Quesion about the ascention of Jesus.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When I was studying catechism in Catholic school as a kid, one the the points taught in class that had always confounded me was the question of the ascention of Jesus. It was always taught as a literal ascention, and explicitely so when I'd questioned the teacher about it. Generally speaking, the answer I always got was that it was a question of Faith. While I can accept that not all can be proven, the problem with a literal ascention is its implications on the material, and thus scientifially verifiable, world.

For instance, if Jesus ascended literally, then he must have followed a particular trajectory at a particular velocity within a particular acceletory pattern for a set period of time before reaching Heaven, which woud thus allow us to pinpoint Heaven at a particular co-ordiate in space. At that stage, it's no longer a matter of Faith that simply cannot be either proven or disproven. If the ascention is literal, even if we accept miracles, it still must have involved a trajectory, a velocity, an acceleration, and a time frame, allowing us to pinpoint a co-ordinate, something not spiritual, but very much material and as such, verifiable by science.
It cannot be compared to other miracles, either, Let's take healing the sick, resurecting people, or walking on water as examples. In all of these cases, God could suspend the laws of physics to allow these events to occur. As for the ascention of Jesus, of course he could do the same in order to allow Jesus to ascend. The difference, however, is in its implications concerning heaven. If Jesus physically ascended towards Heaven, that implies that heaven is not a spiritual domain, but very much an astral one.

So while I could accept a spiritual ascention, with the story in the Gospel taken as a symbolic representation of that ascention, with the concept of ascention itself to be symbolic (sinse even up and down are relative gravitational concepts), I can't see how that ascention could be literal without implying that Heaven is at a particular co-ordinate in space, since a literal ascention would involve movement in physical space to reach it.

I'd be curious to know how most Christians here understand the ascention of Jesus and that understanding's implication for your conception of Heaven as either a spiritual or physical place.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I'd be curious to know how most Christians here understand the ascention of Jesus and that understanding's implication for your conception of Heaven as either a spiritual or physical place.

He may not have ascended via trajectory. It easily could have been more tele-portation like. Since you were taught Catholic, I can't imagine you would believe in the rapture. Yet, the word says it will happen "in the twinkling of an eye". Instantaneous in other words. If I remember correctly, Paul got imprisoned, and while praying in the spirit, God didn't give Paul a mere vision of the homeland, but he actually took him there!!!

So, yes, both Jesus' spirit and his body ascended to heaven. Remember, that's why God made us special, we're spirit creatures with flesh wrapped around us. Seeing as how Jesus was perfect, his holy body was taken to heaven, while us mortals leave our flesh behind when we die. We get newly transformed living flesh when we Jesus greets us back home.

We know some stuff about heaven, but I have so many curiosities about what it will be like. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
His ascension came some # of days after being glorified. Why skip the most important event and cover the lesser important one?
The coming as when leaving is about the same velocity, height, whatever parameter you want. 2/3 of the worlds population will not be alive at the end of that day, that is different and that would be hard to miss in terms of there being a sign as to when it is safe to venture to Jerusalem for the first feast. Then you follow the next steps in the specific order and you end up at your destination for the next phase of redemption in progress.

If you are lost at this point, well keep reading, just the 4 gospels give you a very rigid outline. That part doesn't move or alter, all other Scripture come to be supportive of those 4 Books. Nobody said it was to be an easy journey. I've even said Cliffy might end up in hell for a post. In that instance it is better hell than the lake. If God sends a person to hell they cannot be sent to the lake without sinning at least one more time. Satan is not even a memory when those who hell holds are released.
If God was even a little bitchy towards men he would release hell before Satan is done, more for the lake.

The ones with the Son get to meet "Dad" on slightly different terms, instead of rebellious children (the ones in death and hell) He meets an adult version
when Christ's brings His followers (Israel and the Church) In smallest numbers it is 2 Christians having a lot more power with God than 12 former Tribes do. That doesn't even touch the 7 Churches and what kind of banshees they can be turned into when fed some slanted verses. Being in exile makes you equal to a virgin. The sword belongs to the nations, the Tribes are servants in the Nations, they do not seek the highest positions, God has already chosen their positions and when those are given. They should know by know, piss god off and things just don't go all that well after that. If Neb and the Romans weren't proof of that when the 3rd time comes around and they are being naughty and not nice God can resurrect them as promised and then kill them for 'troubling a Christian', thought and deed. Deeds are covered via an OT promise, NT promises say that thoughts also have to be repented, the ones repenting just deeds are making a hollow prayer (even worse is not repenting because previous promises would seem to make that step unnecessarily. Wrong, it bis a sin that grace does not cover

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Wow,
Alley, Did you comprehend any of that?

