Top Gear host hits the wall on climate science

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Climate change is not science fiction, Jeremy Clarkson
Scientifically illiterate celebrity deniers are hiding behind their pulpits in the national press

One of the most irritating things that climate scientists have to put up with these days is the bombardment of what I call "bollockspeak" from scientifically illiterate celebrity deniers and polemicists hiding behind their pulpits in the national press. Ignorance is bliss, or so they say, but it can also be perfidious; especially so when accompanied by the mindless arrogance and puffed-up smugness of the know-it-all who demonstrably does not know it all.

This was displayed to perfection at the Hay festival a few weeks ago. I was talking about my new book, Waking the Giant, which addresses the well-established, but not widely known, links between a changing climate and a sometimes violent response from the solid Earth.

As usual the questions at the end of my presentation were astute and well-informed. I did think it a little odd, however, that the climate change deniers appeared to be absent, or were at least keeping their heads down.

A few days later, however, all became clear. The contrarians did, in fact, have a presence in the form of Jeremy Clarkson. Presumably being too self-effacing and timid to challenge me face-to-face at the event, Clarkson chose instead to denigrate the talk, the science and me personally in a weekly column he churns out for the Sunday Times.

Here are a few choice quotes:
"Science fiction is thriving; only today it's all being written by global warming enthusiasts".

[McGuire] says that soon, climate change will bring about an age of geological havoc including tsunamis and something he calls 'volcano storms'.

This is fantastic stuff. Scary. Possible. And we haven't even got to the clincher yet, because McGuire says that as all the snow melts, the sea will become heavier and that will cause fault lines to shift all over the world. Japan. Mexico. Chile. All gone. The man is talking here about an extinction-level event. And the word is that when the film rights are sorted, Denzel is earmarked for the lead.

[McGuire] delivered his cataclysmic view of events to come in much the same way that The War of the Worlds was first played on the radio. Seriously, as though it were fact.

But I think the scariest part is that McGuire is actually employed by the government as an adviser. It actually takes him seriously".​
I think you get the picture. Notwithstanding the fact that much of the bilge in the column is reflective not of my Hay talk, but of the barely coherent products of Clarkson's own fevered imagination, it is near impossible to imagine the degree of conceit required for someone with – let's say limited - scientific expertise, to sit through a talk that presents the fruits of peer-reviewed research by hundreds of scientists and dismiss them out of hand. Slightly miffed – to say the least – I sent a letter to the Sunday Times outlining my thoughts about Mr. Clarkson and his rantings. This has not been published, either in its entirety or in part, and I have yet to receive any response from the paper at all.

The bottom line is that rapid climate change drives a hazardous response from the Earth's crust – fact! The idea is not new and – in scientific circles – is not even controversial.

We have a huge amount of data gleaned from the 20,000 years that has elapsed since the end of the last ice age, which saw one of the most dramatic transformations in our planet's history; from frigid wasteland to the broadly clement world we are familiar with today. The changes in stress and strain in the crust that resulted from melting of the 3km-thick continental ice sheets and a 130m rise in global sea levels, saw Lapland wracked by massive quakes associated today with places like the Pacific "ring of fire", while volcanic outbursts on Iceland increased 30 times. There is plenty of evidence too, for seismic shakings and volcanic rumblings, during this period, right across the planet.

With the climate once again changing at least as rapidly as during post-glacial times, we are already seeing a seismic response to the loss of ice mass in Alaska, and a rise in the frequency of giant landslides as a reaction to heat waves across mountainous regions. How widespread and obvious the future response of the Earth beneath our feet will be to continued planetary warming, remains uncertain. Clearly, however, the potential exists for unmitigated climate change to bring about a significant and hazardous riposte.

When we get down to the nitty-gritty, it does not really matter whether Clarkson and his ilk accept the existence of anthropogenic climate change or not. As a certain Canute discovered in a somewhat different context more than 1,000 years ago, such denial will not halt Nature in its tracks. We will continue to see global temperatures climbing; the polar ice sheets crumbling or and sea levels sloshing ever higher. In the fullness of time, the deniers' pretence that the data don't exist, while shouting "la, la, la" and holding their hands over their ears, will make not a blind bit of difference to the outcome.

• Bill McGuire is professor of geophysical and climate hazards at UCL. His latest book is Waking the Giant: How a Changing Climate Triggers Earthquake, Tsunamis and Volcanoes.

