The Storm B4 the Calm

Motar
+1
#1
In the three synoptic gospels, we find the doctrine of Christ concerning unbelief:

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet." (Matthew 10:14 NIV)

"And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." (Mark 6:11 NIV)

"If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them."(Luke 9:5 NIV)

In Luke's accounts, we find the practice of this doctrine:

"Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near." (Luke 10:11 NIV)

"So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:51 NIV)

Are there some hopeless cases? Are some people beyond redemption and restoration? What becomes of those left behind in the dust?
 
Ludlow
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

In the three synoptic gospels, we find the doctrine of Christ concerning unbelief:

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet." (Matthew 10:14 NIV)

"And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." (Mark 6:11 NIV)

"If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them."(Luke 9:5 NIV)

In Luke's accounts, we find the practice of this doctrine:

"Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near." (Luke 10:11 NIV)

"So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:51 NIV)

Are there some hopeless cases? Are some people beyond redemption and restoration? What becomes of those left behind in the dust?

There is a common fact in those verses that you are ignoring and applying the subject matter universally. What might that be ?
 
Motar
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

There is a common fact in those verses that you are ignoring and applying the subject matter universally. What might that be ?

Tell us, LL.
 
Motar
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

In the three synoptic gospels, we find the doctrine of Christ concerning unbelief:

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet." (Matthew 10:14 NIV)

"And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." (Mark 6:11 NIV)

"If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them."(Luke 9:5 NIV)

In Luke's accounts, we find the practice of this doctrine:

"Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near." (Luke 10:11 NIV)

"So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:51 NIV)

Are there some hopeless cases? Are some people beyond redemption and restoration? What becomes of those left behind in the dust?

In cultural and historical context, LL, Yeshua is referencing the Jewish notion that even dust from Gentile territory defiles a religious Jew, who will endeavor to shake the dust from his feet after contact with Gentile soil.
 
darkbeaver
#5
Gentiles rule, get used to it, it/s our planet, we tuirn the screws, you look on in wonder.
 
Dexter Sinister
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Are there some hopeless cases? Are some people beyond redemption and restoration?

Yes, I'm one of them, and glad to be so, because I'm convinced those beliefs have nothing to do with reality. There is no deity, never has been, never will be, that's all mythology, which does have certain didactic values and purposes but the literal truth isn't among them. We're on our own here, nobody's going to save us from ourselves but ourselves.
 
MHz
#7
'Convinced' by something other than solid proof. I fail to see how that makes your version 'better' than any other one? The book is a better argument for their being a single entity rather than it supporting your myth version.
 
Motar
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Yes, I'm one of them, and glad to be so, because I'm convinced those beliefs have nothing to do with reality. There is no deity, never has been, never will be, that's all mythology, which does have certain didactic values and purposes but the literal truth isn't among them. We're on our own here, nobody's going to save us from ourselves but ourselves.

There are hard cases, DS, but none are hopeless.

In the biblical context of the OP, Yeshua is sending his Jewish apostles to potential Jewish believers. He instructs his envoys to shake the dust off their feet in the presence of Jewish unbelief. Contemporary apostles do likewise in a spiritual sense in the presence of any and all unbelief.

But how is this related to the title of the thread?

The Storm B4 the Calm is the series of events described in Revelation. The storm references the unprecedented trials of the revelation period. The calm refers to the era of the legitimate King and kingdom that follows.

During the apocalypse, an unprecedented ingathering of both Jewish and Gentile believers is predicted. Some of these latter day believers will be the hard cases who are left in the dust of previous revelation and personal unbelief.

There is hope : )
 
Cliffy
#9
Maybe Jesus already came back... what if he was that Palestinian baby that was burned to death by that Jewish settler? Or maybe he was that little drowned Syrian toddler that was splashed all across the news. Maybe he was one of those little stillborn deformed babies in Iraq... not all who wonder are lost. - Anji Hope Jones
 
Ludlow
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Maybe Jesus already came back... what if he was that Palestinian baby that was burned to death by that Jewish settler? Or maybe he was that little drowned Syrian toddler that was splashed all across the news. Maybe he was one of those little stillborn deformed babies in Iraq... not all who wonder are lost. - Anji Hope Jones

maybe he is all those people and more Cliffy

Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Tell us, LL.

Interesting that you always answer a question with a question.
 
Curious Cdn
#11
Are there some hopeless cases? Are some people beyond redemption and restoration? What becomes of those left behind in the dust?


They declare themselves to be "born again" and that seems to get them in the door. No need to follow Christ's teachings after that.
 
lone wolf
#12
I've kinda felt that way a time or two. It would annoy me all to Hell if some terrorist club took credit for my freedom fighting
 
talloola
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

In the three synoptic gospels, we find the doctrine of Christ concerning unbelief:

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet." (Matthew 10:14 NIV)

"And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." (Mark 6:11 NIV)

"If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them."(Luke 9:5 NIV)

In Luke's accounts, we find the practice of this doctrine:

"Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near." (Luke 10:11 NIV)

"So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium." (Acts 13:51 NIV)

Are there some hopeless cases? Are some people beyond redemption and restoration? What becomes of those left behind in the dust?

yeah, that's right good timing, its very calm here right now, but the heavy rain and storm just left,
its the calm after the storm, but good weather report just the same, cause early it was calm before the storm, comes and goes, good for the garden. !!!!!!
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

'Convinced' by something other than solid proof. I fail to see how that makes your version 'better' than any other one? The book is a better argument for their being a single entity rather than it supporting your myth version.

