Reddit bans comments from global warming skeptics

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A content editor on Reddit’s science forum wrote Monday that the site has banned climate-change skeptics, and asks why more news outlets haven’t done the same.

“About a year ago, we moderators became increasingly stringent with deniers,” Reddit content editor Nathan Allen wrote in grist.

“When a potentially controversial submission was posted, a warning would be issued stating the rules for comments (most importantly that your comment isn’t a conspiracy theory) and advising that further violations of the rules could result in the commenter being banned from the forum.”

Allen explains that climate change became an ironically heated topic among commenters on Reddit’s science forum, /r/science, which he described as “a window into the Ivory Tower” for “non-scientists” to connect with experts like himself.

more about these social manipulators

Reddit bans comments from climate-change skeptics | The Daily Caller

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't firmly come down on either side of the debate but I've got to say that stifling dissenting opinion is never a good thing.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I don't visit those hipsters either but disabling comments anywhere is pathetic.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Here's my ideology: private companies may set the terms of their products and services as they choose. The market will then reward or punish those choices. It's funny how many self-proclaimed conservatives tout this as a basic Western value, then get all pissy when a private company makes a choice they don't like.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hey Reddit has the right to do that.

But it is interesting that they are doing it with regards to GW.

Funny how some people miss the point.

WHOOSH!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nice to know this site values free speech.

This is just another example of silencing anyone who has opposing views to any left wing consensus.

And there is no Global Warming, by the way. Only gullible fools, like those who run reddit, believe in it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A content editor on Reddit’s science forum wrote Monday that the site has banned climate-change skeptics, and asks why more news outlets haven’t done the same.

“About a year ago, we moderators became increasingly stringent with deniers,” Reddit content editor Nathan Allen wrote in grist.

“When a potentially controversial submission was posted, a warning would be issued stating the rules for comments (most importantly that your comment isn’t a conspiracy theory) and advising that further violations of the rules could result in the commenter being banned from the forum.”

Allen explains that climate change became an ironically heated topic among commenters on Reddit’s science forum, /r/science, which he described as “a window into the Ivory Tower” for “non-scientists” to connect with experts like himself.

more about these social manipulators

Reddit bans comments from climate-change skeptics | The Daily Caller

Treating climate change like a religion. You can comment all you want as long as you don't contradict the high priest.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Nice to know this site values free speech.

This is just another example of silencing anyone who has opposing views to any left wing consensus.

And there is no Global Warming, by the way. Only gullible fools, like those who run reddit, believe in it.

I should change my nickname to "Gullible Fool"!

I've been to reddit. I didn't geddit.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Plan B: Harass about the other 40% lizard killing, rainforest and ozone layer depleting from their trendy oilsand sourced plasdtic single cup coffee.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hmm, moderators in a science forum moderating posts as per the posting guidelines to ensure there is scientific content instead of trolls. How innovative. :lol:
Allen then expressed surprise that removing an entire faction of commenters “resulted in a change in the culture within the comments. Where once there were personal insults and bitter accusations, there is now discussion of the relevant aspects of the research.”​
If I did the same thing here there would be few posts. Very few discussions of the aspects of the research are ever discussed...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hmm, moderators in a science forum moderating posts as per the posting guidelines to ensure there is scientific content instead of trolls. How innovative. :lol:
Allen then expressed surprise that removing an entire faction of commenters “resulted in a change in the culture within the comments. Where once there were personal insults and bitter accusations, there is now discussion of the relevant aspects of the research.”​
If I did the same thing here there would be few posts. Very few discussions of the aspects of the research are ever discussed...

Delete junk science like climate models and anyone using the faabricated term " climate scientist".

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Here's my ideology: private companies may set the terms of their products and services as they choose. The market will then reward or punish those choices. It's funny how many self-proclaimed conservatives tout this as a basic Western value, then get all pissy when a private company makes a choice they don't like.

I'm sure you meant (private companies may set the terms of their products and services as they choose according to law) didn't you.Most basic western values are worthless.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Delete junk science like climate models and anyone using the faabricated term " climate scientist".

Climate scientist isn't fabricated. What ever made you think that the term climate scientist is something to be suspicious of? Climate models aren't junk, some are worse than others but they are not as a whole junk. They're a tool, a tool that many people don't understand, or even attempt to understand. I could make a very large list of phenomenon that were predicted by models before being confirmed by observations. There is nothing junky about that, that's how science works. Experiments and observations.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm sure you meant (private companies may set the terms of their products and services as they choose according to law) didn't you.
Of course.

Most basic western values are worthless.
Most basic Western values are practiced only when they benefit the proponents. Which, by the way, makes them no worse than most basic non-Western values. Just no better either.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hmm, moderators in a science forum moderating posts as per the posting guidelines to ensure there is scientific content instead of trolls. How innovative.

Rubbish. There is no scientific consensus over Global Warming. Many scientists believe its a load of old hokum.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Climate scientist isn't fabricated. What ever made you think that the term climate scientist is something to be suspicious of? Climate models aren't junk, some are worse than others but they are not as a whole junk. They're a tool, a tool that many people don't understand, or even attempt to understand. I could make a very large list of phenomenon that were predicted by models before being confirmed by observations. There is nothing junky about that, that's how science works. Experiments and observations.

What is a climate scientist? If something misses the mark it's junk. When the junk is sold off as infallible and fact, it's snake oil science.