
with SP2.

Seven Steps To A Smooth Service Pack 2 Installation

The best way to avoid problems is to be slow and methodical
BEFORE you install SP2. Proceed through this checklist with
all the care of an archaeologist unearthing a skeleton.

STEP 1: Check your hard drive for free space.

You need at least 500 megabytes of free space, or SP2 won't
even install. (For the speediest installation, defragment
your hard drive first, if you know what that means.)

STEP 2: Remove spyware.

Spyware (software that you don't realize you have because it
piggybacked on something else you downloaded, like Kazaa) can
gum up the works of an SP2 installation. Scan your hard drive
using a free program like Ad-Aware (www.lavasoftusa.com) or
Spybot Search & Destroy (www.safer-networking.org) to make
sure your PC is free of these programs.

STEP 3: Uninstall your virus and firewall programs.

Installing Service Pack 2 on top of outdated utilities can
produce two different unpleasant side effects. First, the new
Security Center doesn't recognize older versions of these
programs. Second, your PC might not even be able to start up
after the installation -- which is, you have to admit,
something of a drawback. (Later, after the installation, put
your virus and firewall programs back -- updated versions, if
possible -- one at a time.)

STEP 4: Visit the Web page of your PC manufacturer.

Search for information regarding SP2. It may turn out that
your PC won't work with Service Pack 2 unless you first
update your BIOS (the built-in software that controls your
keyboard, screen, disk drives, communications, and so on). In
that case, you would find, at www.dell.com or www.gateway.com
(for example), a BIOS updater program that you're supposed to
download and run.

STEP 5: Back up your stuff.

If you can back up your entire hard drive, do so; but at the
very least, make safety copies of your photos, email, music,
documents, and so on. Think of it this way: Your PC is going
in for brain surgery.

STEP 6: Visit the Windows Update Web site.

A preliminary visit to www.windowsupdate.com is an important
prerequisite. This Web site will actually interactively
inspect your PC to see what condition your copy of Windows is
in. If you're missing pieces, they'll be filled in for you --
an important step before the big Service Pack 2 installation.

Click the Express Install link to begin. After a moment of
computation, you'll see a list of updates that Microsoft
thinks you need, under the heading High Priority Updates.
Installing them now will ensure that, when Service Pack 2
comes along, your copy of Windows will be everything the
installer expects.

STEP 7: Log off everyone but yourself.

In other words, if you have Fast User Switching turned on,
make sure all the other accounts have been signed off.
You should now be ready to install SP2 successfully, whether
from the Windows Update Web page, a CD that you've ordered,
or from the Automatic Updates dialog box that appears on your
screen one day.

If your PC is your life -- or your job, at least -- you may
want to take one additional, advanced step: Install a
SECOND copy of Windows XP. This arrangement, known
by geeks as dual-booting, takes some technical expertise.
But it means that you can install SP2 on the duplicate
copy of Windows to test your most essential programs.
That way, you'll know about any potential crises
before committing your "real" copy of Windows to SP2.

Read More Here:
http://www.pair-annoyed.com:9090/newz/showthread.php?t=4122

Calm

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Help!! Service Pack 2 Problem

Prometheus said:
so do you still have the SP2 security features enabled, or just the Norton's running now? I did what you did as well, disabling during SP2 installation. But there still was a conflict until after i disabled the SP2 security features, allowing Norton to be the exclusive security/firewall protection.

I'm working on disabling SP2 features. When I try to disable the firewall, I get a weird message ... firewall ICS is not running. When I try to get it to run, it says it cannot start the firewall ICS service.

I think I will uninstall my Norton then re-install it.

I seem to have no problem getting onto the internet, it just won't let me use Outlook without disabling Norton.

I'm also getting an "Attention" signal under "Norton Antivirus" in the Norton program, but when I check status, it says everything is ok.

AaAAckkkk!!! I hate this stuff. I used to understand a lot of it back in the old DOS/Windows 95 days, but times they are a'changing!

Calm, I wish I would have asked you about this first!!! If I had uninstalled Norton prior to installing SP2, I'm sure I would have had no problems. I'll try it now and see.

I just bought this Dell about 3 months ago, but am already running an outdated Norton -- Internet Security 2004. I should probably spring for the update since I do spend a lot of time online.

I'm a graphic designer, although I haven't been doing any work for a while, so I do use my computer for work. I have plenty of harddrive space and a gig of ram so I'm sure there is no problem in that area.

I shall put on another pot of coffee, log off and give it a try. If you folks don't hear from me again you'll know I blew the damn thing up with a stick of TNT!!!

Thanks!!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Help!! Service Pack 2

Sheesh ... don't think the problem was with SP2 at all. I removed it and discovered I was having exactly the same problems accessing Outlook as before.

I think I had too many "program rules" in my Norton. I'm too paranoid to re-install SP2. Do any of you pros think it's absolutely necessary to have SP2? I'm running Windows XP, version 2002, SP1.

And thanks for all the help. :)

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Cosmos

First thing yuh gotta do is Relax!

You really should install the SP2 trip.
The reason it is available is because Microsoft is full of security holes. They were gonna be sued. So, to protect their ass, they incorporated a firewall and virus scanner into Windows.

It takes Microsoft 9 or 12 months to fix a hole once it has been reported to them. You should always have your auto-update working.

As I recall, I believe you are given a choice during the SP2 installation as to whether or not yuh wanna install their firewall and virus scanner. You could just say no, if you feared more hassles.

Calm

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Hey Calm ... Relax???? Not likely when it comes to my computer being possessed. Makes me batshit. :)

Ok, I will re-install SP2 and try to do it less the firewall. I now suspect the problem is actually with Norton but I haven't had the patience to figure it out yet. Maybe tomorrow. *sigh*

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Well, the Dell is back in action, minus all the software I have yet to re-install. Grrrr. Spent hours on the phone with tech support today and ended up having to do a clean install. Lost everything I had. Of course I hadn't yet bothered to back anything up. *sigh*

After I installed XP, all the upgrades including SP2 then Norton, I am having no problems. I guess you just don't put SP2 over Norton if you are prone to nervous breakdowns. :)

Thanks for all your help, folks ... you're terrific!!

SH311092

Mar 15, 2005
Singapore
Hi,
I am having a similar problem like this...
After installing the AntiSpyware the XP Firewall has been disable. When try to turn on the XP firewall got an error message "ICS service could not be started" When reboot the computer got another error message "Could not run DLL program~1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll. I have uninstall the AntiSpyware software but not hepled.
Please help to slove this problem step by step.
My current system :
Pentium 4 - 2.4GB
OS - XP Home SP2
Norton Anti Virus 2004.

Thanks.... waiting for a early reply

Dono

dan_c22

Mar 2, 2005
Ajax ON

The error message you are receiving is in regards to New.Net spyware which is commonly bundled with Kazaa. I would suggest going to c:\Program Files\ and look for a folder called "New.Net" or something similar, then delete it. Also, go to start-run - "msconfig". Click on the startup tab and look for new.net and uncheck it if listed. That should get rid of that error. I would also suggest installing Ad-Aware and Spybot.

CrEsPo

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2005
Canada
www.inter.it

New.Net eh? Don't just go off deleting the folder just yet. First run Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D to remove as much junk as possible. Once that is done do a HijackThis scan and remove anything you feel fit (either analyze the scan yourself or post the results). Once all that is done, if the folder is still there remove it.