Low-income Cdns skimping on food to pay for Internet


spaminator
#1
Low-income Cdns skimping on food to pay for Internet: ACORN Canada
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 03:44 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 03:49 PM EST
TORONTO -- Advocacy group ACORN Canada says some low-income Canadians are having to take money from their rent and food budgets to pay for the Internet.
The group, which represents low- and moderate-income families, surveyed nearly 400 of its members and found more than 80 per cent of them consider home Internet prices to be "extremely high."
More than half said they took money from other budget items, like food, rent or recreation, to pay for Internet access because they consider it an essential service. In most cases, money was shifted food purchases to cover Internet bills.
ACORN says the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission should work with business to provide high-speed Internet service for $10 a month to families below Canada's low-income measure.
It also wants the Canadian government to create a program to subsidize computers for low-income earners.
In 2013, 13.5% of Canada's population, or 4.6 million people, qualified under the low-income measure, according to Statistics Canada. That year, the LIM threshold for a family of four was $41,866 after taxes.
Low-income Cdns skimping on food to pay for Internet: ACORN Canada | News | Tech
 
Curious Cdn
#2
I don't doubt that a lot of poor people blow their meager cheques on cell phone time, too. It's ridiculously overpriced but everyone seems to have one.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Feb 3rd, 2016 at 05:42 AM..
 
Locutus
#3
pony should give us dem obama phones.

 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#4
I think dial up is still available and reasonably cheap. There are also cheaper providers advertised on the subway. Perhaps not as reliable but you get what you pay for. You could also use your employers internet.

Suck it up buttercup.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I think dial up is still available and reasonably cheap. There are also cheaper providers advertised on the subway. Perhaps not as reliable but you get what you pay for. You could also use your employers internet.

Suck it up buttercup.

Just think of opening up a Blackleaf thread on dial-up............
 
Walter
+3
#6
Too effin bad, we all have our priorities.
 
JLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I think dial up is still available and reasonably cheap. There are also cheaper providers advertised on the subway. Perhaps not as reliable but you get what you pay for. You could also use your employers internet.

Suck it up buttercup.


I had dial up for a couple of years and would Never go back to it. It's a pain in the A$$ if you are waiting for a phone call, unless you decide it's worth paying for another phone line. It's just clunky all around! I don't think a sane person would trade off a healthy diet for internet!
 
MHz
#8
What be this food stuff, it is not mentioned in any of the 23 browser windows I have open.
 
DaSleeper
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

pony should give us dem obama phones.

How about a Justin phone??

 
bill barilko
#10
It's all true-just yesterday I bought the daily special @ my favourite sushi bar instead of my usual Gorgeous Chirashi Don which was $3 more.
 
Twila
#11
we all have to make choices.
 
bill barilko
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

we all have to make choices.

Today it might be soup!

Just maybe!
 
EagleSmack
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

I don't doubt that a lot of poor people blow their meager cheques on cell phone time, too. It's ridiculously overpriced but everyone seems to have one.

Canada doesn't give those out yet? The US does with free data packages too.
 
eh1eh
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I think dial up is still available and reasonably cheap. There are also cheaper providers advertised on the subway. Perhaps not as reliable but you get what you pay for. You could also use your employers internet.

Suck it up buttercup.

Thank you Donald Trump.



Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Just think of opening up a Blackleaf thread on dial-up............

Just try opening anything on dial up. I dare you.



Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Too effin bad, we all have our priorities.


Indeed...
 
DaSleeper
+1
#15
One of the slowest pages to load is the weather network....until the weather radar loads up...
Toronto, Ontario 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network (external - login to view)
That and a Blackie post.....

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

How about a Justin phone??

I wouldn't be surprised if TBone has one of those...
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Thank you Donald Trump.

Or a library. Internet is not a need.
 
eh1eh
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Or a library. Internet is not a need.

It's achieved the same 'need' factor a telephone had 30 years ago.
So not a necessity of life but...

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

One of the slowest pages to load is the weather network....until the weather radar loads up...
Toronto, Ontario 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network (external - login to view)
That and a Blackie post.....


I wouldn't be surprised if TBone has one of those...

This loads better. Optimized for mobile.

Oshawa, ON - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada (external - login to view)
 
DaSleeper
#18
A phone is not just a phone these days ,. I use mine as an appointment reminder, to balance my checkbook, etc...etc..
I rarely make more than half a dozen phone calls in a week
The unlimited plan we have is really to benefit my wife ....
 
Curious Cdn
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Canada doesn't give those out yet? The US does with free data packages too.

We pay more for our phone time than just about anyone else on earth. The providers are largely evil and avaricious and they don't give anything away to anyone, ever. In short, we are a nation of suckers.
 
JLM
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

A phone is not just a phone these days ,. I use mine as an appointment reminder, to balance my checkbook, etc...etc..
I rarely make more than half a dozen phone calls in a week
The unlimited plan we have is really to benefit my wife ....


Do you still write cheques? I can count the # on one hand that I write in a year! I mainly do direct debits or on line transfers from my L.O.C. and I pay cash a lot. I might spend 10 minutes a week on the phone, the wife makes up for what I don't do.
 
Curious Cdn
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Do you still write cheques? I can count the # on one hand that I write in a year! I mainly do direct debits or on line transfers from my L.O.C. and I pay cash a lot. I might spend 10 minutes a week on the phone, the wife makes up for what I don't do.

Precisely my circumstance. My wife is a Luddite who still has postage stamps, writes cheques and likes to get her paper bank book updated by a real human teller and talks to her sister in London England in one and one half hour increments, only.

Ever bought a communications satellite?
 
JLM
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Precisely my circumstance. My wife is a Luddite who still has postage stamps, writes cheques and likes to get her paper bank book updated by a real human teller and talks to her sister in London England in one and one half hour increments, only.


Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, she'd be old school!
 
EagleSmack
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

We pay more for our phone time than just about anyone else on earth. The providers are largely evil and avaricious and they don't give anything away to anyone, ever. In short, we are a nation of suckers.


Someone has to pay for all the free phones, free talk and text, and free data we give out down here.
 
DaSleeper
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Do you still write cheques? I can count the # on one hand that I write in a year! I mainly do direct debits or on line transfers from my L.O.C. and I pay cash a lot. I might spend 10 minutes a week on the phone, the wife makes up for what I don't do.

Balancing your checkbook is just a term meaning to tally your income and expenses even with debit so you always know your bank balance...
IPhones have a nice app called "accounts"
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/acco...494333145?mt=8 (external - login to view)
I use it for every purchase I make.
 

Similar Threads

0
Annual global income spent on food
by Locutus | Aug 4th, 2014
no new posts