Window " 8 "

china
Is window 8 worth downloading ? ( I have w-7 on my pc)

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Can't you get a knock off in China?

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Sticking with 7 here. But then we have a desktop and have no interest in having 40 apps for games and whatnot floating around on a touch screen monitor.

eh1eh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Can't you get a knock off in China?

That is the knock off. "Window 8"

shadowshiv
It certainly has to be better than Vista!

Of course, I enjoy playing older computer games on my PC(such as Commodore 64 emulated games), and ones such as Doom, Planescape Torment, Ultima VII, etc. Since some of the games are so old, I have to use DOSBox to play them. From what I have heard, it will pretty much be impossible to play games like that on Windows 8(at least XP has a Compatibility option so you can play games in Win 95/98 emulation).

And I just realized that this thread is in the "Mobile Phones" sub-forum. I'm going to move it to a more appropriate one.

china
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

It certainly has to be better than Vista!

Of course, I enjoy playing older computer games on my PC(such as Commodore 64 emulated games), and ones such as Doom, Planescape Torment, Ultima VII, etc. Since some of the games are so old, I have to use DOSBox to play them. From what I have heard, it will pretty much be impossible to play games like that on Windows 8(at least XP has a Compatibility option so you can play games in Win 95/98 emulation).

And I just realized that this thread is in the "Mobile Phones" sub-forum. I'm going to move it to a more appropriate one.

Thank you ( the all above ).

Dexter Sinister

Is window 8 worth downloading ?

If Win7 is working fine for you, no, I don't think so. There's another thread about this around here somewhere, lemme just go have a look around....ah, here it is: Window 8

china
Quote:

If Window 7 is working fine for you, no, I don't think so .

I also had a window 95 ,it also worked fine ( for me ).

shadowshiv

I also had a window 95 ,it also worked fine ( for me ).

Yes, but there's no Microsoft support for that OS anymore. XP is the oldest OS still supported. I preferred Win98 over Win95 myself. I noticed that once I went to XP, the "blue screens of death" pretty much ended.

markca

yes, you should upgrade to win 8, its awesome..

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by markcaView Post

yes, you should upgrade to win 8, its awesome..

Windows 8 = Vista.
Wait for the next one unless you have a touch screen PC.

gopher
I have W8 on my sh1tty Tosh1tba that is still in the shop, supposedly getting repaired. Hopefully, I 'll be able to use it better if they get the friggin thing fixed up.

aashutoshbaral

for now its better that you windows7 because windows8 has a load of bugs unfixed..probably windows8.1 might be the best choice if you are really keen in using win8.thanks

gopher
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

I have W8 on my sh1tty Tosh1tba that is still in the shop, supposedly getting repaired. Hopefully, I 'll be able to use it better if they get the friggin thing fixed up.

Well, I got that piece of caca Tosh1tba back from the shop. It's working a little better this time esp since I am no longer using Chrome. But I have to wonder if this crapola will break down any time soon.

Tosh1tba sent me questionnaire asking me whether I am satisfied with their service. Well you know me - I'm not one to hold back and told them how full of sh1t their Pc is.

FiveParadox
I absolutely adore Microsoft« Windows 8. However, I also have a touchscreen-enabled laptop. If you do not have a touchscreen device on which to use Windows 8, a number of the features and aspects of the interface will make a lot less senses for you.

karrie
I just finally got my glitchy internet connection fixed on my Asus touchscreen with Windows 8. Apparently (this is fling awesome), there is some lame *** hidden setting buried deep within the bowels of your internet connection stuff, that allows your computer to disconnect you from wifi to save power. And it's glitchy. So if it's on, it doesn't matter if you're plugged in or anything, your comp is booting you.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I just finally got my glitchy internet connection fixed on my Asus touchscreen with Windows 8. Apparently (this is fling awesome), there is some lame *** hidden setting buried deep within the bowels of your internet connection stuff, that allows your computer to disconnect you from wifi to save power. And it's glitchy. So if it's on, it doesn't matter if you're plugged in or anything, your comp is booting you.

