Windows 8.1

DaSleeper
I managed to put windows 7 on my old XP box in the basement without having to register it, don't ask me how, its a mystery to me lol...
But it would need extra memory to speed it up for my wife to play her games when she does the washing and ironing.

So I was thinking of putting this old notebook down in the laundry room and buying a new one...
Question? How is the transition to 8.1 .....smooth or what?

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I managed to put windows 7 on my old XP box in the basement without having to register it, don't ask me how, its a mystery to me lol...
But it would need extra memory to speed it up for my wife to play her games when she does the washing and ironing.

So I was thinking of putting this old notebook down in the laundry room and buying a new one...
Question? How is the transition to 8.1 .....smooth or what?

I prefer win 7 - have both- win 7 on the laptop- win8.1 on the desktop. To much useless **** with 8.1 for me.

SLM
+1
I bought a small laptop recently, in case I want to do some work on the side, and it came with 8. I was not a happy camper until I deciphered (okay, okay, one of the kids did it) how to change to a regular windows screen, lol. Now I don't feel so lost. But I haven't done much on it yet, just downloaded anti-virus and (thank you Bear) set up additional Users.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I prefer win 7 - have both- win 7 on the laptop- win8.1 on the desktop. To much useless **** with 8.1 for me.

Can you set it up with the classic look so it doesn't have al those apps floating about? on the screen?

SLM
+1

Can you set it up with the classic look so it doesn't have al those apps floating about? on the screen?

Yes. One of the tiles will open up a windows screen with a taskbar at the bottom, you can put shortcuts on the desktop to programs, everything but a start button. If you take the mouse down to where the start button would be, it's the tiles.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Yes. One of the tiles will open up a windows screen with a taskbar at the bottom, you can put shortcuts on the desktop to programs, everything but a start button. If you take the mouse down to where the start button would be, it's the tiles.

Next question......In classic mode, when you click on start>username, do you have a folder named favorites?
That is what I do when I get a new PC, the worst thing is transferring your bookmarks, and if you go at the folder level even hidden folders it's easy.
And when you check the ones in the store, until they have been personalized, that folder doesn't exist. Each user has his own set of bookmarks or "Favorites"

I'm headed south to Mississauga tomorrow for about a week, and I will be looking for a good sale on Notebooks

SLM
+1

Next question......In classic mode, when you click on start>username, do you have a folder named favorites?
That is what I do when I get a new PC, the worst thing is transferring your bookmarks, and if you go at the folder level even hidden folders it's easy.
And when you check the ones in the store, until they have been personalized, that folder doesn't exist. Each user has his own set of bookmarks or "Favorites"

There is no start to click....anywhere, lol. That's the hardest thing to wrap your head around.

I've been on the browser (IE) in both "modes"...in the classic mode, the browser resembles what you see in Windows 7, so you can favorite and bookmark. I would assume there must be a way to transfer your bookmarks. Maybe Bear can answer this one as I had no favorites to transfer.

DaSleeper
Try typing "favorites" in your search box....then open folder location

SLM
+1
I found this on YouTube

How to Import Bookmarks to Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 81 - YouTube

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I found this on YouTube

How to Import Bookmarks to Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 81 - YouTube

That's the way I import my contacts at the email level, just because I haven't found a way to copy and past a complete folder lol

Edit: I just found how to do it at the folder level on windows seven

MHz
Even with a laptop I would be tempted to have ine of these devices next to it as it can do all the tricks that come with that upgrade.
Buy Logitech Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad T650 - Microsoft Store Online (external - login to view)

Goober

Not sure, I just deleted /backed up up all I need it for, and reinstalled from basic. Kept it clear of UFI. I prefer it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

That's the way I import my contacts at the email level, just because I haven't found a way to copy and past a complete folder lol

Edit: I just found how to do it at the folder level on windows seven

I am surprised you haven't downloaded the Apple extra to sync your Outlook contacts with the iCloud. I manage one set of contacts now and that is the iCloud ones.

MHz
"the Apple extra to sync your Outlook contacts with the iCloud"
Suddenly I feel a bit dizzy.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

"the Apple extra to sync your Outlook contacts with the iCloud"
Suddenly I feel a bit dizzy.

Apple - Support - Downloads (external - login to view)

iCloud for Windows

Praxius
+2
#16  Top Rated Post
The transition from Windows 7 to Windows 8 took me about two days to figure it all out and get comfortable with how it all works. With 8.1, it's a bit more easier for new people to figure out due to them adding that little windows icon in the bottom left where the start button used to be, but in 8, it was still the exact same thing, just there was no icon there to click on and you just moved your mouse to the bottom left and a little window popped up to bring you back to the start screen.

In a nutshell, the best way to wrap your head around 8.1 is that the Start Screen is just the Start Menu covering the whole desktop.

"Classic" mode is just a play on words really, as the "Classic Desktop" is the only desktop there is in the OS and 95% of everything you do in Windows 8.1 is on the Desktop just like when you used XP, Vista, 7, etc.

When you first start up Windows 8, you are presented with the Start Screen.... on that Start Screen there is an icon for "Desktop"

Click on that and you're right back where you left off in previous Windows OS's.

The Start Screen is mostly for any Apps you download from the App Store or XBox Game Store, while all your regular programs operate completely on the Desktop like you're used to, so transition in that regard is pretty quick and easy. You can either pin your programs on the desktop or the taskbar like always, or you can pin them on the Start Screen (which just loads them on the Desktop anyways)

When Windows 8.1 first loads up on your new computer, it will present you with a very quick tutorial on the extra little things it does, like the options/menus on the right side of the screen and toggling through the "Apps" on the left.

If you installed a program or app on your system but there was no icon on the desktop or start screen added, simply go to the start screen and when it is up, simply start typing out the name of the program or app and you will have a quick pop up of that program where you can then add an icon on the Start Screen or Desktop or simply run it.

My wife first didn't like Windows 8 when I first got it and it took her a little longer to figure it out than I, but after about a week she actually liked it more than Windows 7. Her mother also bought a Windows 8.1 laptop. I gave her a crash course on the basics and she has never had an issue with the OS and figured it all out pretty quickly for what she does with her computer.

One difference you will notice with Windows 8.1 compared to Vista or 7 is performance. Windows 8.1 is a lot more optimized than the previous OS's and doesn't use as much resources as Vista/7. After I upgraded my Windows 7 system, I noticed the OS boots withing seconds rather than almost a minute beforehand.... my programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. all load faster and perform a bit better too. My games on Steam also load faster and I was even able to bump some graphical settings up ever so slightly due to more resources freed up.

Anyways, within the next couple of weeks, Microsoft will be launching the developer preview beta of Windows 9 (Threshold) which is basically Windows 8.1 but with some modifications based on customer feedback.

For starters, the Start Screen is switching back to a modified Start Menu which will be a combination of the Start Menus of Christmas Past and the current Start Screen.
Windows 9 'Threshold' Update Leaked in Purported Screenshots, Video | NDTV Gadgets (external - login to view)

Windows 9 Das neue Startmen in Aktion - YouTube

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Apple - Support - Downloads (external - login to view)

iCloud for Windows

I'll stop trying to be humorous.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I am surprised you haven't downloaded the Apple extra to sync your Outlook contacts with the iCloud. I manage one set of contacts now and that is the iCloud ones.

I already have my Iphone contacts and a few other thing from the phone backed up on Icloud and they are basically the same ones from my PC so I guess I'll figure it out...<Thanks everyone>

MHz
If your wife is already playing games why not install the latest Debian OS as it has all the same features and runs on lower end hardware. As far as I know it can even work on a tab but I only have a desktop version. Think of it as a new game that is free compared to and OS system that isn't 'proper' Win 8 will detect that. If you have a win7 box you should have a serial number and when that system is dead that should be able to be installed on another system. The number will be rejected and not work so you use the phone and talk to some tech guy and say the motherboard died and your harddrive is using a different motherboard. They will then authorize that number again. Mine is a standalone product so I can move to another motherboard whenever I want, it still only qualifies me to have one copy running at a time and that is checked out usiong todays technology, warez is dead.

The Debian system could be used for a neighborhood network if the net ever went down. Windows would shut down when updates were no longer available (or the last update fried the software) The neighborhood network is a different program that fits on a cd. The few versions that exist are free.

IdRatherBeSkiing

I already have my Iphone contacts and a few other thing from the phone backed up on Icloud and they are basically the same ones from my PC so I guess I'll figure it out...<Thanks everyone>

I don't sync contacts between Outlook & my iPhone, I do it iPhone --> iCloud. I then sync iCloud --> Outlook with that download.

Praxius
I just log into my Windows 8.1 with my old hotmail account and log into my Windows Phone 8.1 with the same email address and that's that. Whichever I use, my info is all synchronized.