Climate change is not science fiction, Jeremy Clarkson | Bill McGuire | Environment | guardian.co.uk

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
You too can be a professor! Memorize, memorize, memorize. Now be sure you pay attention to the "correct" politics and social engineering methodology whilst acquiring just the right image. Tenure and grants will flow like wine.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You too can be a professor! Memorize, memorize, memorize. Now be sure you pay attention to the "correct" politics and social engineering methodology whilst acquiring just the right image. Tenure and grants will flow like wine.

Science is now "correct politics" confirmed.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

you too can host a tv show about cars, just adopt a smug superior attitude, and pretend that anythign you say has meaning! Remember to put down anything not made in your own geographic area, and complain about things that sell in other parts of the world.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I was talking about my new book, Waking the Giant, which addresses the well-established, but not widely known, links between a changing climate and a sometimes violent response from the solid Earth.

rotflmao.. i knew this was coming.. after they've exhausted their hysteria about crop failures, famines, floods, droughts, hurricanes.. none of which are happening with the regularity they predicted.. they're looking for new avenues to ratchet up the fear mongering.. why not earthquakes, volcanos, tsunamis. You wonder how drooling idiots like this get air time... but for the occult community of AGW worshipers.. the more outrageous you become.. the more worthy of the status of high priest of the climate cult. :roll:

The truth is they now control tenure, appointments, grants at large universities.. and have imposed an orthodoxy to which all aspirants to a college career must submit.. one tenet is complete, uncritical acceptance of the pseudo science of AGW.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The truth is they now control tenure, appointments, grants at large universities.. and have imposed an orthodoxy to which all aspirants to a college career must submit.. one tenet is complete, uncritical acceptance of the pseudo science of AGW.

It's an improvement over the days when it was complete, uncritical acceptance of christianity that was required.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's an improvement over the days when it was complete, uncritical acceptance of christianity that was required.

The difference, Tenpenny, is between Truth.. and malicious fiction. AGW corresponds with the latter. :)

In world where all truths are relative.. all things start to be accepted by credulity, based on such things as college credentials.. no matter how nonsensical and illogical the proposition (as this is). What is squandered is an innate reasoning and understanding of moral and natural law which unimpeded by this type of sophistry, will reveal that which is a lie.

As i've stated before, the loss of faith in our society.. has made the onset of occult nonsense like AGW.. inevitable.

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
Until 1979 it wasn't widely accepted that mass extinctions ever occured, we now understand that the global environment can and does go through periodic upheavals that wipe out high percentages of existing species.

Catastrophism was treated with derision until there was no room for meaningful doubt, global warming has reached the same point. The arguments against it being presented here are hollow, often lacking even a slight grasp of basic science.

The difference, Tenpenny, is between Truth.. and malicious fiction. AGW corresponds with the latter. :)

In world where all truths are relative.. all things start to be accepted by credulity, based on such things as college credentials.. no matter how nonsensical and illogical the proposition (as this is). What is squandered is an innate reasoning and understanding of moral and natural law which unimpeded by this type of sophistry, will reveal that which is a lie.

As i've stated before, the loss of faith in our society.. has made the onset of occult nonsense like AGW.. inevitable.

How about some hard facts to support your sweeping claims?

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
rotflmao.. i knew this was coming.. after they've exhausted their hysteria about crop failures, famines, floods, droughts, hurricanes.. none of which are happening with the regularity they predicted.. they're looking for new avenues to ratchet up the fear mongering.. why not earthquakes, volcanos, tsunamis. You wonder how drooling idiots like this get air time... but for the occult community of AGW worshipers.. the more outrageous you become.. the more worthy of the status of high priest of the climate cult. :roll:

You know little of American Universities (others to a lesser extent) where the administrations are usually solidly Right Wing and where many staff walk a fine line between their disciplines and the demands of the administration.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
One of the most irritating things that climate scientists have to put up with these days is the bombardment of what I call "bollockspeak" from scientifically illiterate celebrity deniers and polemicists hiding behind their pulpits in the national press. Ignorance is bliss, or so they say, but it can also be perfidious; especially so when accompanied by the mindless arrogance and puffed-up smugness of the know-it-all who demonstrably does not know it all.....

Says the Know-it-All..... pot meet kettle. Finger pointing seems to occur on both sides with both sides thinking they know better than those who they think don't know what they're talking about.

.... As usual the questions at the end of my presentation were astute and well-informed. I did think it a little odd, however, that the climate change deniers appeared to be absent, or were at least keeping their heads down.

