No Other Way

Motar
#61
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Of course no. Only the delusional who think they are special, above everybody else.

"To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 'Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the
other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14 NIV)
 
Motar
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

In the gospel recorded by the apostle John and in the 3rd chapter, the musts are revealed:
1) "You must be born again" (v7)
2) "the Son of Man must be lifted up" (v14)
3) "He must become greater; I must become less." (v30)

The conclusion of the matter:

"Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." (John 20:30-31 NIV)
 
cj44
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Of course no. Only the delusional who think they are special, above everybody else.

It's been quite some time since I visited the forum. I see everyone is still getting along swimmingly. Methinks we MUST be born again because…
Alert: Scripture Quote Forthcoming. As I recall, some on the forum recoil at the sight of Scripture verse. Nonetheless…
Romans 3:9No One Is Righteous
9 What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin.

Perhaps, we all agree that we all do not always act as Jesus would. Maybe that is why he stressed that we MUST be born again. Yes, and even after one is born again one can still act like a pompous jerk.
Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays to all.
 
Ludlow
+1
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by cj44View Post

It's been quite some time since I visited the forum. I see everyone is still getting along swimmingly. Methinks we MUST be born again because…
Alert: Scripture Quote Forthcoming. As I recall, some on the forum recoil at the sight of Scripture verse. Nonetheless…
Romans 3:9No One Is Righteous
9 What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin.

Perhaps, we all agree that we all do not always act as Jesus would. Maybe that is why he stressed that we MUST be born again. Yes, and even after one is born again one can still act like a pompous jerk.
Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays to all.

Could it be possible that there might be another perspective on this " born again " statement?
 
cj44
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Could it be possible that there might be another perspective on this " born again " statement?

Indeed! Expand on that Perspective Ludlow.
 
Motar
#66
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Could it be possible that there might be another perspective on this " born again " statement?

"You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again." (John 3:7 NIV)
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#67
Neither should you be surprised when someone rejects that claim as meaningless.
 
Ludlow
#68
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Neither should you be surprised when someone rejects that claim as meaningless.

It's meaningless to you. Not meaningless to her.
 
Motar
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Neither should you be surprised when someone rejects that claim as meaningless.

Your avatar says otherwise, DS. Have you not re-invented yourself as "Dexter Sinister"? Seems you are seeking a new life.
 
Dexter Sinister
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Your avatar says otherwise, DS. Have you not re-invented yourself as "Dexter Sinister"? Seems you are seeking a new life.

A remarkably self-serving interpretation based on no real understanding at all. The idea underlying my avatar comes from the subtitle of one of Carl Sagan's books, The Demon-Haunted World, "Science As A Candle In The Dark." Dexter Sinister is just the name I use here and elsewhere to preserve my anonymity. There are enough whackos online to make that necessary--would you want an aggressively ignorant and judgmental person like selfsame to be able to find you?-- but the ideas, beliefs, and values I express here are the same ones I express in real life, this is really me. I'm seeking many things, but a new life isn't among them and even if it were, I wouldn't be looking for it here.
 
Danbones
#71
you have to die and be reborn to have eternal life

anybody else not see the "wtf?" in that?
 
Corduroy
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

3) "He must become greater; I must become less." (v30)

It's a zero sum game is it? Follow me and I will make us all greater. MAGA
 
Motar
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

you have to die and be reborn to have eternal life

anybody else not see the "wtf?" in that?

As an adult, DB, you are experienced with this concept of repentance.

Repentance = to turn (or return) from something to something; a renouncing to acquire

To lay hold of adulthood, we forego childhood. To experience marriage, we abandon single life. To become parents, we give up childlessness. Life is a series of losses towards gains.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

A remarkably self-serving interpretation based on no real understanding at all.

Repentance means that we must abandon the low road of ad hominems to access the high road of love, DS.
 
Cliffy
#74
To be born again means to become as a child, full of wonder; to see the world through new, innocent eyes. It has nothing to do with religion, the bible or Jesus. We are born into a world that brainwashes us from birth to conform to social sameness, to see the world as we are told it is, not how it is. To be born again, one must step outside the box of social, political and religious conformity, to discover who and what we really are, not who we were told we had to be.
The spiritual journey is one of self discovery. The religious experience is a complete abandonment of our personal responsibility toward life, the Earth and our creator. Jesus said that once we realize who we really are, we would be able to do far more than he has done or we could imagine. That can only be accomplished by stepping away from belief systems and trusting in the innate benevolence of the Life/Universe. Faith has nothing to do with what you believe and everything to do with an open mind and heart. Faith is trust. If you want to know, go to the Source. Hint: The Source will never be found in books or at the feet of a teacher/guru. They may equip you with tools for the journey, but the journey does not begin until you walk away; take you first step on your journey. Following teachings/books/belief systems is to lock yourself in a box; to die spiritually.
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#75
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Repentance means that we must abandon the low road of ad hominems to access the high road of love, DS.

That wasn't an ad hominem, it was my opinion of a judgment you offered of me, not my opinion of you.
 
