Amateur author seeking help on attacking ozone layer

stratosphere

Oct 25, 2016
Hi, I'm looking for plausible fiction based content regarding environmental destruction. Sort of future UV wars or something.
So here goes.
Would appreciate any ideas or feedback on what I've come up with so far.
Several dissidents build 12ft mirrored parabolic dishes which shine narrow focussed hi-intensity (50,000 watt+, ~285nm) UV beams skyward. Computer controlled, the beams slowly flood the sky 24/7 above the city with a beam intended to convert much of the ozone layer O^3 to O^2, where the skyward beam results in a ~15Watt intensity on the upper stratosphere (O^3), compared to the natural sunlight UV of ~1Watt. Thus overall UV protection is greatly reduced over time, allowing hi-intensity uv radiation to damage all life in the city.

I have just started to study atmospheric physics/chemistry for writing, and don't know whether the above is even slightly realistic and I aim at as near as possible to reality, intangible topics. So if possible, can you guys try to guide me towards more plausible story content than I have so far.

Will be back everyday to check for comments.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hi, I'm looking for plausible fiction based content regarding environmental destruction. Sort of future UV wars or something.
So here goes.
Would appreciate any ideas or feedback on what I've come up with so far.
Several dissidents build 12ft mirrored parabolic dishes which shine narrow focussed hi-intensity (50,000 watt+, ~285nm) UV beams skyward. Computer controlled, the beams slowly flood the sky 24/7 above the city with a beam intended to convert much of the ozone layer O^3 to O^2, where the skyward beam results in a ~15Watt intensity on the upper stratosphere (O^3), compared to the natural sunlight UV of ~1Watt. Thus overall UV protection is greatly reduced over time, allowing hi-intensity uv radiation to damage all life in the city.

I have just started to study atmospheric physics/chemistry for writing, and don't know whether the above is even slightly realistic and I aim at as near as possible to reality, intangible topics. So if possible, can you guys try to guide me towards more plausible story content than I have so far.

Will be back everyday to check for comments.

Wouldn't the weather (a breeze) simply disapate this?

I do the same (on a smaller scale) in reverse with a commercial
Ozonator (converts O2 to O3 using an electric current. Clears an
enclosed space (room, vehicle, etc...) of orors (cigarette stink, cat
urine, Curry, Etc...) and I disapate the ozone by opening a window.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I have this one. It's freak'n awesome!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That is a good one. Mine is a commercial job off a water treatment system. Puts out 1.8gr of O3 per hr.

Pretty intense but nobody is ever going to find the bodies in the basement.

Family of five and their labradoodle.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Girlfriend & I, 3 dogs & two cats, & we both smoke. I hear you.

My toy is easy to carry and can be jammed up onto the dash
of my truck overnight every so often. Cleans up a rental suite
in a day, and ditches the cabbage aroma after cabbage rolls
baking in the sealed up house in the winter.

1.8gr/hr? Wow!!! I think mine's kick-*** but nowhere close to
that league. Trippy.

stratosphere

Oct 25, 2016
Thanks guys. Nice tips about ozonators. Going to check them out on Aliexpress.
Was looking for whether it could be done, plausibly. So think I'll see if I can find a scientist in the field.
Bong on :) I was born in Edmonton. In exile in Australia for yonks.
Again thanks for comments.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Girlfriend & I, 3 dogs & two cats, & we both smoke. I hear you.

My toy is easy to carry and can be jammed up onto the dash
of my truck overnight every so often. Cleans up a rental suite
in a day, and ditches the cabbage aroma after cabbage rolls
baking in the sealed up house in the winter.

1.8gr/hr? Wow!!! I think mine's kick-*** but nowhere close to
that league. Trippy.

I just did a quick look and these are over $300.00

Would that be correct?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC

Not sure if I'm reading your question right, but I've read a couple of novels recently by Paolo Bacigalupi who likes to write about a future gone wrong. His award-winning first novel "The Wind-Up Girl" deals in part with genetic manipulation of food crops, and his latest, "The Water Knife" centers on the water shortage in the southwestern US escalating into open warfare. Well researched and written, both read like a fast-paced mystery.