Tesla Quietly Kills Car Buyback Program

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As Probes Reporter Reveals Undisclosed SEC Investigation

While much of the recent public attention surrounding Tesla has focused on the car's self-driving or "autopilot" feature, which was implicated in the May 7 deadly crash and has resulted in a NHTSA probe as well as a potential SEC inquiry into whether the company misled investors by not reporting the death at the time of Tesla's May equity offering, the real problems facing Tesla is not so much whether its cars are safe but the increasingly evident lack of demand at any price point.

Last month, Tesla cut the base price of its Model S sedan to $66,000; this happens at a time when Tesla has missed its sales targets in the first two quarters this year. Then earlier today, Musk also added a lower-priced version of its Model X crossover. The new Tesla Model X 60D is priced from $74,000, $9,000 less than the Model X 75D. Equipped with a 60kWh battery,

But the real sign that Tesla is concerned about flailing demand for its cars came later in the day, when Tesla said it had discontinued its resale value guarantee program that assured buyers that cars would retain value over time.

As Reuters adds, the discontinuation of the buyback program, as of July 1, shows the company stepping back on a pledge begun in 2013 that Tesla would buy back its cars financed through specified loan partners for a predetermined resale value after three years. The program was intended to help Tesla control its secondary market and assure buyers that cars would retain value.

This means that used Tesla values are dropping faster than the company had expected in its worst case scenario, and as a result it can no longer afford to fill the gap. With this program ending, demand for new vehicles is set to slump even more as concerns about resale prices emerge.

mo

Tesla Quietly Kills Car Buyback Program As Probes Reporter Reveals Undisclosed SEC Investigation | Zero Hedge

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Where are all those whining environmentalist? Plugging your battery car into our Ontario grid that uses the most fossil fuel in North America was going to be the hippest coolest thing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Where are all those whining environmentalist? Plugging your battery car into our Ontario grid that uses the most fossil fuel in North America was going to be the hippest coolest thing.

Not when you have to pay 66k plus for the vehicle.... then it ain't so cool.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I had to attend another gruelingly boring a meeting on Tuesday.

During the down time when the recorder was off printing the minutes a rolly polly female who about started yapping about test driving a Tesla on the weekend. I didn't catch what model it was but she exclaimed on how great the auto pilot was. She said " I was driving on the 401 and I would wave at people with both hands as I passed them and watch their reaction".

I said you should be careful with that system as it appears not to be 100%.

Someone else mentioned that accidents and she seemed dismissive of that. She liked the idea of not buying gas and oil changes.

She then rambled on about family members of a buyer get first option to buy new ones etc..

When I mentioned the lack of privacy issues which are concern to me she looked confused and asked what I meant. When I explained it to her I added, 'at least you will be able to see where your husband has been in case you have doubts'. That caused her to pause and then the recorder showed up and the discussion was over but I bet she's still thinking about where her hubby goes and what she will find out if she tracks him....