DSL and XP trouble...HELP!

Bung

Apr 10, 2003
I'm running XP on my system and everything was fine connecting my DSL...until now. All of a sudden, most times, I can't connect. All wires are connected and my Ethernet card seems okay. It appears as though my computer is not communicating with the modem (Alcatel external ethernet). The outside connection is there, as I can tell by looking at the modem, but nothing happens when I try to connect and then it errors. I reboot and nothing. I come back and suddenly I can connect, but the problem seems to be happening more often. Again there is no problem with the outside line. The computer and modem are not communicating. I've shut down the modem for a while and tried going back to the default setting...nothing. The next thing I'm going to try is reinstalling my card and creating a new connection, after terminating the old one. Has anyone experienced this, or have a suggestion?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Check to see hardware is not conflicting.. I know I had a problem with windows 98 where I could not connect when I was using my mouse! Disconnect my mouse and it would work, strange stuff..

ZeroForce

Feb 7, 2003
You may also want to check that XP, in all it's wisdom, has not re-activated the damn finbuilt firewall on that connection.

Moreover it could be something odd like your browser, or something of the sort, perhaps try going to command prompt and pinging something external from there.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Did you try to unplug the telephone line from both the wall jack and the modem. Then unplug the modem from power. then go back in reverse. It could be the filters on the phone line. I had this happen before.