Maybe they just couldn't be bothered getting into the same old crap again and again.

Sometimes you just get tired of repeating the same thing over and over again every time some new joe blow comes along acting like they know what's really going on.

Perhaps he should get back to talking about cars..... which ironically are pretty good at adding pollution to his precious Global Warming.

Hypocrite.

A few days later, however, all became clear. The contrarians did, in fact, have a presence in the form of Jeremy Clarkson. Presumably being too self-effacing and timid to challenge me face-to-face at the event, Clarkson chose instead to denigrate the talk, the science and me personally in a weekly column he churns out for the Sunday Times.

Here are a few choice quotes:
"Science fiction is thriving; only today it's all being written by global warming enthusiasts".

[McGuire] says that soon, climate change will bring about an age of geological havoc including tsunamis and something he calls 'volcano storms'.

This is fantastic stuff. Scary. Possible. And we haven't even got to the clincher yet, because McGuire says that as all the snow melts, the sea will become heavier and that will cause fault lines to shift all over the world. Japan. Mexico. Chile. All gone. The man is talking here about an extinction-level event. And the word is that when the film rights are sorted, Denzel is earmarked for the lead.

[McGuire] delivered his cataclysmic view of events to come in much the same way that The War of the Worlds was first played on the radio. Seriously, as though it were fact.

But I think the scariest part is that McGuire is actually employed by the government as an adviser. It actually takes him seriously".​

Maybe because he makes more sense than you.... jealous much?

I think you get the picture.

No, not really.

Notwithstanding the fact that much of the bilge in the column is reflective not of my Hay talk, but of the barely coherent products of Clarkson's own fevered imagination, it is near impossible to imagine the degree of conceit required for someone with – let's say limited - scientific expertise, to sit through a talk that presents the fruits of peer-reviewed research by hundreds of scientists and dismiss them out of hand.

... which many other scientists who "Peer-Reviewed" the same research who didn't agree were dismissed out of hand by these same clowns who didn't like that they didn't agree..... and omitted from the overall subject so that it seemed this research was unquestionable.

Slightly miffed – to say the least – I sent a letter to the Sunday Times outlining my thoughts about Mr. Clarkson and his rantings. This has not been published, either in its entirety or in part, and I have yet to receive any response from the paper at all.

Awww.... muffin.

Maybe they found it a bit funny that you didn't like having your claims trashed so you in turn stooped to the same level by trashing back with the same kind of attitude, which I suspect sounded a lot like the attitude in this drivel.

The bottom line is that rapid climate change drives a hazardous response from the Earth's crust – fact! The idea is not new and – in scientific circles – is not even controversial.

"Circles" meaning there is more than one Circle.... I suspect he's talking about his "Circles" that agree with him, rather than other Circles which don't.

"Fact!?"

I love how these Global Warmongers always make some random claim and then add "FACT!" at the end, when they never actually show how it's a Fact..... they just say so and we're just supposed to accept it.

Funny thing is, when I've gotten into these GW debates in the past and showed other "Scientific Evidence" countering their claims, many of those Global Warmongers side track, change the subject, or try and re-interoperate the information into meaning something completely different..... or trivialize.

It gets pretty boring after a while.

We have a huge amount of data gleaned from the 20,000 years that has elapsed since the end of the last ice age, which saw one of the most dramatic transformations in our planet's history; from frigid wasteland to the broadly clement world we are familiar with today. The changes in stress and strain in the crust that resulted from melting of the 3km-thick continental ice sheets and a 130m rise in global sea levels, saw Lapland wracked by massive quakes associated today with places like the Pacific "ring of fire", while volcanic outbursts on Iceland increased 30 times. There is plenty of evidence too, for seismic shakings and volcanic rumblings, during this period, right across the planet.

uh-huh.... all relating to an Ice Age, not Global Warming..... and last I checked, the last Ice Age didn't occur from man-made pollution.... and if there is another Ice Age coming, who's to say it wasn't going to happen with or without our involvement??

Glacier Ice Core Samples show a completely different picture than what Global Warmongers keep preaching about, and show more information far beyond the last Ice Age to show us all a pattern in the Earth's life cycle that has been going on long before we ever came along..... and based on that information alone, we're on the up-swing.

With the climate once again changing at least as rapidly as during post-glacial times, we are already seeing a seismic response to the loss of ice mass in Alaska, and a rise in the frequency of giant landslides as a reaction to heat waves across mountainous regions.

