Necessity IS the mother of invention......

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I posted elsewhere in the forum that two months ago I purchased some WiFi security cameras, on sale, some DLink DCS 930L........

I soon found out that the Router/modem at one end of the house didn't have enough power to reach the camera if I put it outside in front of the house and programing a repeater on top of programing motion detection and text alerts into the router was a bit much for me, so I just moved the router to a more centralized location.

Now to-day, Da Boss;-) tells me today that she doesn't like the router there,that it interferes with her cleaning....hmmmm.

Back to the drawing board...

Anyone who has played with radios a bit knows that the ground wire can sometimes serve as an antenna....

And every one of those cameras comes with a 4 foot piece of cheaplight 8 pin LAN cable that you use only once to hard wire connect to your router so that it will recognize it afterwards on wifi, then that wire joins all the rest of the useless wires you collect over the years but never throw away.
So I figured that since one of those 8 wires in that cable must be a ground, what if I just plug it in the back of the camera only and see if it will act as an antenna only??

By golly.....it worked......I can even put the camera in the garage, outside the house and I receive a signal from it without having to reconfigure the router or buying more hardware.....:smile:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
New firmware update on them cameras now makes it real easy to set up email alerts for the motion detector option, turn it on or off remotely, without having to go fiddle around the router settings.
Plus now it also supports explorer 11........