Northeast Corridor braces for 'potentially historic' snowstorm

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
because warming or whatnot...anyway, get the guest room ready suckas:

The Northeast Corridor was braced Monday for a "potentially historic" blizzard that could pack ferocious winds and dump as much as 3 feet of snow along a 250-mile stretch from northern New Jersey up to southern Maine, affecting as many as 29 million people and potentially crippling New York City and Boston.

The warning issued by the National Weather Service also indicated widespread coastal flooding was possible, starting Monday and extending throughout Tuesday.

"This could be a storm the likes of which we have never seen before," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference Sunday.

At a news conference Sunday afternoon, de Blasio held up a list of the city’s top 10 snowstorms and said this one could land at the top of a list that goes back to 1872 and includes the 26.9 inches that fell in 2006. "Don't underestimate this storm. Prepare for the worst," he said as he urged residents to plan to leave work early Monday.

"Commuters should consider working from home on Monday if possible to avoid disruptions from likely road and public transportation closures," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement. "New York State is taking all necessary precautions to prepare for this storm, and I urge residents to put safety first and plan ahead to protect themselves and others throughout the duration of this snowstorm."

Elsewhere in the region, Boston is expected to get 18 to 24 inches of snow, with up to 3 feet falling west of the city, and Philadelphia could see 14 to 18 inches, the weather service said. NWS lead forecaster Bob Oravec said that wind gusts of 75 mph or more are possible for coastal areas of Massachusetts, with gusts of up to 50 mph further inland.

more

Northeast Corridor braces for 'potentially historic' snowstorm | Fox News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I am in the F*ed area.

Counting down. I think I need to get 30 loaves of bread and 20 gallons of milk.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I am in the F*ed area.

Counting down. I think I need to get 30 loaves of bread and 20 gallons of milk.

Just a little tip from your buddies in the North that have to deal with this eventuality on a frequent basis.

Scrap the milk and get some cream for coffee instead.

Next, call up the local pizza delivery place and get 10 or 12 pizzas (various kinds) delivered... While the pizza guy is in the process of making/delivering, toodle on down to the local beer/liquor store and stock-up on beer and booze (some doritos may be a good idea as well)... A full trunk-load ought to suffice.

The message here is that you can turn this potentially horrible event into a big ole party..... It's that whole 'when life hands you lemons, make lemonade' thingy

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just a little tip from your buddies in the North that have to deal with this eventuality on a frequent basis.

Scrap the milk and get some cream for coffee instead.

Next, call up the local pizza delivery place and get 10 or 12 pizzas (various kinds) delivered... While the pizza guy is in the process of making/delivering, toodle on down to the local beer/liquor store and stock-up on beer and booze (some doritos may be a good idea as well)... A full trunk-load ought to suffice.

The message here is that you can turn this potentially horrible event into a big ole party..... It's that whole 'when life hands you lemons, make lemonade' thingy

Today, I'll skip the pizza and pick up some rib steaks and BBQ while watching what's left of the snow melt.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hmmm... nah. Then I mock everyone else who panicked while enjoying mass quantities of bread, milk, and PB.

Buy toilet paper too. A massive amount, like two carts full, while
bumping your carts into other shoppers. Do it in front of a TV
film crew while looking both serious and slightly panicked.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Is it heading any further north, I'm technically just a hop skip and a jump from there!

Buy toilet paper too. A massive amount, like two carts full, while
bumping your carts into other shoppers. Do it in front of a TV
film crew while looking both serious and slightly panicked.

That was you? OMG, and you didn't give CC members a shout out!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Watching CNN's coverage of the 'historic' storm. NY going into lock-down at 11 PM - no cars on street save for emergency vehicles and the like. Listening to the reporters, one gets the idea they are almost gleeful having such a great story to cover.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Watching CNN's coverage of the 'historic' storm. NY going into lock-down at 11 PM - no cars on street save for emergency vehicles and the like. Listening to the reporters, one gets the idea they are almost gleeful having such a great story to cover.

Nothing brings more glee to a CNN reporter is people's homes and livelyhoods beeing destroyed on camera.