The law

herald

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2006
"The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than the honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is Thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward." Ps 19:7-11.

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word, " is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "tesimonies." (Courtesy of Dr. R.C. Sproul)

GOD'S WORD IS HIS LAW.

The Old Testament version of being born again:

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27. When His Spirit is within us, we are empowered to obey His Word/His law.

"O how I love Thy law! It is my meditation all the day. Thou through Thy commandments, have made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me." Ps 119:97,98.

"Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness and Thy law is truth." Ps 119:142.

"Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them." Ps 119:165.

"My son, keep My words, and lay up the commandments with thee. Keep My commandments and live; and My law as the apple of thine eye." Pro 7:1,2.

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law happy is he." Pro 29:18.

"Therefore as the fire devoured the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel." Isa 5:24.

"...I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God and they shall be My people." Jer 31:33

"The law of truth was in His mouth, and iniquity was not found in His lips: He walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from their iniquity." (lawlessness) Mal 2:6.

When Jesus gave us The Two Greatest Commandments, He was quoting the law:

"Then one of them which was a lawyer, asked Him a question, tempting Him, and saying, Master which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy mind and with all thy strength. This is the first and great commandment. (Deut 6:5) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. (Lev 19:18) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matt 22:35-40.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law, shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." Rom 2:12,13.

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law and offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For He that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law." Ja 2:10,11.

"Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of good conscience, and of faith unfeigned...Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm." 1 Tim 1:5-7.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Deuteronomy 20:16-18 (King James Version)

16: But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

17: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

18: That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Deuteronomy 20:16-18 (King James Version)

16: But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

17: But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

18: That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.
Good idea. Massacre anyone who doesn't believe in the same things you believe in. How very Christian. :D

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Good idea. Massacre anyone who doesn't believe in the same things you believe in. How very Christian. :D
Just proves what eanassir has been saying all along - Islam is cut from the same cloth as the Jews and Christians. Perhaps Armageddon would be a good idea, but to save the rest of humanity, we could ship them all off to the moon to do their dirty deeds. Place is a dead rock anyway. No great loss.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Herald: Do you not think that maybe you are a little old to believe in farrie tales?
One thing about it though, if all the religious freaks would kill each other off in the name of brotherly love the rest of us would be much safer and happier.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than the honey and the honeycomb. "

No thanks. I'll take the gold, you keep the Bible.

And as I have said previously: I'll gladly go to any church that will find me a wealthy wife.

herald

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2006
The Scripture is the Word of God, and you will find out on the Day of Judgment,

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Scripture is the Word of God, and you will find out on the Day of Judgment,
"The World is Ending Soon! Repent!" Do you stand out on street corners carrying placards? - Mr. Doom and Gloom. The scriptures were written by men. They have all the credibility of a political platform. Get drunk and laid. You will feel a lot better about life.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Does Gawd wear a wig and robes?
Spade are you telling us you have never been in a court of law? When you are there, it's pretty much Gawd speaking! Many years ago in Calgary, a family court "Gawd" gave a ruling that two little children be placed in the hands of the foster family they lived with rather than with family. Their lives have been completely destroyed by that one bad day of judgment..

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I will respond with the words of Jesus. "Render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's, and to God what is God's".

Meaning that civil government rules also have to be followed, just as God's do.

Clear, plain language which anyone can read and understand. Now, try to tell us that YOUR understanding of the Bible is better than that of Jesus.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It seems the OP thinks OT law is still valid in God's eyes but it's not as clearly stated in the book of Heebs chapter 8.

It seems the OP thinks OT law is still valid in God's eyes but it's not as clearly stated in the book of Heebs chapter 8.

But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:31

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Jer 31:32

And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Jer 31:34

For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Jer 31:34 Heb 10:17

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Jer 31:31

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh dear! You mean the bible contradicts itself? Holy Crap! What shall we do? I think I will go sit in the corner now until someone figures out how we can possibly believe in a god that contradicts itself.
Matt was a hack. The Heebs rule.