Buying a Printer

snooker

Electoral Member
May 16, 2004
canada big apple
I think the best way to find a printer is first check to see how much the ink costs ... I usually look for the cheaps ink and match the printer up to it ... Really thats where the money is going to end up going ( INK )

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
So you'd buy a very cheap printer then from some no-named company, thats not a very good suggestion for buying a printer. Most Ink costs pretty much the same now adays.. if you just want to save $2 on the Ink then you're probably going to get a crappy printer like an omniprint lol

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
Remember if you do a lot of text as Tony Soprano says fugged about it. Don't waste your money on inkjet!

The cost of black ink even refills would cost you more than getting a new laser cartridge. Think about it if a laser cartridge can to lets say 5000 pages and it costs $100. If an inkjet were to do a 5000 page print it would cost you a lot more money even if refils were $20 for black.

BTW. For text use the lowest settings I mean anything above draft is a waste of ink.

I love my Brother HL-1435 laser printer and watch out maybe I'll do a review on it afterall :D

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I bought a Panasonic 7100 series about a year ago and came with a cartridge. I print as much as 8000-12000 pages a year. It is still printing and i bought a replacement cartrifge for 89.00. Not too bad for a year printing. Get a quality printer from a good name company and never use refills. They will damage the drum. This is my 2 cents opinion.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
I agree with moghrabi, my little inkjet goes through a few thousand pages before I need to purchase a new ink cartridge and the cartridges are only $35.00. I roughly get 3000 pages.

So - Laser - 5000 pages $100 toner...
InkJet (in my case) - 3000 pages $35 cartridge.

It's really a no-brainer with the printer I have.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
You can print way more then 5000 pages if you print low quality for daily things such as emails and so on. I only use HQ for business letters which is not too often. So to save more on the toner set your printer to print normal instead of HQ unless you need it.

gnuman

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2002
Montreal, Quebec
Well I was giving an example of a laser toner cartridge price. But the Brother regular cartridge is like $60 unless you want the high "volume' one which I think is $90.

I'd still wouldn't print with normal quality unless there's something like an image with small writing ofcourse.

But an inkjet printing a few thousand pages is quite interesting.... Unless you got those better quality ones.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Inkjets really are crap.. I've been through a few Canon bubblejet printers. I'm not going to go more into that, but lets just say there's tons of problems with them.

-The ink dries up
-The printhead clogs up
-It gets dirty
-The ink smudges after you print
-The clarity is not great