Why do people have to believe in God?....

abitz

Apr 9, 2010
Why do people have to believe in God?
Why do Chrstians have to believe in Jesus' divinity? Why can't he just be an ordinary, 100% HUMAN, who was an absolutely stunning person, someone we can aspire to be?

These are two questions I have been struggling with as of late. Right now I would classify myself as an atheist, bordering on gnostic.

I really want to get to the root of these questions so I can go on a path towards Christianity or Atheism.

abitz

Apr 9, 2010
I guess I could also fall somewhere in between, it doesn't have to be either or. I just don't see myself becoming a devote Christian, spending 1 day a week in God's name, etc.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
1st.... you don't HAVE to believe in God, you have free will..... you can believe what ever your little heart desires.

As for why Christians need to believe in Christ? well...... we are called CHRISTians.

Muslims believe Jesus was a nice guy and a prophet to boot...... but that doesn't make them Christians.

To be a Christian, you need to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour and to acknowledge that he was born the son of God, was crucified and died for our sins, was resurected and ascended to heaven.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I guess I could also fall somewhere in between, it doesn't have to be either or. I just don't see myself becoming a devote Christian, spending 1 day a week in God's name, etc.

ummmmmmm....spending one day a week in Gods name????????????????????

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
I have an old saying, "It's not if you believe in God that he exists, it's if God believes in you that he exists."

So basically, don't worry about it untill your time comes to play...you'll know.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
First what the hell is god? Well omnipotent all knowing etc and the creator and curator of everything. So the way I see it you got two choices, believe or don't believe. You can't say there is no god with any conviction or convincingly simply because you are a relatively stupid organism that in no way is fit to make judgements about omnipotent beings. So just to make sure you won't be an early victim of his omnipotents whim you should logically assume he/she/it exists and thereby cover both bases comfortably I should think. If you go arround bragging about your non belief your sure to jinx your kharma sooner or later. On the other hand if you passively and humbly accept the undefined superior omnipotent being what the hell does it cost you? There is a god and you aint it and neither am I as far as I know.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
First what the hell is god? Well omnipotent all knowing etc and the creator and curator of everything. So the way I see it you got two choices, believe or don't believe. You can't say there is no god with any conviction or convincingly simply because you are a relatively stupid organism that in no way is fit to make judgements about omnipotent beings. So just to make sure you won't be an early victim of his omnipotents whim you should logically assume he/she/it exists and thereby cover both bases comfortably I should think. If you go arround bragging about your non belief your sure to jinx your kharma sooner or later. On the other hand if you passively and humbly accept the undefined superior omnipotent being what the hell does it cost you? There is a god and you aint it and neither am I as far as I know.

Well.. Just let me know when your shadow stops moving and walks towards you and introduces himself as God. Then you know.... :lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I am a christian. I believe in God. I don't have to believe in God. I just do. I think you mean "devout" Christian. Christians do not devote one day a week to God's name. You either believe in God or you do not. One day a week of going to church does not make anyone a devout christian. Gerry made the most valid point. Study his post..

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well.. Just let me know when your shadow stops moving and walks towards you and introduces himself as God. Then you know.... :lol:

It could happen. Believing in the undefined omnipotent god excuses the believer for all the **** ups. On the other hand if you don't believe in god the great undefinable one then there's only you left to bear the responsibility. God made me do it, I may be stupid but I am not responsible enough to be guilty.:lol:

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE.... If you do not know God, forget it! It wasn't meant to be... God could care less about if you believe or not. Once you are connected with God your flippin f'ed by his eternal clutches. Are you people even prepared for the responsibility of knowing God?

Hint: Ever get the feeling your missing out on a secret?

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
It could happen. Believing in the undefined omnipotent god excuses the believer for all the **** ups. On the other hand if you don't believe in god the great undefinable one then there's only you left to bear the responsibility. God made me do it, I may be stupid but I am not responsible enough to be guilty.:lol:

I'm figuring maybe %50 of the world knows God, and my complete guess is that %50 of the world is related through geneaology to the bible, the remaining %50 t are on their own. done! phew...:p

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE.... If you do not know God, forget it! It wasn't meant to be... God could care less about if you believe or not. Once you are connected with God your flippin f'ed by his eternal clutches. Are you people even prepared for the responsibility of knowing God?

Hint: Ever get the feeling your missing out on a secret?

Only when my grandson gets that brilliant look in his eyes and jibber jabbers the wisdom of ages to me ... and I can't understand it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I'm still willing to go to any church that will find me a wealthy wife.

good evening Gopher. I understand your mission has to date been uncompleted. Owing to the economic downturn loose wealthy women are an all but extinct part of our species were I you I would lower my expectations lest the fog of perpetual lonliness engulfs you. You could get multiples, in fact it is common to makeup the shortfalls in this manner I understand. One for the yardwork one for the cooking one to chauffer one or two for whoopie etc. The nag factor would be enormous but some concessions are to be expected.