Mhz,
You never cease to amaze! In all my wildest imaginings I could not have come up with such utter nonsense. Have to admit though, you do have a fertile mind. Such a waste.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

While I'm not a Christian I would like to point out that resurrection after death was very popular theme in religion at that time. So I would suggest that like the resurrection of Horus or Mithra the Jesus resurrection is BS too. But it seems like you know that already.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Isn't the literal ascension pretty important? I thought that was what the Judaists are waiting around for, a literal ascension into heaven, such as what happened to Elijah?

In fact, isn't that why bodies are buried in Christian tradition? So that it can be raised up to heaven?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Isn't the literal ascension pretty important? I thought that was what the Judaists are waiting around for, a literal ascension into heaven, such as what happened to Elijah?

In fact, isn't that why bodies are buried in Christian tradition? So that it can be raised up to heaven?
His ascension is important in that if He did not go He could not return. By the end of the day of His resurrection He was glorified. Jesus no had authority from God to baptize with the Holy Spirit, plus a few other things.

1Co:5:5:
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh,
that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Luckily Cliffy disbelief does not make you an abandoned one, see how much fairer He is than you?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Luckily Cliffy disbelief does not make you an abandoned one, see how much fairer He is than you?

The truth only hurts if you are desperately clinging to lies. The god of Abraham is a false god. The reason I know this is that he is a despot. The reason you fail to see that is that you are one of those type of people who pick through the M&Ms and only eat the red ones. In case you are wondering, that is a metaphor, just like most of the bible.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
i want to be your padawan learner for word play

A good teacher would tell a seeker to go away.;-) Unfortunately, I have no idea how my mind works so teaching someone is not possible. My best teacher (a Cree medicine man) just went about his business and let me watch. I learned a whole lot from him.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If I showed the same kind of disrespect about gays as atheists here display about people of their faith, I would be labelled a bigot and a homophobe.

Go figure!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If I showed the same kind of disrespect about gays as atheists here display about people of their faith, I would be labelled a bigot and a homophobe.

Go figure!

why do you continue to feed these useless peices of shyte?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"why do you continue to feed these useless peices of shyte"

Fair question, gerryh!

I am always willing to learn from my liberal friends since by their own admission, they are wise, loving, tolerant and compassionate.

Witness the post #14 by one of these loving, caring, tolerant and compassionate liberals. They would NEVER sink to name-calling! EVER! Right??

Mind you, nor would (could) they rise to contribute anything worthwhile.

Go, Figure!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
"why do you continue to feed these useless peices of shyte"

Fair question, gerryh!

I am always willing to learn from my liberal friends since by their own admission, they are wise, loving, tolerant and compassionate.

Witness the post #14 by one of these loving, caring, tolerant and compassionate liberals. They would NEVER sink to name-calling! EVER! Right??

Mind you, nor would (could) they rise to contribute anything worthwhile.

Go, Figure!

Rush isn't on right now, there be no learning for you boy.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Rush isn't on right now, there be no learning for you boy."

It is 3:37 EST. RUSH IS on on the Rochester, NY station, right now.

So, once again, Mr. Mugabe, as usual, you are wrong.

BTW, you are slipping! You did not call me another of your loving and tolerant names!!

"BOY" is the best you can come up with? I pity you.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
"Rush isn't on right now, there be no learning for you boy."

It is 3:37 EST. RUSH IS on on the Rochester, NY station, right now.

So, once again, Mr. Mugabe, as usual, you are wrong.

BTW, you are slipping! You did not call me another of your loving and tolerant names!!

"BOY" is the best you can come up with? I pity you.

The fact that you have his schedule memorized is pretty pathetic.

Is that what people do when they get old, listen to angry rednecks scream on the radio?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Well, it looks like I got to you, DurkaDurka!

You seem to make amends for your infinite stupidity of choosing your ideal, Roberet Mugabe as your avatar. Finally, you either aquired a bit of decency or a bit of sense.

Congratulations! Now you profess your loyalty to Saddam Hussain.

The Ukranian word for "idiot" is "DURAK". Slight change in spelling and then doubling it, truly and faithfully describes you.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well, it looks like I got to you, DurkaDurka!

You seem to make amends for your infinite stupidity of choosing your ideal, Roberet Mugabe as your avatar. Finally, you either aquired a bit of decency or a bit of sense.

Congratulations! Now you profess your loyalty to Saddam Hussain.

The Ukranian word for "idiot" is "DURAK". Slight change in spelling and then doubling it, truly and faithfully describes you.

Actually, my avatar is the leader of the Tamil Tigers, put your bifocals on, Yukon!

I can only imagine your reaction when I put Kim Jong Il as my avatar...

Yukon, your words mean a lot to me. Please proceed with more weak insults.