One of the things I like is on my phone I have a remote desktop app that links directly to my PC through WiFi and my screen on my phone turns into the desktop of my PC & I can essentially do anything I want on the PC through my phone..... It basically makes my Lumia 925 into a mini tablet with Windows 8.1 Pro. While I use the mouse and keyboard on the PC, using the remote desktop app on my phone makes full use of Windows 8.1 touchscreen features.

Videos can be a bit choppy and you can't play a game like Skyrim or what have you, but web browsing, music playback, browsing the hard drive, copying files from one computer to the next, etc. All work fine. The only restriction is anything that requires intensive graphical requirements like a FPS or other 3d games.

Screenshot from my phone:

Oh hell, one more:
Last edited by Praxius; Sep 25th, 2014 at 09:59 AM..

MHz
r u inside the baloon or outside?

Praxius
Inside I believe.

shadowshiv
+1
My main problem right now is trying to find ways to get older games to work on 8.1. Games such as Bioshock, Fallout 3, Doom 3.

I do agree with Praxius that it is quite fast, at least compared to XP (that I had on my old PC) and Vista (on a borrowed laptop that crapped out, necessitating the purchase on my new desktop PC). It probably helps that I have an i7 with 8 gigs of RAM (my old PC only had 1 gig of RAM), LOL!

Also, isn't there a way to update to 8.2 (I haven't seen it on the Update page, so I don't know where you'd find it) that would bring the 'Start' button back?

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

isn't there a way to update to 8.2 (I haven't seen it on the Update page, so I don't know where you'd find it) that would bring the 'Start' button back?

the latest version of windows is windows 8.1 update 1. if you want to install update 1, you can install it using the windows update option in windows 8.1.

Praxius
+1
Those games "Should" work with Win8.1

Have you tried the compatibility modes for the games and running as Admin?

MHz
here is something that might work on the old laptop and to get the touchscreen goodies get a wireless keyboard with a touchpad rather than a mouse Ubuntu and Debian, Red Hat is just as big. use the same installers so the newest games can be had for free.
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/#downloads (external - login to view)
Ubuntu PC operating system | Ubuntu (external - login to view)
Ubuntu on phones | Ubuntu (external - login to view)

Praxius
Man I tried to use Linux (Red Hat and Ubuntu) a few years back and quite honestly, they were next to useless on their own, the programs available were limited and while the OS is free and somewhat easy to install, anything beyond that required a lot of internet searching for getting things the way I was familiar with, there was a lot of running around to see if my existing programs would work, finding the drivers for my video card alone was a nightmare and half the things I needed to do to get it all up to par involved coding and crap.

It might be something someone might be really interested in doing in order to save a few bucks in the short term, but for me, it wasn't worth the hassle, I went back to Windows 7 (at the time) which was included with the PC I bought and when Windows 8 came out, Microsoft had the special going for a few months of $40.

Plus with so many Linux OS's out there and so many people saying this version is crap or that version is better, etc.... It's just too much of a hassle.

People complain that Microsoft doesn't seem to know what they are doing, but all those people working on Linux around the world need to stop clouding their own market with so many versions, varieties and design setups..... And focus on at least 2-3 versions.....

Distributions | Linux.com (external - login to view)

^ There are 79 Desktop OS's alone.... Excluding all the other types they have.

That I believe will continue to be Linux's main problem and why it will be difficult for them to ever surpass Mac OS or Windows in the PC market. Free is meaningless when what you expect and what you want to do includes countless hoops and run arounds the average consumer has to deal with.

You have a better chance and easier process in downloading and installing a pirated Windows / MacOS than you do with a legal and free Linux.

MHz
Pirated XP makes a great pic on the desktop but support is running out I just did an install in a dual core that that had win7 and mn was it slow, Ubuntu 10.04 installed everything on the first go and it is 4x as fast using firefox. Once you get to the avaikable software for installation that will take you a long time because the list is so long . If you want the old hacker type of desktop that is even faster as you design it from scratch. Wine is the program that lets you run most windows installers inside Linux. Just in the last while two older boxes with OS from the factory failed the validation test even though it has worked in the past. Install was from a 2gb jump drive created from an i386.iso This 2nd win box (Acer) that failed is getting the 64bit version and then I'll resolve the number issue. (update the 6core desktop to win 8.! as an upgrade and install that retail version to this box of get a keyboard with a touch pad and start learning the new OS methods. These Linux boxes should install touch-screen software as the mouse looks like it is about to be replaced by rat tails on the screens,

JLM
+1
I wish people would quit inventing sh*t, I've been lost ever since the 386 went out of style! -