The book constitutes no argument at all for there being a single entity, many entities, or no entities. it's not what you think it is and doesn't mean what you think it does. It's mythology no different in nature or principle from any other myths that have come down to us from previous cultures. I'm convinced by the complete absence of solid evidence and reason in support of those claims that they're false.

Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

There are hard cases, DS, but none are hopeless.

I don't think you quite understand my point. That's not a hope I want to have, I think it's an utterly false hope that will lead us into destructive errors, such as not taking steps to save ourselves and our planet in the false hope that some deity is going to do it for us.
Quote:

In the biblical context of the OP...

The biblical context is mythological. It is not a good guide to reality, nor is it a good source for moral and ethical teachings unless you cherry pick the good bits based on some other values than what are expressed in the text.
 
lone wolf
#15
The kind of hope that makes nutbars think there's a play again button is a dangerous thing - especially if I have the button....
 
Cliffy
+2
#16  Top Rated Post
 
Motar
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I don't think you quite understand my point. That's not a hope I want to have, I think it's an utterly false hope that will lead us into destructive errors, such as not taking steps to save ourselves and our planet in the false hope that some deity is going to do it for us. The biblical context is mythological. It is not a good guide to reality, nor is it a good source for moral and ethical teachings unless you cherry pick the good bits based on some other values than what are expressed in the text.

I quite understand your point, DS. I once held similar opinions myself : )
 
MHz
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Cliffy through the centuries.
 
Dexter Sinister
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

I quite understand your point, DS. I once held similar opinions myself : )

And I once held opinions similar to yours. I grew up with them then cast them off in my 20s when I understood how bad the evidence is. What led you astray?
 
Motar
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

And I once held opinions similar to yours. I grew up with them then cast them off in my 20s when I understood how bad the evidence is. What led you astray?

Grace and truth : )
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#21
You've been tricked.
 
Motar
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

You've been tricked.

Enlightened.
 
Motar
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Gentiles rule, get used to it, it/s our planet, we tuirn the screws, you look on in wonder.

Until the "times of the Gentiles are fulfilled", DB. (Luke 21:24 NIV)
 
Corduroy
+2
#24
Wipe your feet before you enter my home. Better yet, take your shoes off. This ain't a barn.
 
Dexter Sinister
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Enlightened.

Um... no. Wishful thinking maybe, or confirmation bias, probably the most common perceptual and cognitive error people make. There is no good evidence, no good argument, that supports your views that also uniquely distinguishes them from other religious opinions. There is nothing you can offer that doesn't apply equally well to any of the thousands of other religious traditions the human imagination has invented. There are millions of people with religious beliefs just as deeply held as yours but completely inconsistent with yours, and the evidence and arguments offered in support of them are all fundamentally the same. The probability that you're right is vanishingly small.
 
Motar
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Um... no. Wishful thinking maybe, or confirmation bias, probably the most common perceptual and cognitive error people make. There is no good evidence, no good argument, that supports your views that also uniquely distinguishes them from other religious opinions. There is nothing you can offer that doesn't apply equally well to any of the thousands of other religious traditions the human imagination has invented. There are millions of people with religious beliefs just as deeply held as yours but completely inconsistent with yours, and the evidence and arguments offered in support of them are all fundamentally the same. The probability that you're right is vanishingly small.

Your opinions concerning religious opinions, traditions and beliefs are noted, Dex. However, I am speaking about revelation and reasoned faith - a living hope. (1Peter 1:3-5)
 
Tecumsehsbones
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Um... no. Wishful thinking maybe, or confirmation bias, probably the most common perceptual and cognitive error people make. There is no good evidence, no good argument, that supports your views that also uniquely distinguishes them from other religious opinions. There is nothing you can offer that doesn't apply equally well to any of the thousands of other religious traditions the human imagination has invented. There are millions of people with religious beliefs just as deeply held as yours but completely inconsistent with yours, and the evidence and arguments offered in support of them are all fundamentally the same. The probability that you're right is vanishingly small.

Pro wrestling ISN'T FAKE!
 
Cliffy
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by MotarView Post

Your opinions concerning religious opinions, traditions and beliefs are noted, Dex. However, I am speaking about revelation and reasoned faith - a living hope. (1Peter 1:3-5)

Hope is wishful thinking, not faith. Faith cannot be reasoned. It is not an intellectual enterprise. Faith is trust. Faith is experienced. It has nothing to do with belief or gods. It cannot be found in books or dispensed by teachers.
 
coldstream
#29
we live in a reckless apostate age. The great delusion of our time is there will not be consequences, that we won't reap the whirlwind for sewing the wind.. in abortion, euthenasia, homosexuality.. all proscribed in the founding faith of the West.. it will turn of us 10 fold and tear us apart.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

we live in a reckless apostate age. The great delusion of our time is there will not be consequences, that we won't reap the whirlwind for sewing the wind.. in abortion, euthenasia, homosexuality.. all proscribed in the founding faith of the West.. it will turn of us 10 fold and tear us apart.

We should stick with genocide, slavery, racism, and war. . . all things practiced and promoted by the founding faith of the west.
 

Similar Threads

0
Is this the calm before the war storm?
by Sublime | Apr 7th, 2009
0
Calm before the storm: or the way to keep peace
by Researcher87 | Oct 18th, 2006
0
SOS Calm!
by peapod | Feb 26th, 2005
no new posts