2014 was hottest year recorded on Earth: Experts

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
2014 was hottest year recorded on Earth: Experts
Irene Klotz, Reuters
First posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 12:21 PM EST | Updated: Friday, January 16, 2015 03:22 PM EST
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla., Jan 16 (Reuters) - Last year was Earth's hottest on record in a new sign that people are disrupting the climate by burning fossil fuels that release greenhouse gases to the air, two U.S. government agencies said on Friday.
The White House said the studies, by the U.S. space agency NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, showed a need for action to reduce rising world emissions of greenhouse gases.
The data showed that the 10 warmest years since records began in the 19th century had occurred since 1997. Last year was warmest, ahead of 2010, 2005 and 1998. The records undercut arguments by climate skeptics that global warming has stopped in recent years.
The scientists said the record temperatures were spread around the globe, including most of Europe stretching into northern Africa, the western United States, far eastern Russia into western Alaska, parts of interior South America, parts of eastern and western coastal Australia and elsewhere.
"While the ranking of individual years can be affected by chaotic weather patterns, the long-term trends are attributable to drivers of climate change that right now are dominated by human emissions of greenhouse gases," said Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies in New York.
"The data shows quite clearly that it's the greenhouse gas trends that are responsible for the majority of the trends," he told reporters. Emissions were still rising "so we may anticipate further record highs in the years to come."
U.N. studies show there already are more extremes of heat and rainfall and project more disruptions to food and water supplies and rising sea levels as ice melts from Greenland to Antarctica.
PARIS MEETING IN DECEMBER
In December, about 200 governments will meet in Paris to try to reach a deal to limit global warming, shifting to renewable energies. China and the United States, the top emitters of greenhouse gases, say they are cooperating more to achieve an U.N. accord.
"We can't wait to take action," a White House official said in a statement.
Opponents of the proposed Keystone XL pipeline that would take Canadian crude across the United States said the new data made it all the more pressing to prevent the construction of the pipeline.
But U.S. Senator James Inhofe, the Senate's leading climate change skeptic, said the difference between 2014 and 2010 was so insignificant as to prove there was no need for more stringent EPA regulations.
"Human activity is clearly not the driving cause for global warming, and is not leading our planet to the brink of devastation that many alarmists want us to believe," he said.
In Britain, Energy and Climate Change Secretary Ed Davey also said the records were "yet more evidence that we need to act urgently to prevent dangerous climate change."
The U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says it is at least 95 percent probable that human activities, rather than natural variations in the climate caused by factors such as sunspots, are to blame for rising temperatures.
Rowan Sutton, director of Climate Research at the National Centre for Atmospheric Science at the University of Reading, said a single year did not mean much because it might be a freak hot year.
"But the fact that now 14 of the 15 warmest years on record have occurred since the turn of the century shows just how clear global warming has become," he said.
Even so, temperatures since 1998, a warm year, have not risen as fast as they did in the 1980s or 1990s. The IPCC has described it as a hiatus in warming.
NO EL NINO FACTOR
Since 1880, Earth's average surface temperature has warmed by about 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius), NASA said. The NASA and NOAA analyses showed that the world's oceans all warmed last year, offsetting somewhat more moderate temperatures over land.
The average temperature across global land and ocean surfaces was 1.24 degrees F (0.69 degrees C) above the 20th century average, NOAA said. Last year's warmth surpasses the previous records of 2005 and 2010 by 0.07 degree F (0.04 degree C), the scientists said.
The scientists noted that the record was set in a year that did not have the weather pattern known as El Niño that can heat up the atmosphere and has been a factor in many past record-setting years.
The United Nations says it is already clear that promises for emissions curbs at the Paris summit will be too weak to get on track for a U.N. goal of limiting global warming to 3.6 degrees F (2 degrees C) above pre-industrial times.
2014 was hottest year recorded on Earth: Experts | World | News | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Global Warmists are still trying to fool us, people. Don't listen to a word they say:

Scientists balk at ‘hottest year’ claims: Ignores Satellites showing 18 Year ‘Pause’ – ‘We are arguing over the significance of hundredths of a degree’ – The ‘Pause’ continues

Climate Depot's Marc Morano: 'Claiming 2014 is the 'hottest year' on record based on hundredths of a degree temperature difference is a fancy way of saying the global warming 'pause' is continuing.'

Astrophysicist Dr. Dr David Whitehouse: 'The NASA press release is highly misleading...talk of a record is scientifically and statistically meaningless.'

Climatologist Dr. Roger Pielke Sr.: 'We have found a significant warm bias. Thus, the reported global average surface temperature anomaly is also too warm.'

