Polar bear photographed 'praying' next to cross

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Polar bear photographed 'praying' next to cross
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 09:04 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:56 AM EDT
WESLEYVILLE, N.L. — Jessica Andrews was scanning through dozens of photos she took of a polar bear roaming around her backyard when she came across one that stopped her in her tracks.
The large animal was squatting beneath a white cross, its paws together and raised skyward as it looked up in a seemingly reverential pose.
“I didn’t notice it when I was taking them, but when I started to go through to edit them, oh my God, I was like, ’Holy crap, he’s praying!”’ the 22-year-old said from her home in Wesleyville, a shoreline community on Newfoundland’s central coast.
“I was amazed, I mean, beyond amazed.”
The slightly grainy photo shows the bear sitting on its haunches on a barren, snow-covered patch of rock as it looks up to the top of the white cross.
Andrews said she heard there was a polar bear on the small island behind her house soon after she arrived home from work at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. She grabbed her camera and spotted the bear wandering around some old fishing boxes on the island before it slipped into the water and ventured over to a neighbouring island.
She kept shooting photos and watching the bear with binoculars, insisting that the curious animal was staring back at her. She said the bear then approached the cross, sniffed around the base and then put his paw on it as if to climb up the main beam.
“He stood up and put his paw on the cross and that’s the picture I took,” she said. “It was almost like he was staring right at me.”
Andrews, who had never seen a polar bear before, said it’s not uncommon for the animals to visit the area. She said the animal meandered around the islands and rolled in the snow before disappearing from view Wednesday evening.
“It looked like he was having so much fun and it made me happy!” she said, adding that she took about 200 photos of the bear.
Police have issued a warning to people in the area to stay away from the bear.
A polar bear looks up at a cross in Wesleyville, N.L., on Wednesday, March 29, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Ocean View Photography, Jessica Andrews

Polar bear photographed 'praying' next to cross | GOTTA SEE IT! | Canada | News

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Heaven could get right interesting when the largest and deadliest land carnivore on the planet arrives.

Gives a whole new slant on "angel food."

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Grizzleys and polar bears,,and probably those black bears too go straight for the crotch. They'll come up behind a poor ole dumb cow and tear their guts out first and proceed to feast on the animal starting at the butthole. They're evil , nasty bastards. Maybe you watched Legends of the Fall and consider those killers honorable. Being a native maybe you believe that shyt. I don't fukk those bastards.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Grizzleys and polar bears,,and probably those black bears too go straight for the crotch. They'll come up behind a poor ole dumb cow and tear their guts out first and proceed to feast on the animal starting at the butthole. They're evil , nasty bastards.
They do what they do.

Maybe you watched Legends of the Fall and consider those killers honorable. Being a native maybe you believe that shyt.
No, honor is a human concept. On the upside, Ursus arctos doesn't slaughter millions in the name of an invisible friend in the sky, or over an imaginary line on the ground, or for pieces of paper.

I don't fukk those bastards.
Not more'n once, anyhow.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Public safety notice: WHen playing with black bear cubs wear welding gloves. ANd watch for momma. They have less sense of honour than a wife at 3am Sunday morning.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
bears are one of my favouritest animal.

There are a number of people on this planet whom have had and who have amazing relationships with certain bears and I am sooo envious of them.

That being said, polar bears know nothing about mans imaginary friend/overlord. He's probably wondering just how he's going to scratch his back on that ridiculously skinny tree.

Public safety notice: WHen playing with black bear cubs wear welding gloves. ANd watch for momma. They have less sense of honour than a wife at 3am Sunday morning.

Did you actually get that opportunity? to play with some black bear cubs? what was it like? what does their fur feel like? how big were they? where did you get such an opportunity and do you have pics you can share?

I would love an opportunity to play with baby bears.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Unfortunately if you feed a bear cub, someone will have to kill it some day

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Few years back I got to pet a lonely and very lost young bear in a suburban park. Poor thing. DNR relocated her out to western Maryland in the Appalachians. Fur's remarkably soft.

Happy bears purr. Just like cats.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
bears are one of my favouritest animal.

There are a number of people on this planet whom have had and who have amazing relationships with certain bears and I am sooo envious of them.

That being said, polar bears know nothing about mans imaginary friend/overlord. He's probably wondering just how he's going to scratch his back on that ridiculously skinny tree.

Did you actually get that opportunity? to play with some black bear cubs? what was it like? what does their fur feel like? how big were they? where did you get such an opportunity and do you have pics you can share?

I would love an opportunity to play with baby bears.
Them beasts would eat you for lunch azzend first.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
you get on a bear's feeding route and you may just end up feeding it alright

Few years back I got to pet a lonely and very lost young bear in a suburban park. Poor thing. DNR relocated her out to western Maryland in the Appalachians. Fur's remarkably soft.

Happy bears purr. Just like cats.

nice of them to save you
:)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Went on a fishing trip many years ago to the black river in the white mountains of Arizona. We got there, parked our truck and headed up river for some smallmouth and brook trout. Got back a couple hours later and one of those big nasty bastards was in the back of our truck, coolers ripped open and eating our lunch. Took a long time to get rid of the giant rat