20 million mature trees are logged annually for chopsticks

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
20 million mature trees are logged annually for no other purpose other than to provide China alone with disposable chopsticks. That doesn't even take into account the chopsticks used by other countries throughout Asia.

In a report released earlier this year, the head of a major forestry group in China disclosed that the country goes through at least 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks a year. A mature, 20-year-old tree can be whittled down to roughly 4,000 chopsticks.

Every 60 seconds day and night, 38 mature trees are harvested just to produce enough chopsticks for one country.

What's worse is that not all wood comes clean and white; harsh chemicals are used to bleach the wood so that all chopsticks look similar -- another good reason not to nibble on the ends or suck sauce from your chopsticks.

China’s disposable chopstick addiction is destroying its forests - The Washington Post

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
How much oil and pollution going into the manufacture of plastic silverware??

How much toxic chemical and pollution goes into mining aluminum to make your silverware??

It's never ending, eh?? Yet the demand for the products continue to grow as the population of the earth becomes 7,324,782,225 billion.

1950 = 2,525,778,669
1970 = 3,691,172,616
1990 = 5,320,816,667
2015 = 7,324,782,225
2100 = 10,853,848,570

The problem is population, there are way to many for the earth to keep a healthy balance.

Time for Mother Nature to make a course correction and get rid of 5 billion or so.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It is in balance Boomer, 10B Chinese weigh as much as 400M North Americans.. How stupid are we to think lumber isn't the main product of the tree and the chops are the same as wood chips for the pulp industry in NA.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It is in balance Boomer, 10B Chinese weigh as much as 400M North Americans.

LOL Yeah..

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Define 'mature' tree.

You know that is coming direct from Japan and not China, Right?
You know that there are at least fifteen (15) sushi places within a ten (10) minute walk of my house right?

And that I live in Canada?

Did you know that I had Sushi for lunch three (3) times this week alone?

And did you know that BC Sockeye & Albacore are #'s 1 & 2 on people's Sushi plates here?

And that out Rice all comes from California?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It is in balance Boomer, 10B Chinese weigh as much as 400M North Americans.. How stupid are we to think lumber isn't the main product of the tree and the chops are the same as wood chips for the pulp industry in NA.
The pulp industry hasn't used whole trees to make pulp in many years.....they only use what is left over after cutting the building lumber, like 2x4's and 2x6's etc...
I won't bother with a link.....I worked in that industry for close to 40 years.................

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

How much toxic chemical and pollution goes into mining aluminum to make your silverware??

It's never ending, eh?? Yet the demand for the products continue to grow as the population of the earth becomes 7,324,782,225 billion.

Time for Mother Nature to make a course correction and get rid of 5 billion or so.

Plastic utensils, I can't recall the last time I may have used them but I have used them before.

And as for silverware or metal utensils I have only ever bought them once, and it was a long time ago.

The point of the article was the 'disposable' issue which causes the non stop cutting of trees........

China disclosed that the country goes through at least 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks a year

Last edited by a moderator:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

1950 = 2,525,778,669
1970 = 3,691,172,616
1990 = 5,320,816,667
2015 = 7,324,782,225
2100 = 10,853,848,570

The problem is population, there are way to many for the earth to keep a healthy balance.

War has its purpose, Nature is much wiser then a old hippie.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I can appreciate why chopsticks were invented but someone please let these people know about the fork invention.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Glow in the Dark Sushi direct from Fukushima..
Isn't that like supposed to be raw? It's not supposed to heat up cooking oil on it's own now is it? Could be a dead plant worker for all you know.

Define 'mature' tree.

You know that there are at least fifteen (15) sushi places within a ten (10) minute walk of my house right?

And that I live in Canada?

Did you know that I had Sushi for lunch three (3) times this week alone?

And did you know that BC Sockeye & Albacore are #'s 1 & 2 on people's Sushi plates here?

And that out Rice all comes from California?
Actually I did know, I have that parameter built into gOOgle-earth.

I can knock the horns off a steer in about the same.

Alive in Canada, some might question the 'living' part.

I'll bet you do a lot of things alone.

That I did not know. Last time I was on that side of the great divide (sign as rolling down side window @ hyway speed and still feeling warm) it was crab and carp wrapped in bacon. For legal reasons I cannot mention the ton of smoked salmon that magically appeared out of the blue.

That area should become the new California if one theory proves to be correct. South winds would be the first sign of that wile still having abundant rain. That might not be so good for the bottom life as it is animal and not plant.
Can you imagine how many bars there will be along 100 Mile Beach. Warm south wind meets colder water and a vacuum inland over Alberta should create some 'suitable waves' (if not surfing then in a emergency raft in a gale for about $500

I can appreciate why chopsticks were invented but someone please let these people know about the fork invention.
You can stick a chopstick through a persons temple if they are trying to kill you, a fork just pisses them off more. What I would like to see is a more 'natural stick' rather than something that came off a lathe. Lets see Hollywierd try small poplar branches that go off on some weird angles like back in 40,000BC before the metal stamping machine

Pretty much so does bamboo
You mean like inhale the rice? Contest for the longest 'line'?