iMAC Maverick /HELP please read

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
The constant requests to ?update? has proven to be a huge mistake.
I've lost a lot of the goodies like the easy form of spell check and the apps on my dock no longer respond to the quit options and such.

The Pages I purchased has been replaced with a version that is free and it has lost a huge amount of my files, it seems, maybe they are hidden. also i think it is a bit down graded , don't know yet

It's odd but everything that I thought was cool to the look and operation of both my iPhone and iMac since Jobs death has been changed to UGH!

Is there anyone out here that can maybe help me with a few issues, or at least put my mind to ease, or make me angrier. I don't mind lol.

I feel like I am now in an abusive relationship with my apple products.
The apple forums seem to be bias and don't take kindly to my out right knocking the changes, threads have been deleted due to odd rules.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
for sure there are some here who will help you... (not me) but I am certain they will be along shortly

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Thanks for the warning. I have been avoiding Maverick since I upgraded to Mountain Lion. I lost some of my old programs and can't open my old files I created in them. I bought and old G4 Powerbook so I could move my old files and installed my old programs so I could work with Photoshop and Apple Works. Since Jobs died, Apple has been acting more like Microsoft in that way, making you upgrade all your programs because of incompatibility issues. You might want to backup your hard drive and wipe the drive and install Lion or Mountain Lion then replace your files and reinstall your programs.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Thanks for the warning. I have been avoiding Maverick since I upgraded to Mountain Lion. I lost some of my old programs and can't open my old files I created in them. I bought and old G4 Powerbook so I could move my old files and installed my old programs so I could work with Photoshop and Apple Works. Since Jobs died, Apple has been acting more like Microsoft in that way, making you upgrade all your programs because of incompatibility issues. You might want to backup your hard drive and wipe the drive and install Lion or Mountain Lion then replace your files and reinstall your programs.
Well i don;t have a backupdrive yet.

new to this issue is my firefox spell check is no longer funstioning.
see!
I have the right box checked and all but nope it is not working.

they took away my purchased version of pages and replaced it with this shadow of it.

I'm pissed.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
And here I thought new meant progress apparently not I think these people are
finally in over their own heads

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well i don;t have a backupdrive yet.

new to this issue is my firefox spell check is no longer funstioning.
see!
I have the right box checked and all but nope it is not working.

they took away my purchased version of pages and replaced it with this shadow of it.

I'm pissed.

I back up on a portable hard drive.
Lost of room, not expensive. Under 100$ for 1 TB.
https://www.google.ca/#q=best+buy+portable+hardrives

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Only Apples I have are the red kind which are delicious and my iPhone. Sounds like another reason for me to stick with my Windows 7.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm fukced .
No you ain't. Open the Applications folder, scroll to the bottom: Utilities folder. Drag the Disk Utility icon to the dock. Now it iosthere and you don't have to look for it again. Click on it to open. A window pops up, on the right you will see your hard drive and DVD. Click on the hard drive icon. A window on the left will show a button on the bottom left that says "Repair Disk Permissions" Click that and wait for it to run its course. Close the window. You might want to restart you computer before you run Disk Utility. When you hear the boing, hold down the Shift key. This will boot into safe mode. at the same time it defrags your machine and rebuilds the desktop. Most glitches can be solved using this method. Depending on usage, you should do this every month or two to keep it running smooth. Let me know if that works for you.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No you ain't. Open the Applications folder, scroll to the bottom: Utilities folder. Drag the Disk Utility icon to the dock. Now it iosthere and you don't have to look for it again. Click on it to open. A window pops up, on the right you will see your hard drive and DVD. Click on the hard drive icon. A window on the left will show a button on the bottom left that says "Repair Disk Permissions" Click that and wait for it to run its course. Close the window. You might want to restart you computer before you run Disk Utility. When you hear the boing, hold down the Shift key. This will boot into safe mode. at the same time it defrags your machine and rebuilds the desktop. Most glitches can be solved using this method. Depending on usage, you should do this every month or two to keep it running smooth. Let me know if that works for you.
and if we never hear from you again Count...well then we will know it didn't :cool:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
OSX Mavericks works splendidly. Free and worth twice the price!
Which iMac do you have? The model?
How much SDRAM?
Your processor speed?

