Yahoo says hackers stole information from over 1 billion accounts

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
And that is exactly why I have never done a financial transaction of any sort on my computer.

Just endless hacks from all companies........

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
ooops
the NSA is so busy counting every word I write or say, that they can't catch no hackers
lol
but the russians did it

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I'm impressed that this hack happened in 2013.

I wonder if they knew this all along and wanted to keep it quiet or if, for whatever reason, it took them 3 years to realize this happened.......

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
More hacks announced, likely many, many more unannounced.

I got another notice from Yahoo mail that they had another hack.

This weekend I got 2 messages announcing that their sites have been hacked and to change my passwords. One is from change.org and the other Petro Canada.

Here's the Yahoo info which again causes me to never enter personal info from this computer.......

Law enforcement provided Yahoo in November 2016 with data files that a third party claimed was Yahoo user data. We analyzed this data with the assistance of outside forensic experts and found that it appears to be Yahoo user data. Based on further analysis of this data by the forensic experts, we believe an unauthorized third party, in August 2013, stole data associated with a broader set of user accounts, including yours. We have not been able to identify the intrusion associated with this theft. We believe this incident is likely distinct from the incident we disclosed on September 22, 2016.

The stolen user account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. Not all of these data elements may have been present for your account. The investigation indicates that the stolen information did not include passwords in clear text, payment card data, or bank account information. Payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system we believe was affected.

Sincerely,

Bob Lord
Chief Information Security Officer
Yahoo

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
while the NSA is reading your emails and looking at your children through their webcams

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well the NSA can do that but at least they won't have my financial data or pose as me to get a passport from some far flung country to come over here or my SIN number to work here......

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Russian Agents Behind Yahoo Breach, U.S. Says

Russian Agents Behind Yahoo Breach, U.S. Says

Federal prosecutors announced charges against four men, including two Russian intelligence agents, on Wednesday for their roles in a conspiracy that led to the 2014 theft of 500 million Yahoo accounts, one of the largest known data breaches.

The four men together face 47 criminal charges, including conspiracy, computer fraud, economic espionage, theft of trade secrets and aggravated identity theft, the Justice Department said in a news release.

The two agents of Russia’s Federal Security Service, known as the F.S.B., who were charged are Dmitry Aleksandrovich Dokuchaev, 33, a Russian national and resident, and Igor Anatolyevich Sushchin, 43, a Russian national and resident. The other two defendants are Alexsey Alexseyevich Belan, 29, a Russian national and resident; and Karim Baratov, 22, a Canadian and Kazakh national and a resident of Canada.

“The criminal conduct at issue, carried out and otherwise facilitated by officers from an FSB unit that serves as the FBI’s point of contact in Moscow on cybercrime matters, is beyond the pale,” the acting assistant attorney general, Mary B. McCord, said in a statement.

Yahoo disclosed the theft of the data last September and said it was working with law enforcement authorities to trace the perpetrators. The hackers were able to use the stolen information, which included personal data as well as encrypted passwords, to create a tool that let them access 32 million accounts.

Yahoo has said for months that it believed that hackers sponsored by a foreign state were behind the attack but it had refused to provide details of what occurred because the federal inquiry was ongoing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/...ictment.html?referer=https://news.google.com/

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Re: Russian Agents Behind Yahoo Breach, U.S. Says

right vault 7
the cia

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Re: Russian Agents Behind Yahoo Breach, U.S. Says

crack is a wonderful drug...^

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: Canadian Behind Yahoo Breach, U.S. Says

There must be an investigation of Canada meddling in the US Presidential Elections.