Ludlow
#76
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

To be born again means to become as a child, full of wonder; to see the world through new, innocent eyes. It has nothing to do with religion, the bible or Jesus. We are born into a world that brainwashes us from birth to conform to social sameness, to see the world as we are told it is, not how it is. To be born again, one must step outside the box of social, political and religious conformity, to discover who and what we really are, not who we were told we had to be.
The spiritual journey is one of self discovery. The religious experience is a complete abandonment of our personal responsibility toward life, the Earth and our creator. Jesus said that once we realize who we really are, we would be able to do far more than he has done or we could imagine. That can only be accomplished by stepping away from belief systems and trusting in the innate benevolence of the Life/Universe. Faith has nothing to do with what you believe and everything to do with an open mind and heart. Faith is trust. If you want to know, go to the Source. Hint: The Source will never be found in books or at the feet of a teacher/guru. They may equip you with tools for the journey, but the journey does not begin until you walk away; take you first step on your journey. Following teachings/books/belief systems is to lock yourself in a box; to die spiritually.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
What would Buddah say about being born again Cliffy ?
 
Cliffy
+1
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

What would Buddah say about being born again Cliffy ?

How would I know. I don't know the dude. I am somewhat familiar with Zen, though. I really don't think any of the masters wanted to start a religion. In fact. I believe Jesus was completely against religion. It was Paul who screwed the whole thing up by starting a religion about Jesus. Most Christians don't have any idea what Jesus taught.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#78
The other day I was walking in DC when a homeless guy asked if I could spare a dollar. I said "Tell you what, you can have half of whatever I got." Dug out my wallet, turned out I had $232 on me. So homeless guy got 120 (I gave him the extra 20). Didn't have to set up a worldwide pedophile ring to do it, didn't have to burn any women to death, murder babies and throw their bodies in the septic tank, or torture any little Indian kids.

Didn't have to praise Jeebus neither. Just seemed fair at the moment. I think St. Martin of Tours would agree.
 
Corduroy
#79
Yeah, but you're still going to hell.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Yeah, but you're still going to hell.

I'll save you a place by the fire. Should be a pretty nice place what with all the self-righteous child rapists in Heaven.
 
Ludlow
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

How would I know. I don't know the dude. I am somewhat familiar with Zen, though. I really don't think any of the masters wanted to start a religion. In fact. I believe Jesus was completely against religion. It was Paul who screwed the whole thing up by starting a religion about Jesus. Most Christians don't have any idea what Jesus taught.

It's a fair bet that the Beatitudes were contained in the hypothetical Q source. As far as what Buddah would say about the term "born again"., seeing as how he had Hindu roots it would probably be a literal interpretation.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#82
I'm pretty sure he'd say "It's B-U-D-D-H-A, you illiterate moron!"
 
Ludlow
#83
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

The other day I was walking in DC when a homeless guy asked if I could spare a dollar. I said "Tell you what, you can have half of whatever I got." Dug out my wallet, turned out I had $232 on me. So homeless guy got 120 (I gave him the extra 20). Didn't have to set up a worldwide pedophile ring to do it, didn't have to burn any women to death, murder babies and throw their bodies in the septic tank, or torture any little Indian kids.

Didn't have to praise Jeebus neither. Just seemed fair at the moment. I think St. Martin of Tours would agree.

You either have empathy or you do not. Clearly you do which does not surprise me.
 
Corduroy
+1
#84
I think the Buddha would smack you upside the head and say "all life is suffering, bitch."
 
Tecumsehsbones
#85
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

I think the Buddha would smack you upside the head and say "all life is suffering, bitch."

"Now get me a plate of pork and a bottle of wine!"
 
Ludlow
+1
#86
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

I think the Buddha would smack you upside the head and say "all life is suffering, bitch."

Maybe so. Or he'd tell you about attachments and the 8 fold path. But that has nothing to do with the question. Nicodemas , a learned man of religion didn't know what born again meant either.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I'll save you a place by the fire. Should be a pretty nice place what with all the self-righteous child rapists in Heaven.

Same ole shallow thinking. Heaven, is a state of mind just like hell. Damn atheists interpret just as literally as theists. And then say how stupid the theists are.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#87
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Maybe so. Or he'd tell you about attachments and the 8 fold path. But that has nothing to do with the question. Nicodemas , a learned man of religion didn't know what born again meant either.


Same ole shallow thinking. Heaven, is a state of mind just like hell. Damn atheists interpret just as literally as theists. And then say how stupid the theists are.

In a laundromat not too far from the Alamo
Sits a girl who stole my records not so long ago
And she wishes, wants, and washes out them dirty clothes
And she shuts her eyes and dreams about a one-eyed Joe
A one-eyed Joe
Car parked on a dirty road
Heaven knows the load she pulls
Couldn't stand the strain
Her saddle's in the rain
 
Corduroy
#88
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

"Now get me a plate of pork and a bottle of wine!"

Soy pork

Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Maybe so. Or he'd tell you about attachments and the 8 fold path. But that has nothing to do with the question. Nicodemas , a learned man of religion didn't know what born again meant either.

Nicodemas, is that a nicotine patch? Being born again is when you throw out your last cigarette.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#89
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Soy pork

Not at all. Ol' Buddy ate meat, and was particularly fond of pork.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#90
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

In the gospel recorded by the apostle John and in the 3rd chapter, the musts are revealed:
1) "You must be born again" (v7)
2) "the Son of Man must be lifted up" (v14)
3) "He must become greater; I must become less." (v30)

I take it you have not yet been born again.
 
no new posts