In other words ...

Dexter Sinister
+1
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Religion is a form of godliness without substance. Faith is reasoned response to revelation.

No, religion is the belief in and worship of at least one supernatural being that's presumed to have some interest in us. There may be more than one of them, depending on the details of a particular religion. Faith is uncritically buying the claimed revelation without demanding any corroborating evidence. It's not reasoned at all, it's an emotional response that I'm convinced is mostly wishful thinking.

There is no evidence you can produce, no argument you can make, in support of your particular beliefs that in principle someone with very different beliefs couldn't also use to support theirs, with some minor changes in details like names, dates, and locations. You have a book that makes certain claims about reality. Jews have a different book, very similar to yours but it omits a lot of what's in yours. Muslims have a different book that repeats many of the stories in your book and the Jews' book but puts a very different spin on them and makes some additional claims about being the final revelation, something your book and the Jews' book clearly deny, there's another revelation yet to come. But your book and the Jews' book fundamentally disagree on the nature of that revelation. Hindus have another different book that bears almost no resemblance to the books of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims, it's a completely different tradition, and polytheistic. What basis is there for choosing which one is correct? None at all, just the books' claims about themselves, which is a logical fallacy, not a valid argument. By all the rules of reason and evidence you've got nothing but emotive claims about what you'd like to be true, and if you'd grown up in a different culture you'd be making different claims. They might be revealing of the person who makes them, but they can't even be legitimately described as true or false, they can't be tested or falsified or proven and thus have no propositional content at all.
Last edited by Dexter Sinister; Sep 23rd, 2016 at 02:49 AM..
 
Motar
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Motar do you ever wonder if the god of the old testament is the same god Jesus was talking about ?

No, LL. I just read a passage in Genesis this morning that foreshadows the incarnation of Christ Jesus.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

... You have a book that makes certain claims about reality. Jews have a different book, very similar to yours but it omits a lot of what's in yours ... What basis is there for choosing which one is correct? ...

More than a book, DS. He put it in my hands and as I read it, He came into view : ) The correct book is the one that led me to Him.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

There is no evidence you can produce, no argument you can make, in support of your particular beliefs that in principle someone with very different beliefs couldn't also use to support theirs, with some minor changes in details like names, dates, and locations.

Actually, there is. They can always engage in logical fallacies, outright whoppers, and arrant lunacy until their interlocutors walk away in sheer disgust.
 
MHz
#34
You being on a religious thread is like a pregnant hooker, neither one is very good at their job.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

No, religion is the belief in and worship of at least one supernatural being that's presumed to have some interest in us. There may be more than one of them, depending on the details of a particular religion. Faith is uncritically buying the claimed revelation without demanding any corroborating evidence. It's not reasoned at all, it's an emotional response that I'm convinced is mostly wishful thinking.

Why don't you apply that critical thinking to headlines like the Gulf of Tonkin and the war that followed the lie? Why don't you apply that critical thinking to headlines like Saddam was involved in 9/11? I could post another 10 very well known lies promoted by the West yet they all get a pass by you and that critical thinking ability you claim to have.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#35
Take your pills.
 
MHz
#36
I'm in no danger of getting pregnant. More bad advice, at least you are batting 1000 at something.
 
Cliffy
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

You being on a religious thread is like a pregnant hooker, neither one is very good at their job.


Why don't you apply that critical thinking to headlines like the Gulf of Tonkin and the war that followed the lie? Why don't you apply that critical thinking to headlines like Saddam was involved in 9/11? I could post another 10 very well known lies promoted by the West yet they all get a pass by you and that critical thinking ability you claim to have.

Those are strawman arguments and have nothing to do with what the OP is about. Critical thinking tells me that most of your views on international politics are mostly bang on but your biblical "thinking" is fantasy.
 
DaSleeper
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Take your pills.

Actually, the first part of his post made sense....
 
MHz
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Actually, the first part of his post made sense....

I'm honored, may God have mercy on your furry little soul.
 
Motar
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

I just read a passage in Genesis this morning that foreshadows the incarnation of Christ Jesus.

"Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, 'Abraham!' 'Here I am,' he replied. Then God said, 'Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.'

Early the next morning Abraham got up and loaded his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about. On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. He said to his servants, 'Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you.'

Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, 'Father?, 'Yes, my son?' Abraham replied. 'The fire and wood are here,' Isaac said, 'but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?' Abraham answered, 'God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." (Genesis 22:1-8 NIV)
 

Similar Threads

24
R-words
by Locutus | Oct 29th, 2015
0
The Words .
by china | Jul 11th, 2008
11
Words
by donvonbra | Aug 16th, 2004
no new posts