How widespread and obvious the future response of the Earth beneath our feet will be to continued planetary warming, remains uncertain. Clearly, however, the potential exists for unmitigated climate change to bring about a significant and hazardous riposte.

When we get down to the nitty-gritty, it does not really matter whether Clarkson and his ilk accept the existence of anthropogenic climate change or not.

Then why do you care enough to keep going on with this crap and to attack him and his "Ilk?"

Butthurt?

As a certain Canute discovered in a somewhat different context more than 1,000 years ago, such denial will not halt Nature in its tracks.

Indeed, nor can we magically and suddenly do anything about it..... we're just along for the ride, so bitching and moaning about people not agreeing with your position isn't going to make a difference, so why the hell bother??

We will continue to see global temperatures climbing; the polar ice sheets crumbling or and sea levels sloshing ever higher.

In 32 years of my life, I still haven't see the sea levels rise except during high and low tides.... that rock popping out of the water along the shoreline by my mothers house on the island is still popping out of the water as much as it always has.

Coastal Cities and Communities still haven't been buried under several metres of ocean as claimed back in the 80's....

In the fullness of time, the deniers' pretence that the data don't exist, while shouting "la, la, la" and holding their hands over their ears, will make not a blind bit of difference to the outcome.

And neither will you make a difference by continually bickering and complaining about them not listening to you.

So what's the point of all of this?

In the end when we all die are you looking forward to standing up on your high horse and proclaim "I was right, I told you so!"

Who's going to be around to give a damn??

A bit futile if you ask me.

Thanks for killing some time on my lunch break.... moving on, nothing new.....

You can get back to pimping out your polluting cars now, nobody gives a sh*t

I've got better things to do in my life then spend the rest of it worrying over my impending doom that I have no control over.

Just sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride.

..... The truth is they now control tenure, appointments, grants at large universities.. and have imposed an orthodoxy to which all aspirants to a college career must submit.. one tenet is complete, uncritical acceptance of the pseudo science of AGW.

I think it's high time we have some good old fashion witch burnings.

If these clowns want to keep thinking we're all backwards, close minded cave dwellers.... perhaps we should start acting like it & clear out some of these idiots from the Gene Pool in the process.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

lmao Christianity knows about it's "truths" and very little else. It's certainly repulsed by reality (which it calls "fiction")

I know, but the problem is there are people who believe that Christianity is Truth.

and this has what to do with the OP...... you 2 want to bash Christianity, then start your own little thread and the 2 of you have at it.

Redmonton_Rebel

Electoral Member
May 13, 2012
I think it's high time we have some good old fashion witch burnings.

If these clowns want to keep thinking we're all backwards, close minded cave dwellers.... perhaps we should start acting like it & clear out some of these idiots from the Gene Pool in the process.

Then who's going to build all those cool little toys for you that makes modern life so convenient?

When you start acting like beasts you're going to end up living like one when you kill off all the people qualified to make modern life possible.

And anyone who's communicating online- which applies to everyone here- is using technology that is far more recent and revolutionary than the science behind climate change which goes back centuries, the first calculations of climate sensitivty were carried out in 1898.

It is possible to inform yourselves of the facts, the amount of effort some people here go to to remain ignorant is staggering.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
You know little of American Universities (others to a lesser extent) where the administrations are usually solidly Right Wing and where many staff walk a fine line between their disciplines and the demands of the administration.

This is an article on Richard Lindzen.. the 'Inconvenient Scientist' at MIT and one of few academics brave enough to question the appalling lack of integrity and scientific method in the AGW hoax. That is an IMPOSED orthodoxy which you breach at terminal risk to your career.

MIT's inconvenient scientist - The Boston Globe

Had he done this prior to receiving tenure, and a funded chair at MIT he would have been ostracized and cast out. Since publishing his penetrating criticisms of the Global Warming cult.. he has been subjected to lawsuits, slander and isolation.

American Universities are now in the grip of New Age Occultism.. anchored in extreme and irrational forms of environmentalism, feminism, especially in promotion of abortion and embryonic stem cell research, moral relativism, and radical individualism.. in the sciences, arts and social sciences.. all geared to a 'post-Christian' characterization of humankind as some kind of pestilence on the natural order of things.

You don't get an EDUCATION at U.S. universities now, you get an INDOCTRINATION.

Last edited: