Pros and Cons of each?

canada

Jun 10, 2002
What are the pros and cons of Cable vs DSL. Im looking to make a choice, I have 5 DSL providers here and Shaw doing cable. What are the pros and cons of each service?

Bob Carrick

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2002
You may have more options then 5, http:/www.canadianisp.com to compare other options.

Anyway as for the pros and cons. Well the con of cable is that it's a shared network in your neighborhood so the more neighboors on the slower your connection. This is a major con for cable. It causes terrible problems for some cable users.

DSL the only Con is distance, if you live to far from your CO then look out your connection will suck. But if you live close then no worrying about neighboors being on, it's all you to your ISP.

Then of course either one depends on the state of your ISPs network.

I would always recommend DSL over Cable.

Aug 18, 2002
In an Icy Igloo
Bob Carrick said:
You may have more options then 5, http:/www.canadianisp.com to compare other options.

Anyway as for the pros and cons. Well the con of cable is that it's a shared network in your neighborhood so the more neighboors on the slower your connection. This is a major con for cable. It causes terrible problems for some cable users.

DSL the only Con is distance, if you live to far from your CO then look out your connection will suck. But if you live close then no worrying about neighboors being on, it's all you to your ISP.

Then of course either one depends on the state of your ISPs network.

I would always recommend DSL over Cable.

Actually Bob... Both services are shared speed. You just have to look beyond WHERE it gets shared. Cable is shared within your area, then it goes to the main offices. As for DSL, it is a direct link to the main pipe where everything is then shared. From this one would deduct that both services "share" speed regardless of what either says.

This is true and to the point, there are DSL abusers that slow everyone else down in the same fashion that happens with Cable users, the DSL abusers however effect a substantially larger number of clients from their abuse as its getting abused at the point where everything becomes shared.

Either way, they are both shared services. I've personally gotten much better technical support and speed through my cable provider than thru my previous 6 DSL providers.

I'd recommend going with Cable, but its your call what you want to do canada.

Bob Carrick

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2002
You must have missed this "Then of course either one depends on the state of your ISPs network. " Every single connection to the internet is shared at some point. The Pipe DSL users share, is very large (depending on your ISP), and is no different then any other pipe shared, ie: Dial-up, cable (Shared at a further spot after your local neighborhood sharing), wireless etc, etc. so my point still stands.

Bob Carrick

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2002
Well I've got a 3 meg per second DSl conenction and alot of cable is no longer faster then that.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
DSL is very good service. 3 meg adsl is even better. However, I would like to mention that not always is it better than cable as Bob says.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Your download speed : 4003815 bps, or 4003 kbps.
A 488.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 654164 bps, or 654 kbps.

Not too bad, pitty should've asked me the other day was getting well over 5000kbps on the test too :(

frubsen

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2002
Shmad said:

Not too bad, pitty should've asked me the other day was getting well over 5000kbps on the test too :(

I hate you :D

Chappy

Jun 22, 2002
Waterloo
Shmad said:

Do a Speakeasy test and post the graph.

Bob Carrick

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2002
My upload is just a nit faster then yours but your download is 1000 kbps faster then mine. Nice!

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
I must say, cable and xdsl are truly competetive between each other. In some areas cable is just better. Others, dsl wins.

Its all about network conditions and the corporate giants. And when Rogers and Sympatico co-ordinate their moves together.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Well if your with rogers forget about speeds, their networks have to be some of the crappiest and poorly designed I've ever seen. In areas where you have the choice between Rogers or going to some DSL provider, go dsl. I dont know of very many people getting smoking speeds on Rogers, there are a few areas that are getting nice speeds, but for the most part Rogers sucks @$$.

Im thankful Shaw bought out what they had in this area a few years ago and spent ungodly amounts of money re-doing all the networks here. I get awesome picture quality and blazing speeds. From a users point of view I couldnt ask for more, from an employees point of view, it makes me proud. :)

Aug 18, 2002
In an Icy Igloo
I moved from a region that had shaw to a region that was serviced by rogers, after one month I left rogers and went to DSL.

Shmad, you hit the nail right on the head with what you said. If you have the choice between rogers and DSL go with DSL.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Cable (and any other service) is only good if the company who runs it maintains it. Rogers does a pretty crappy job at maintaining it, as does telus. They both seem to like to fill things up to above maximum capacities then just tell people they are working on upgrading the system and maybe a year or two later they will upgrade something so its fine for another 3 months or so.

Theres a lot of other Cable/DSL providers that always have ley-way for at least a number of months or years of expandability and when they start getting remotely close to that they upgrade their networks again. This is what ensures good quality service.

Rogers though has a semi-valid excuse, they are burning out and doing it fast, they've made a number of bad investments (as has telus) which have made these upgrades as well as other wireless upgrades near impossible for them to complete. I'd look for both these companies to start liquidating some assests in the months to come.