The “sin lists” in the NT condemn all habitual sinners!

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick DangerView Post

On the surface how can the answer be anything other than "wrong" ? Now you can complicate the hell out of that with all sorts of "what ifs" but in its simplest sense it would be wrong not to share, wouldn't it?

Nope, not gonna complicate anything with hypotheticals, just observe that one of the bedrock principles of your law and ours is that "property is not a thing, it is a bundle of rights, chief of which is the right to exclude others." Lord Coke.

So your assertion that it's wrong would hold that one of the fundamental tenets of Anglo-American-Canadian common law is morally wrong.

Quote:

But you do accept societal laws governing things like personal safety and property ownership?

Accept 'em? I'll uphold 'em with my life.

Well, your life, maybe.

Nick Danger
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Nope, not gonna complicate anything with hypotheticals, just observe that one of the bedrock principles of your law and ours is that "property is not a thing, it is a bundle of rights, chief of which is the right to exclude others." Lord Coke.

So your assertion that it's wrong would hold that one of the fundamental tenets of Anglo-American-Canadian common law is morally wrong.

I guess it is. But let's not forget that that particular law was put in place to protect us from those who cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, it was born of necessity, not morality.

Just out of curiosity, what are you speaking of when you speak of "your law and ours"?

Quote:

Accept 'em? I'll uphold 'em with my life.

Well, your life, maybe.

Even if religious laws essentially cover the same territory? It's not uncommon to see people discount religious beliefs as useless even though the ultimate goal of most religious rules is not dissimilar to societal law, lliving with mutual respect.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick DangerView Post

I guess it is. But let's not forget that that particular law was put in place to protect us from those who cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, it was born of necessity, not morality.

Just out of curiosity, what are you speaking of when you speak of "your law and ours"?

I'm assuming you're Canadian. If not, didn't mean nothing by it. Property law's pretty much the same in both.

By the way, do you have any evidence that property law was put into place to protect us from people that can't tell right from wrong?

Quote:

Even if religious laws essentially cover the same territory? It's not uncommon to see people discount religious beliefs as useless even though the ultimate goal of most religious rules is not dissimilar to societal law, lliving with mutual respect.

If, as you hold, right and wrong are instinctive, then religious law is no more necessary than common, code, or statutory law.

Religious laws come from the time when the church and the state were pretty much the same thing. Funny part is I never saw nobody imprisoned for failing to be charitable. Seen a lot of 'em imprisoned for making use of somebody else's property, or for using certain substances, or suchlike.

Motar

How can gravity be suspended?

The gravity of these discussions is suspended all the time, TB by trolling and other forms of levity : )

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

The gravity of these discussions is suspended all the time, TB by trolling and other forms of levity : )

I accept your surrender. No, no, you must keep your sword. I insist.

Motar

I accept your surrender. No, no, you must keep your sword. I insist.

Deep space in the presence of a perfect vacuum. (Dyson?)

Tecumsehsbones

Deep space in the presence of a perfect vacuum. (Dyson?)

Don't be silly. Vacuum has nothing to do with it, and gravity is everywhere, at the gravitational constant. The gravity of an electron on the far side of the galaxy is affecting you right now.

Motar

Don't be silly. Vacuum has nothing to do with it, and gravity is everywhere, at the gravitational constant. The gravity of an electron on the far side of the galaxy is affecting you right now.

Likewise, spiritual reality, TB. It is everywhere and is affecting you right now.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Likewise, spiritual reality, TB. It is everywhere and is affecting you right now.

Of course it is. I'm no less given to fantasy than anybody else. I just know the difference.

Nick Danger

By the way, do you have any evidence that property law was put into place to protect us from people that can't tell right from wrong?

Not a shred, other than the thought that laws are generally enacted to discourage wrongful behavior. Perhaps "can't tell right from wrong" was a poor choice of words, a better description would have been "People who care little for the difference between right and wrong".

Quote:

If, as you hold, right and wrong are instinctive, then religious law is no more necessary than common, code, or statutory law.

Religious laws come from the time when the church and the state were pretty much the same thing. Funny part is I never saw nobody imprisoned for failing to be charitable. Seen a lot of 'em imprisoned for making use of somebody else's property, or for using certain substances, or suchlike.

Laws are not for the law abiding as much as they are for laying out standards of behavior for people prone to deviating from those standards. And it's certainly not unusual for moral law and statutory law to be at quite a distance from each other. People can be imprisoned for making use of someone else's property without permission, That doesn't mean that there isn't a moral obligation on the owner's part to make his/her property available to others should the need warrant.

In most situations there's nothing illegal about being selfish, but it is still being selfish.

eh1eh

Of course it is. I'm no less given to fantasy than anybody else. I just know the difference.

Reality bites for the devout.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Reality bites for the devout.

The Christian religion of my youth barely resembles the Christianity of today. It seems the newer version was heavily influenced by Disney World.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

If God created everybody perfect how could mankind be divided into some having a bit of an advantage by being alive for the 1,000 years while the much larger group has to wait until that time period is over before they receive the same rewards? That marks the difference between those that are called 'great' and those that are called the 'least' while being in the same Kingdom of God.

M't:5:19:
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments,
and shall teach men so,
he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:
but whosoever shall do and teach them,
the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Gods idea of perfect not mans idea of perfect. We were created perfectly suited for the assigned role in creation.

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Gods idea of perfect not mans idea of perfect.

Truth, DB.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV)

Cliffy

Ludlow

Truth, DB.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV)

yet still there are those who claim to speak for this incomprehensible deity. How does that work.?

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

yet still there are those who claim to speak for this incomprehensible deity. How does that work.?

Who are "those who claim to speak for this incomprehensible deity", LL?

Cliffy