Great Lakes 80% frozen over, NASA image show

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Great Lakes 80% frozen over, NASA image show
QMI AGENCY
First posted: Saturday, March 01, 2014 04:09 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, March 01, 2014 04:21 PM EST
The Great Lakes are the most ice-covered they’ve been in 20 years, a new NASA image shows.
The photo taken Feb. 19 shows the lakes are 80.3% frozen over, but NASA said there was 88% ice coverage just six days earlier on Feb. 13.
This is the first time so much ice has been seen on the Great Lakes since 1994, when ice spanned more than 90% of the lakes. In addition to this year, ice has covered more than 80 percent of the lakes in only five other years since 1973.
“Persistently low temperatures across the Great Lakes region are responsible for the increased areal coverage of the ice,” Nathan Kurtz, a cryospheric scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., said in a release. “Low temperatures are also the dominant mechanism for thickening the ice, while secondary factors like clouds, snow, and wind also play a role.”
Lake Ontario is the least ice covered among the Great Lakes with only 32% covered. It’s usually the last lake among the five to freeze over, because it’s one of the deepest, one of the smallest and is situated further south than most of the others, Environment Canada senior climatologist David Phillips said.
According to historical data, Phillips said Lake Ontario was fully covered by ice on just two occasions where records were being kept ­-- the winters of 1933-34 and 1892-93.
“Both those years were very cold years, like this year,” Phillips said. “It began early, stayed cold and there was not a lot of melting or thawing going on up to the time the lake usually freezes over which is usually in February.”
Great Lakes freezing over means the lake-effect snowstorms are negated because the lakes become like a land mass, Phillips said.
- with files from Ian MacAlpine
The Great Lakes are the most ice-covered they’ve been in 20 years, a new NASA image shows. Jeff Schmaltz/NASA

Great Lakes 80% frozen over, NASA image show | World | News | Toronto Sun

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
those lakes are going to be cold for swimming this summer, they won't have a chance to warm up...hell neither will we if their weather predictions come true about how long this polar vortex is going to hang around

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I have a dream! I have a dream that one day (March 21), we will reach a high of 21C. I invite all of you to release emitions. By working together we can make it a reality. United We stand!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Our carbon reduction is causing the planet to cool.

Damn it! I have a dream that we will reach a high of 21C on March 21. Stop driving people, stop driving and get out your snow shoes and cross country skis. United we stand!

Oh I misread it Walter. Keep up the emissions man, keep them up.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
those lakes are going to be cold for swimming this summer, they won't have a chance to warm up...hell neither will we if their weather predictions come true about how long this polar vortex is going to hang around
I might be wrong on this...and someone will surely tell me:wink:.....But whether there is 1 inch of ice on a lake or three feet, once the ice is melted, it should take the same amount of time to warm up the water, cause the lake water temperature is always 0 under the ice.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I might be wrong on this...and someone will surely tell me:wink:.....But whether there is 1 inch of ice on a lake or three feet, once the ice is melted, it should take the same amount of time to warm up the water, cause the lake water temperature is always 0 under the ice.

The bottom of that lake will remain at approx 4 degrees regardless of the snow/ice on the surface.... Hell, it's one of the better insulators around

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

The bottom of that lake will remain at approx 4 degrees regardless of the snow/ice on the surface.... Hell, it's one of the better insulators around

thanks guys, I won't miss my swim after all

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It has been many years since I read up on that......but living in Northern Ontario, I'm well aware of it.
22 days until I have to pull off the ice fishing shack but this year it could probably sit until June. Even with 2 - 8" extensions, we still have to pound through the ice with a steel bar to open a fishing hole.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Thicker ice takes longer to melt so the lake won't have as much time to warm up once the ice has melted before next winter comes.