Climate-Denier Scientist Caught Accepting Bribes from Koch Brothers

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Leading Climate-Denier Harvard Scientist Caught Accepting Bribes from Fossil-Fuel Corporations as well as the Koch Brothers

For years, politicians wanting to block legislation on climate change have bolstered their arguments by pointing to the work of a handful of scientists who claim that greenhouse gases pose little risk to humanity.

One of the names they invoke most often is Wei-Hock Soon, known as Willie, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics who claims that variations in the sun’s energy can largely explain recent global warming. He has often appeared on conservative news programs, testified before Congress and in state capitals, and starred at conferences of people who deny the risks of global warming.

But newly released documents show the extent to which Dr. Soon’s work has been tied to funding he received from corporate interests.

He has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work.
The documents show that Dr. Soon, in correspondence with his corporate funders, described many of his scientific papers as “deliverables” that he completed in exchange for their money. He used the same term to describe testimony he prepared for Congress.

Though Dr. Soon did not respond to questions about the documents, he has long stated that his corporate funding has not influenced his scientific findings.

The documents were obtained by Greenpeace, the environmental group, under the Freedom of Information Act. Greenpeace and an allied group, the Climate Investigations Center, shared them with several news organizations last week.

Environmentalists have long questioned Dr. Soon’s work, and his acceptance of funding from the fossil-fuel industry was previously known. But the full extent of the links was not; the documents show that corporate contributions were tied to specific papers and were not disclosed, as required by modern standards of publishing.

“What it shows is the continuation of a long-term campaign by specific fossil-fuel companies and interests to undermine the scientific consensus on climate change,” said Kert Davies, executive director of the Climate Investigations Center, a group funded by foundations seeking to limit the risks of climate change.

Charles R. Alcock, director of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center, acknowledged on Friday that Dr. Soon had violated the disclosure standards of some journals.

“I think that’s inappropriate behavior,” Dr. Alcock said. “This frankly becomes a personnel matter, which we have to handle with Dr. Soon internally.”

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/u...-climate-change-researcher-Wei-Hock-Soon.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Science had better come up with a new way handle those payoffs or the Lawyers will get more than the cut they already get.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ya, because how DARE scientists expect to get paid for their work. :roll:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
gerr the only one that ever bribes their own employees is the owner of the horse in the race and the bribe is to 'ride to win'.

"But the full extent of the links was not; the documents show that corporate contributions were tied to specific papers and were not disclosed, as required by modern standards of publishing."

equals crook

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
How are climate change deniers any different from the intellectually disabled and why shouldn't they be treated accordingly?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
How are climate change deniers any different from the intellectually disabled and why shouldn't they be treated accordingly?

Thank you, Comrade, for yet again demonstrating why communists can never be permitted power.....as if 100 million dead weren't enough reason.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Thank you, Comrade, for yet again demonstrating why communists can never be permitted power.....as if 100 million dead weren't enough reason.

Your crappy opinion is invalid, way more people have died by the actions capitalists and continue to. There's also nothing inherently dangerous in the communist ideology. I can not say the same for the climate-denying ideal, which has the real possibility to result in our doom.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Your crappy opinion is invalid, way more people have died by the actions capitalists and continue to. There's also nothing inherently dangerous in the communist ideology. I can not say the same for the climate-denying ideal, which has the real possibility to result in our doom.

A somebody once said. Capitalism is man screwing man. Communism is just the reverse.

A pure Marxist model will not hold as somebody will grab the power vacuum. Once they do, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A somebody once said. Capitalism is man screwing man. Communism is just the reverse.

A pure Marxist model will not hold as somebody will grab the power vacuum. Once they do, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Communism is the dream of the too lazy to work and BoreObsessed is that in spades....his idea of work is going to the gym....

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Yup, I'd really be interested in knowing if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

which paper(s) are you talking of? Is there a problem for you? You ask a question... I'd like to help you out. Again, which paper(s) are you keen to have your question pertain to?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Are you against the working class Dasleeper?
I've belonged to the working class from the time I finishe school until I retired and in all that time only collected U.I. only for one week.
How long have you been out of school and Idle?

And I started at the bottom and worked my way up to running a multi million dollar paper machine.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
which paper(s) are you talking of? Is there a problem for you? You ask a question... I'd like to help you out. Again, which paper(s) are you keen to have your question pertain to?

You're stupidity knows no bounds I see. Considering it was Wei-Hock Soon that was named receiving money from the Koch brothers, then it would be his papers.