Global Warming Versus Global Greening

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

The sceptics, with their shoestring budgets, with zero public money, under constant assault, are winning the argument.

I am a passionate champion of science.

I have devoted most of my career to celebrating and chronicling scientific discovery. I think the scientific method is humankind’s greatest achievement, and that there is no higher calling.

So what I am about to say this evening about the state of climate science is not in any sense anti-science. It is anti the distortion and betrayal of science.

I am still in love with science as a philosophy; I greatly admire and like the vast majority of scientists I meet; but I am increasingly disaffected from science as an institution.

The way it handles climate change is a big part of the reason.

After covering global warming debates as a journalist on and off for almost 30 years, with initial credulity, then growing skepticism, I have come to the conclusion that the risk of dangerous global warming, now and in the future, has been greatly exaggerated while the policies enacted to mitigate the risk have done more harm than good, both economically and environmentally, and will continue to do so.

And I am treated as some kind of pariah for coming to this conclusion.

Why do I think the risk from global warming is being exaggerated? For four principal reasons.

1. All environmental predictions of doom always are;
2. the models have been consistently wrong for more than 30 years;
3. the best evidence indicates that climate sensitivity is relatively low;
4. the climate science establishment has a vested interest in alarm.

mo

Matt Ridley: Global Warming Versus Global Greening | The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5M1qtN62yk&feature=youtu.be

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The words "believe" and "science" should not appear in the same sentence

Wanna have some fun?
ask a recent university grad "what does scientific method mean to you?"
and watch them go: "duh...

if you pay grant money for monkeys
you will get monkeys

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If you're a skeptic, then you actually support science, which consequently shows AGW is real.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
We had a consensus the world was flat once.

We shamed and persecuted anyone who didn't agree with the consensus.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It wasn't based on evidence, that's why it was eventually rejected.

There are plenty of evidence the world is flat. When you're not looking at the bigger picture.

There is plenty of evidence the world is getting hotter, But we call it climat change not global warming.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Don't worry. Trump will shut down those Earth imaging librards over at NASA and global warming will go away.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
A consensus has been wrong many times in the past. And it very well may be wrong today

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
If you're a skeptic, then you actually support science, which consequently shows AGW is real.

No, it doesn't. But that's some serious mental gymnastics though. BY the way, advocacy science isn't really science. Only 32% of scientists whose studies involve the climate think humans are the primary driver of climate change. And based on some of what I've been reading, that 32% has shrunk somewhat since the days of the so-called consensus.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Here's the deal. Because everyone needs to inhale beef every day , all the cow farts are making things pretty stanky these days not to mention all the people ripping flutter blasts daily. Peeyew.!