I ALWAYS turn that off.

gopher
The one good thing about the Tosh´tba is that at long last I have finally learned how to use Wi-Fi. I would consider dropping my ISP and save a few bucks by using the free Wi-Fi we have in our building on a full time basis. But with this new sh´tty PC I have no guarantee it'll keep working.

shadowshiv
Apparently Microsoft is starting to figure out that the majority of PC users DON'T want the crap they were peddling as Windows 8. Windows 8.1 is supposed to be pretty much like the desktops that users were used to with XP. A Start button for one thing.

karrie

Apparently Microsoft is starting to figure out that the majority of PC users DON'T want the crap they were peddling as Windows 8. Windows 8.1 is supposed to be pretty much like the desktops that users were used to with XP. A Start button for one thing.

'window' plus 'x' is the 'start button' on 8. A simple workaround, once someone f'ing tells you about it. Which 8 doesn't.

shadowshiv

'window' plus 'x' is the 'start button' on 8. A simple workaround, once someone f'ing tells you about it. Which 8 doesn't.

I don't have Windows 8, so I don't know what it looks like. I just read in an article a little while ago that they are basically retooling it to make it look more like a "classic" desktop. I've got to shake my head at some of Microsoft's decisions.

karrie

I don't have Windows 8, so I don't know what it looks like. I just read in an article a little while ago that they are basically retooling it to make it look more like a "classic" desktop. I've got to shake my head at some of Microsoft's decisions.

Retooling it entirely after we've finally learned it will be a HUGE mistake. Just add a ****ing start button people. Add a bit of user capability. It's not rocket science, the customers are telling them where they screwed it up.

shadowshiv

Retooling it entirely after we've finally learned it will be a HUGE mistake. Just add a ****ing start button people. Add a bit of user capability. It's not rocket science, the customers are telling them where they screwed it up.

It should be an option (perhaps a download choice?), but we both know that Microsoft doesn't tend to be big on giving people options. Of course, it could end up being just like you say, adding the button and fixing it up a tad.

karrie

It should be an option (perhaps a download choice?), but we both know that Microsoft doesn't tend to be big on giving people options. Of course, it could end up being just like you say, adding the button and fixing it up a tad.

Well, I have to say, in their defense, Microsoft gives you more options than any other operating system I've seen. Even for the bungled 8, the 'classic shell' download made most people more than happy. I don't know of any similar patches with other operating systems.

DaSleeper
+2
I hate windows 8.................
Yesterday my dumb sister-in-law...oops, I should say absolutely and completely technically challenged .....My wife is getting frustrated with her because she follows her around on pogo and keeps asking stupid questions...
Anywho she has bought a new laptop (Windows and wants me to set it up....So I take it out of the box and start it and one of the first questions/prompts is the email address so I ask her.....what is it.....answer: I don't know ....you set it up...which I had, but how can I remember an e-mail addy I set up 6 months ago....
So I'm thinking...Going to my PC setting her up with another email, setting up the new PC, all the updates, Java, antivirus, anti spyware etc. etc. I'm looking at a minimum of 3 hrs of work for someone who can't even remember her e-mail address and uses it only to play Pogo and she can't even do that right.
So I ask her...what's wrong with your old one? She says...I don't know...I just went to start it this morning, and it wouldn't start so I called L*** (my wife) and she said you were gone out, so I went to buy myself a new one.....
(She's one of those people that can't wait for anything, when they want it they want it now)
So I take a deep breath before I throw her out and tell her to pack up her laptop and that I will go to her place and check her old one first before I start on the new one..
When I get to her place 5 minutes away (I wish it was 500 miles) I check he old laptop....yup...it won't start...
So I ask her for a table lamp, she asks .....why
When she saw the look on my face...she didn't say anything more and went and got it..
I unplug the laptop and plug the lamp.....no power in the plug...bingo right on the first test.
I plug it somewhere else ....It starts....so I just went home after telling her, you can return the new one now..

I never even got a thank you for saving her 600 bucks

I hate windows 8.....

Or maybe I just hate my sister-in-law

karrie
Yeah, 8 doesn't cure dumb, sorry. lol.

DaSleeper
+2

Yeah, 8 doesn't cure dumb, sorry. lol.

And I thank God every day that I married my wife and not one of her sisters...

gerryh
+2
Gee Das..... that sounds so much like my life...... there must be one in every family, and I also thank God I married my wife and not one of her sisters. lol

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

no power in the plug

I'm surprised she didn't ask you to fix the outlet before you left.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

I'm surprised she didn't ask you to fix the outlet before you left.

Heheh lol I had never had any interaction with her before some months ago, because her husband of 20 some years left her last year, and my wife has been trying to help her along...
But while I don't condone the way he left her, but after these few months of dealing with her, I must say I understand why he left....

no new posts