What if Jesus had been born at a later date.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

I wonder how many of us find it a little strange that there are those of us who worship in front of an instrument of torture and death. The cross has not always been the symbol of freedom and redemption that many Christians now see it as. It was after all, a gruesome torture device reserved for criminals and enemies of the state. It was one of the worst possible ways one could die. It offered a death probably as painful as the one later favored by Christians of being burned at the stake as punishment for questioning the churches interpretation of scripture.
There are ancient dusty books with long philosophical threads of thought attempting to prove the cross is an actual metaphysical doorway into a more real world than this one. The cross is not unique to Christianity and the symbol in a simpler form + existed long before Christianity borrowed its meaning. However Christianity is the one faith that worships it as both torture stake and doorway.
If Jesus had appeared and been executed later in human history, we likely would be worshiping before a very different symbol. If say, Jesus had been beheaded by a guillotine, we would all be genuflecting in front of a guillotine. If he had been electrocuted in the electric chair, we would be genuflecting in front of a chair. If he had been hung by his neck until dead, we would be on our knees before a rope. If he had been executed by firing squad we could be kneeling before an AK 47 and some magic bullets.
Of course we would have written long philosophical explanations about the cosmic significance and meaning of chairs, electricity, ropes, knives, or perhaps even the cosmic significance of the holy guns and bullets. One has to wonder if there is any real cosmic significance for any of our most revered symbols. We are a very curious species indeed. - Chris Waller

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It would mean the ending comes later.
Cliffy, try and accept that God wrote the book for people who could actually study it on their own. I assume you have looked at a globe and are aware that all the nations on earth fit into 1/4 of the area the globe covers.

Jer:25:26:
And all the kings of the north,
far and near,
one with another,
and all the kingdoms of the world,
which are upon the face of the earth:

and the king of Sheshach shall drink after them.

Re:6:7:
And when he had opened the fourth seal,
I heard the voice of the fourth beast say,
Come and see.
Re:6:8:
And I looked,
and behold a pale horse:
and his name that sat on him was Death,
and Hell followed with him.
And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth,
to kill with sword,
and with hunger,
and with death,
and with the beasts of the earth.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Pretty touchy!

Why would you back up a bigot like Cliffy?

Must have struck a nerve with you.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
come on, try something original for a change. It'll do your brain good.
That was his best effort, he always uses his best effort. His best just isn't very good. lol

Oh, so you were commenting on your first post then?

Cliffy,

2Pe:3:9:
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise,
as some men count slackness;
but is longsuffering to us-ward,
not willing that any should perish,
but that all should come to repentance.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It would mean the ending comes later.
Cliffy, try and accept that God wrote the book for people who could actually study it on their own.
I did study it and came to the conclusion that it was written by men to stunt human spiritual growth and potential. I am not trying to convert anybody. This OP was written by a friend and I thought it was not only well written but funny too. You should grab a sense of humour. Smack is beyond help though.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I did study it and came to the conclusion that it was written by men to stunt human spiritual growth and potential. I am not trying to convert anybody. This OP was written by a friend and I thought it was not only well written but funny too. You should grab a sense of humour. Smack is beyond help though.
Eaglecrack still suffering with bone on fo Troomp

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I did study it and came to the conclusion that it was written by men to stunt human spiritual growth and potential. I am not trying to convert anybody..

The gospel of Cliffyanity is so much more profound though.

It's Apostle's Creed.

You are a fluke of the Universe. A pestilence.
You have no right to be here, and whether you can hear it or not,
The Universe is laughing behind your back.
Therefore make peace with your God whatever you conceive him to be,
Hairy Thunderer or Cosmic Muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
GIVE UP!

http://web.mit.edu/~yandros/poetry/deteriorata

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Hi everybody!

Jesus was born at a later date, but no one is around to testify to his being born approximately 100 years after he was said to have been born. Therefore, it is accepted that his birth, albeit inaccurately reported, was in fact later. But sooner, if you're not a scholar.

And not even the right time of year if you are a scholar, but absolutely rejected because it was felt that people with too much education were just being smart a$$e$ and showing off how much money their parents had.

So, without further ado, this is a historic reenactment of Jesus predicting that Disco would be a world wide phenom, years after he would die.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Pretty touchy!

Why would you back up a bigot like Cliffy?

Must have struck a nerve with you.

me? touchy? not really.

why would you assume anyone believes the same things you do about cliffy?

Must have touched a nerve with you, eh? Projection sux dude.