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
did it now it's got a whole new aspect to launchpad.
Click launchpad and all the icons flicker on and off a few times . Sort of a kalidascope effect ..still no spell check i see . sighs..
it's quite nice to see the kaladascope but it's like my iMac is on acid..the brown acid at that! it does this when i want the nect page of apps..

still low. (edit)i mean slow

and if we never hear from you again Count...well then we will know it didn't :cool:

hellllllooooo can you hear me Sal...*fires off the flar thingy * edit(Flare)

man i'm ticked.
i'm still under warranty and i want those called geniuses to fix this...

I go in to the apple store and look for the one kid that looks like he still doesn't know what sex is like when another person is actualluy invovled and ask him my questions.

oki doke now everyone knows i can't spell worth a shyte!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Apple Care?

Well, the snot-nosed pre-adolescents at the Apple Store will fix it for you. Take a valium, then a taxi.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
hellllllooooo can you hear me Sal...*fires off the flar thingy * edit(Flare)

man i'm ticked.
i'm still under warranty and i want those called geniuses to fix this...

I go in to the apple store and look for the one kid that looks like he still doesn't know what sex is like when another person is actualluy invovled and ask him my questions.

oki doke now everyone knows i can't spell worth a shyte!
responding to flare from the island of unknown origin MacIsland that is....if you are still under warranty...get your azz down there with the machine and make them fix it...I don't know what your age is but I used to research my computer and do everything myself...did it for years...the novelty has completely worn off. I want to turn it on and have it work...period...done. I currently have an HP laptop and it serves me just fine.

I did do something incredibly stupid a few months back... I clicked on something I KNEW I should not... moron... and yeah I downloaded malware...I worked for 4 fuking hours removing the bulk of it. I was so p issed my screen looked red. I couldn't believe I actually did it. But yup, I had.

Finally paid my service provider to remote it and clean the rest of it out.... freaking idiot...a complete blonde moment.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
responding to flare from the island of unknown origin MacIsland that is....if you are still under warranty...get your azz down there with the machine and make them fix it...I don't know what your age is but I used to research my computer and do everything myself...did it for years...the novelty has completely worn off. I want to turn it on and have it work...period...done. I currently have an HP laptop and it serves me just fine.

I did do something incredibly stupid a few months back... I clicked on something I KNEW I should not... moron... and yeah I downloaded malware...I worked for 4 fuking hours removing the bulk of it. I was so p issed my screen looked red. I couldn't believe I actually did it. But yup, I had.

Finally paid my service provider to remote it and clean the rest of it out.... freaking idiot...a complete blonde moment.

your a hoot.. and not that new word Twila uses. lol..

i'm far too old for this crap.

i gotta take er in .

hmmmm tere is a weird thing ..Apple forum geek level 6 guy asked for me to clear console..then do something then copy past the console stuff.

From that he said my computer is in trouble and especially my HP Printer software and to delete it.

things got speedier since.

now lets see seplcheck nope no spell check.

oh well It's a reflection of my old guy body functions..need drugs for stuff that used to pop up with out me even wanting it too.
sigh...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
your a hoot.. and not that new word Twila uses. lol..

i'm far too old for this crap.

i gotta take er in .
yeah take 'er in, have them remote in, just pay out the money $$$$, that's why you made it, to make your life easier...I am too old to be wasting my time trying to figure out what some rotten s hit has set up to make my computer their tool. Drop 'er off, tell 'em to make it all shiny and new like...or you will go postal...(they won't even know what that means)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Ha! See what I've been telling you guys, Cliffy is the Mac Doctor!

Or is that Mad Doctor?
Meh, either way. ;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ha! See what I've been telling you guys, Cliffy is the Mac Doctor!

Or is that Mad Doctor?
Meh, either way. ;)
Mad Mac Man doctor will do. I have been a Mac user for 17 years and was a Mac techy for almost ten years. Retired two years ago but still get called on because there is nobody else in these parts.