2010 major earthquake la

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i saw a bible code documentary that says that there will be a major earthquake in la in 2010. it should be interesting to see if anything happens.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Has there been a year when there hasn't been a large earthquake?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Has there been a year when there hasn't been a large earthquake?
I thought the likes of you and I were supposed to be a little concerned about that every year. Mid April is our biggest concern "time" is it not?
I find it very difficult to take anyone with that avatar very serious about much of anything and I'm not talking about your shark.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hard to say,that fault go's all around the world and was responsible for Alaska's big one.
There was a good program on the pacific ring of fire the other day.
I think Tokyo is in the most danger of a big one.
It's not hard to say. The ocean level is rising and there hasn't been a quake yet that has affected both LA and Vancouver equally. It's simply more reasonable to think at least parts of both cities will get wet from rising water than each will suffer from the same downward slide into the ocean.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
It's not hard to say. The ocean level is rising and there hasn't been a quake yet that has affected both LA and Vancouver equally. It's simply more reasonable to think at least parts of both cities will get wet from rising water than each with suffer from the same downward slide into the ocean.

I think if the ocean rose enough to do that then we got bigger problems then any earthquake.We would have a huge inland sea though,I think it's near Osoyoos that close to sea level and a good chunk of Nunavut isnt much higher.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
If L.A. gets one big enough that landmasses start sliding into the ocean you can bet Vancouver will feel the effects.
Geology of Western British Columbia, Canada

Stretching from the Queen Charlotte Islands down to the northern tip of Vancouver Island, is the Queen Charlotte fault line. This is where the Pacific Plate is sliding northwest against the North America plate. There was an earthquake of 8.1 that occurred on this fault line on August 22, 1949.
In the ocean, west of Vancouver Island, there is a region known as the Cascadia subduction zone. This zone stretches from the northern tip of Vancouver Island down to northern California. The Juan de Fuca plate is subducting (sliding) under the North America plate.

Read more at Suite101: Vancouver Island Earthquake 1946: Canada's Largest Recorded Seismic Event on Land http://earthquakes.suite101.com/article.cfm/vancouver_island_earthquake_1946#ixzz0bU8ZpSQr

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think if the ocean rose enough to do that then we got bigger problems then any earthquake.
That would pretty much be a bankable thought. The ocean reaches a lot of cities and it is rising. An earthquake is a more or less localised event.
We would have a huge inland sea though,I think it's near Osoyoos that close to sea level and a good chunk of Nunavut isnt much higher.
Osoyoos is at least 300 meters above sea level. If the ocean rose 3 meters a lot of the coast would be in trouble. I don't know about Nunavut or NWT.