Climatologist Dr. Judith Curry: 'With 2014 essentially tied with 2005 and 2010 for hottest year, this implies that there has been essentially no trend in warming over the past decade.'

By: Marc Morano - Climate Depot
January 16, 2015 11:48 AM with 1924 comments

The global warming establishment and the media are crowing about 2010 being in a tie for the “hottest year” ever. The UK Guardian headline sums up the media’s promotion:

UK Guardian: ‘Hottest Year’ Claim: 2014 officially the ‘hottest year’ on record US government scientists say - ‘Nasa and Noaa scientists report 2014 was 0.07F (0.04C) higher than previous records…The global average temperatures over land and sea surface for the year was 1.24F (0.69C) above the 20th century average, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) and Nasa reported. The scientists said 2014 was 0.07F (0.04C) higher than the previous records set in 2005 and 2010.’

But scientists and climate skeptics are countering that the claims of “hottest year” are based on immeasurable temperature differences that are based on hundredths of a degree differences.

Climate Depot’s Marc Morano issued this statement: “There are dueling global datasets — surface temperature records and satellite records — and they disagree. The satellites show an 18 year plus global warming ‘standstill and the satellite was set up to be “more accurate” than the surface records. See: Flashback: 1990 NASA Report: ‘Satellite analysis of upper atmosphere is more accurate, & should be adopted as the standard way to monitor temp change.’

Any temperature claim of “hottest year” based on surface data is based on hundredths of a degree hotter than previous “hottest years”. This immeasurable difference is not even within the margin of error of temperature gauges. The claim of the “hottest year” is simply a political statement not based on temperature facts. “Hottest year” claims are based on minute fractions of a degree while ignoring satellite data showing Earth is continuing the 18 plus year ‘pause’ or ‘standstill’. See: The Great Pause lengthens again: Global temperature update: The Pause is now 18 years 3 months (219 months)

Read more: Scientists balk at ‘hottest year’ claims: Ignores Satellites showing 18 Year ‘Pause’ – ‘We are arguing over the significance of hundredths of a degree’ – The ‘Pause’ continues | Climate Depot

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know I'm talking about weather, & above they're talking climate, but....

2014 was a weird one out here on the prairies. The winter of 2013-2014
was incredibly harsh and cold. Ugly beyond ugly. I work outdoors. Spring
was late coming, and summer was cold and cloudy, with many stretches
where we might not see the sun for several days except for an hour a day
or so. Very weird. The two warmest days where in the early spring and the
late fall.

So much rain with lots of flooding. The cold & wet lead to very poor crops
for the most part. Finally warmed up for a while in the late fall (closest thing
we had to an actual summer), with more rain...lots of it. Had a big dump of
rain right before the weather turned cold, so the ground froze down deep
very quickly....solid 4-5 feet down in many of the gravel pits I work in by
mid November. That's.....just wrong. Tough-tough digging.

The last couple of weeks of 2014 where cold here. -25c to -30c with wind
making it feel like -35c to -40c for the most part. I'm sure 2014 was the
hottest year on record somewhere, but that somewhere sure wasn't here.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's snowing here right now. I'm watching it fall outside on the road. It's freezing.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's always gubmint funded scientists who say it's the warmest year ever.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yep.. They always say that right before they submit their research proposal for funding

And don't forget that the records don't stretch very far back. Saying it's "The hottest year on record" means it's just the hottest year in the last 100 years or so. But there have been approximately 4.54 billion years on Earth.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

late fall.

for the most part. Finally warmed up for a while in the late fall (closest thing

THe believers don't do measurements in areas that don't support their claim. They also base it on the rather dubious premise that old measuring equipment was as accurate and watched as closely as last week. So it wasn't as cold as you thought.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
THe believers don't do measurements in areas that don't support their claim. They also base it on the rather dubious premise that old measuring equipment was as accurate and watched as closely as last week. So it wasn't as cold as you thought.

Well, I am only talk'n 'bout the region I was in, and it was way back in 2014, so....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

late fall.

We read quite a bit about what you have decribed for winter last as being what we might reasonably expect for the forseeable future, anywhere from thirty to a couple of hundred years. There are interesting ideas discussed for steering humanities thinking away from this probable disasterous future. Not the least of which is the desired 500 hundred million maximum global population. These monsters at the top will stop at nothing to stay at the top.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The warmest on record, sure for record keeping sake but the scientists find
old skeletons and dinosaur bones in Alaska that demonstrate that region
was once a tropical forest Scientists, commerce, environmentalists and a
host of others want money for research to tell you they are not sure of a thing.
they change the story and the goal posts each time the average Joe figures
out its a load of crap